• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sleeping outside

sencha-lover

Hello,
Starting 25th June me and my girlfriend will walk Camino del Norte from SJdP via GR10, Hendaya and so on. By now I am almost calm and I think we have all equipment we might need etc. - only one thing is making me nervous...
Please, tell me, do you think that it is safe to sleep outside in that area :?:
Thanks for replies,
Adam

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Adam, In 2009 I walked on the Del norte from Bayonne. When I got to St Jean de Luz there was not a bed to be had in town. All the locals told me to go and sleep on the beach, but as I was travelling alone I decided that I didn't feel comfortable (safe) doing that, and so walked out of town till I found a spot that was in shadow from the street lights. I put on my grey clothes as camoflauge and slept outside. A couple of days later I realised that I would not make it to the albergue in San Sebastian in time to get a bottom bunk (I don't like climbing onto the top bunks) and so when I realised that I just kept my eyes open for a spot to get off the road and dos down (a nice soft bed on pine nbeedles that night!) Then in a very full albergue in Santillana del Mar I borrowed someones sleeping mat and slept out under the bike porch. I didn't carry a tent - nor a sleeping mat - and always felt safe though sleep was more restless because of the hardness of the ground, compared to a matress!

Cheers, Janet

Most read last week in this forum