• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Some basic questions/help

PeterBarry

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Norte
Portuguese
Le Puy to SJPDP
Hi,
I have been on the Norte befiore, however never at this time of the year.
I intend to start at Irun April 3rd and walk to Santander in 10 to 12 days.

I was wondering about the fowwloing.

1. Does the Alburgue in San Sebastien open in April over the Easter period?
If not, can anyone recommend a place to stay in San Sebastien, near to the Alburgue.

2. Can Anyone tell if the Ferry from Laredo to Sentona, is still running normally at this time of the year?

3. Deba, I have heard of a new alburgue in Deba, is this true, and if so where is it?

Many Thanks for any help.

Peter

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks folks for your replies.
You have been very helpful.

I was also wondering about kit, and weather.
I normally bring a sleep bag liner.
However in April with temperatures lower, I am not sure if that will suffice.
Will there be heating in the albuergues?
Also, I am concerned about laundry.
In summer its relatively easy to dry, but in April maybe not!

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Buen Camino

Peter

I walked in September and a Spanish friend of mine who does a lot of mountain walking in Spain told me bring a sleeping bag, not so much because of the temperature itself but because at the end of a rainy day I would welcome a warm bed. Turns out it was scortching hot with rain only seen 1 day. So I would say Spring = Fall, so bring the sleeping bag, and be ready not to use it closed ;0) As for drying clothes, yes, it can be a problem, so opt for Merino wool clothing rather than synthetics because they don't smell as bad at the end of the day and could be worn 2-3 days in a row, until you find a place with a dryer. Deba albergue has one, Castro Urdiales has a centrifugadora that works magic. Can't remember what other albergues may have driers, as I said, 34degree temps and no rain, I didn't them, this time ;0)

Generally there are radiators people sling their drying clothes over. (Be careful not to be a hog about it and remove your things when they're dry, please.) I have a Spark sleeping bag that weighs 12 oz and packs down to a 1/2 football size. I walked April 19 to June 1 (2012) and was walking in the cold and wet for about 3 and a half weeks of that. I used my sleeping bag most nights. It is treated with Permethrin so sometimes as nothing more than a bed cover.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum