• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Santiago De Compostella to Rome Travel After

rherstell

Hi there,

I am doing my Camino end of April/May and am wondering which is the best way to get to Rome afterwards?

My ideas so far are:
1. Fly direct (but this takes anywhere up to 17 hours!)
2. Bus to Madrid, then fly to rome
3. Train

Any Ideas?
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You could fly to Madrid on Ryanair and then to Rome.

If you are up for an adventure, fly on Vueling from SDC to Barcelona, then take the ferry from Barcelona to Civitavecchia, then a train to Rome. I did that after my Camino last year. It was a lot of fun. I spent a week in Barcelona, then took the overnight ferry (it's more like a cruise ship that takes cars!) to Italy. I splurged for the cabin, which was 120 Euro, if I remember correctly. If you want to go cheap, it's 15 Euro to find your own spot to sleep, or 45 Euro (I think) to have a reclining chair to sleep. The ferry leaves around 10p and arrives around 4p the next day. I booked through http://www.aferry.com. You can also just buy a ticket at the ferry terminal in Barcelona.

It's an idea. I learned about it from some peregrinos on the Camino and I'm glad I did it. I had a blast and lots of great stories.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last summer, my family flew directly (3 hr flight?) from SCQ (Santiago airport) to Rome on Ryan Air for about $60 round trip (US $), per ticket...yes $60!!! Keep checking their website. Flights can be rediculously inexpensive. I recall an option that was 8 Euros one way, but the date did not work for us. Not sure if the flights operate daily, but certainly there are a few each week.

Most read last week in this forum