• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sun Safety

sfisch801

Time of past OR future Camino
3-14-3/22
Just a PSA with supporting evidence: I had only 2ish of 10 days with sunshine, and here’s what I got without gloves, using poles.

Lesson: wear lightweight fingerless gloves during peak months along with broad-rimmed hat AND sunscreen.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What’s a PSA please?

Whatever it is - I fully agree with ‘’wear sunscreen’ - always.

Public service announcement.

My chemistry friends tell me to always buy sunscreens without oxybenzone. As a general rule, if it’s in a farmacia in Spain, it won’t have oxybenzone, at least I think that’s right. My brand is Avene.
I suspect this is specific to European and UK labelling and that (in what I have recently learned not to refer to as ‘north America’) the US it will be different; but there is a BBC podcast ‘sliced bread’ which has a very informative episode on sunscreen. It’s about half an hour long and has a few ‘well, I never knew that!’ moments.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know that on some recent threads, people were complaining about the high prices in farmacias as compared to other places where similar products are sold. Quality differences like these are likely one of the main reasons, in addition to whatever official monopoly status farmacias may have.

Hawaii has banned the sale of products with oxybenzone, as a place where sunscreen usage is high and environmental impact on sealife also very high.

Most read last week in this forum