• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Thermolite sleeping bag liner. OK to use w/o bag?

musicagl

Time of past OR future Camino
Part 1 - May 2011
Part 2 - May 2012
Part 3 - June 2014
Finisterre (for mom) Fall 2016
Hi:

I'm considering using my Thermolite sleeping bag liner as my sleep sack and not bringing my lightweight down bag at all. Has anyone else used a Thermolite liner as their sleeping bag on the Camino? I'm finishing my three year Camino this June - going Leon to Santiago. Any advice would be welcome.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would say yes. I walked the Camino last July and August and did not see the need for a sleeping bag 99% of the time. The liner is a lot smaller and lighter and would be perfectly adequate. The albergues I stayed in were all heated and not at all cold, drafty buildings and a lot of nights on the Camino were not all that chilly that time of year.
I think the most important role the liner would play is hygienic as well. Keeping you off the mattress, although most albergues give you a disposabal mattress cover when you check in.

@musicagl - did you take the Reactor in the end, or did you take a sleeping bag? My down bag is very light but my liner which is similar to the Reactor but also insect repellent is less than half the weight and very comfortable (I am sitting in it now). I normally walk in September but was hoping to be able to do a week or two this summer with minimal pack weight. Also anyone else who has done the Camino with a polyester type bag instead of cotton or silk - what are the pros and cons?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum