• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

The point is not reaching the destination...

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
This piece is from ITHAKA by C.P. Cavafy. His message seems to be that the point of life is not simply to reach a destination – but to enjoy the journey.

“As you set out for Ithaka, hope your road is a long one, full of adventure, full of discovery…….. Keep Ithaka always in your mind. Arriving there is what you are destined for. But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts for years, so you are old by the time you reach the island, wealthy with all you have gained on the way, not expecting Ithaka to make you rich. Ithaka gave you the marvellous journey. Without her you wouldn’t have set out. She has nothing left to give you now. And if you find her poor, Ithaka won't have fooled you. Wise as you will have become, so full of experience, you will have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.”

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
John, thanks for this piece. I love it! Prior to each camino, I begin exercises to open my mind to this approach to the camino. I really would never bother walking these 800 or 1000 km just to arrive at Santiago, or at each daily stop. Once I clear my mind of the "destination" mindset, I can be fully present for every kilometre, and am able to appreciate and pay attention to the unfolding of my journey.

lynne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks John. Great quote.
Many of us talk about how much we enjoyed the 'simple' rhythms of Camino life. But maybe we are also appreciating the richness of living in the 'present moment', and don't quite manage to identify that as part of the simplicity we love.
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum