• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

LIVE from the Camino Started June 18! Currently in Foncebaddon

justjustine

Hello all! I started walking June 18 from St Jean and just wanted to send some quick highlights and notes:

-I'm close to entering Galicia at this point and I still think there was nothing as beautiful as the first day walking from St. Jean to Roncesvalles. Of course it was a lot of hard work, but I expected it! And I'm very much looking forward to Galicia.

-Most people I've met have packed 8-10 kilos give or take food or water. Things are easy to replace, and internet seems readily available in most places--though you may not have it, or the energy for it for a couple of days.

-I really wish I knew more French and Spanish. Not so much to get around easily, but more so to just talk to everyone I meet.

-I haven't been a victim of stealing, but I have met one woman who had a couple hundred euros stolen from her purse when she brought her things with her to the shower. I'm guessing that she left it hanging outside the door. Also in Leon, another girl was robbed in the city and lost her money so the hospitalero was collection money for her to get her on her way.

-Weather has been good! It was extremely hot earlier on leading up Burgos, but after that things seem to have really cooled down and I haven't been bothered as much by the sun. We've had a bit of rain here and there but I really have only used my poncho twice.

-The Camino Frances route isn't too busy! I was only at one Albergue that happened to be full, but there were others open in town. I met a group who said that the Camino just doesn't seem busy this year, and I've been in several places that had empty bed spaces at the end of the night, though I expect things to be busy in a few days when we're that much closer to Santiago.

Hope this information helps some! Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm having such a great time and everyone is so nice and friendly!

--Justine

My Camino Blog: http://www.travelandprettythings.com

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Justine, thank you for your update. Keep us posted with your progress and you are in our thoughts and prayers. I am green with envy that I am not there on the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum