• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte Planning w/ Questions

asl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2023, Norte (2024)
I walked the Frances last summer and now planning for the Norte later this year. Timing can be flexible though early Aug is out as have plans to be in Paris. Ideally, I would start in Bayonne to get a couple days without heavy climbs to re-acclimate the legs. Training is already underway.

For those who have hiked the path in late Aug into Sept., curious to know how frequently you encountered other pilgrims? As of now plan is to go solo though apprehensive about not seeing anyone except upon arriving at accommodations particularly given difficulty of stretches.

September on the Frances is loaded with pilgrims, and I anticipate the Norte is a distant cousin in that regard. Alternatively, I could go in early June thru July.

I have been reading through Peregrina2000's postings from 2017 for guidance, and inspiration. For those over 50, I'm particularly interested in your experience.

Thanks so much.

Andrea

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
August is also popular with Spanish holidaymakers as well as being very hot. We started in September. No major problems with accommodation and plenty of company. Just bear in mind that you are passing through areas where the camino is not of central economic importance or interest as it is on the Francés. 50 was a couple of decades ago, by the way. I wouldn´t call the Norte especially strenuous apart from s stiff climb or two e.g. Irún to Pasajes and exiting those little fishing villages first thing in the morning.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Irun to Pasajes is a stiff climb-- give yourself the entire day and take it slowly. As well, take snacks as there is nothing until Pasajes. The first steps out of Pasajes once you cross the fjord involves an impressive staircase-like climb to the heights. Again, take your time. Most small ports were built on inlets or natural harbours, which means that one descends from the plateau on arrival, and then you ascend to the plateau again in the morning.

I have walked the del Norte in September (not August) and found that there is a moderate number of pilgrims, but in 2023 much more than in 2022. Albergue accommodation is limited and so you may have to be prepared to take a pension room from time to time. However, the pilgrim vibe is very good-- many are repeaters and there is a greater proportion of Europeans than North Americans than on the Francese.

Yes, it is a stiff climb up out of Irun on Day One. Even if you take the "low" route. If the weather is clear, though, the view all along the high route is worth it. At 5 km you arrive at the Santuario de Guadalupe. There is a bar just beyond this church. It was open on Sept 7, 2013, either because it was a Saturday or maybe a holiday also. Delicious soup. In Sept 2017 it was not open but there was an outside vending machine with cold drinks. Bring euro coins. Much further along you arrive at a fence enclosed radio station. The path is at the very lower right of the station fence. In 2017 the yellow arrow was too faded to notice. From here you can also take the paved road down into Pasajes. In 2017 there was a roadside food stand open about a km before Pasaje. When you leave the delightful albergue in the morning the hospitalera will tell you you can get coffee at a bakery to the left, up the road along the river. Couldn't find it in 2013. Walked another 50 meters up the road in 2017 and Viola! CAFE CON LECHE and sweet treats. A friend and I shared photos of our Caminos. He started the last week of August. I started Sept 7 and maybe a few days later the next time. His beach photos showed huge crowds. Mine showed a few swimmers and lots of surfers. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Curious about impressions from those who have walked Mid-May through June as well.
I started on the Norte from Biarritz on May 15th last year. The weather was near perfect with just a little rain on a couple of days until I split off into the Primitivo where I had a couple of days of heavier rain.

Irun to Pasajes is a stiff climb-- give yourself the entire day and take it slowly. As well, take snacks as there is nothing until Pasajes. The first steps out of Pasajes once you cross the fjord involves an impressive staircase-like climb to the heights. Again, take your time. Most small ports were built on inlets or natural harbours, which means that one descends from the plateau on arrival, and then you ascend to the plateau again in the morning.

I have walked the del Norte in September (not August) and found that there is a moderate number of pilgrims, but in 2023 much more than in 2022. Albergue accommodation is limited and so you may have to be prepared to take a pension room from time to time. However, the pilgrim vibe is very good-- many are repeaters and there is a greater proportion of Europeans than North Americans than on the Francese.
I found that Haribo Gummy Bears are one of the best snacks to have on hand. They were readily available in almost ever bar or store we stopped in. Right amount of sugar for energy.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back