• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or liner and blanket

SFHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Late April
Hello veteran walkers! What was your preference for sleeping gear when you walked? Did you prefer a light sleeping bag or a liner with a blanket? I'm starting my first Camino (Frances) in late April but have been an avid backpacker for many years. I've used both "systems" depending on climate, environment etc. Staying in hostels every night will be new to me though. I'm just a bit curious what others have preferred. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have always walked with a sleeping bag (+5deg C) and permethrin treated silk liner. The silk does nothing for bedbugs, but the permethrin treatment provides some protection. I use the liner as a precaution most places I stay, including in hotels. I can open up the sleeping bag and use it as a quilt or use it closed up as a bag, depending on how cold it might be.

If you are already an experienced hiker, you will know whether you are tolerant of a mummy style bag. I'm not, and use a slightly heavier semi-rectangular bag.

I have used a variety depending on the season. My first Camino was in summer and I used my Army poncho liner. Pinned it together with safety pins to form a sleeping bag. It worked fine and feels nice on my skin. More bulky than my sleeping bag, but the same weight.

On winter Caminos, I take a 40 degree down bag from Montbell. Keeps me warm and comfy.

In other summer Caminos, I have just used a silk liner bag. Put my rain poncho over me if I felt cold. Low weight and bulk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have always walked with a sleeping bag (+5deg C) and permethrin treated silk liner. The silk does nothing for bedbugs, but the permethrin treatment provides some protection. I use the liner as a precaution most places I stay, including in hotels. I can open up the sleeping bag and use it as a quilt or use it closed up as a bag, depending on how cold it might be.

If you are already an experienced hiker, you will know whether you are tolerant of a mummy style bag. I'm not, and use a slightly heavier semi-rectangular bag.
I was planning on spraying my bag with Permethrin. I do that every year anyway to keep ticks and mosquitos away when I camp. I use a mummy bag in cold weather but have a light weight rectangular one for warmer seasons. Thanks for the reply!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is such a tricky question as it really does depend on the weather, plus the desire to go lighter.
I 'compromise' by using a 900gms Snugpak jungle bag, which is rectangular and one can have the foot end unzipped or unzipped all the way round so it is a throw/blanket. Fully zipped it also has a mosquito (bed bugs!) mesh zipped screen at the head. It has a comfort rating of 7c and a low of 2c (which I slightly disagree with).

I like it very much and is stunningly cheap compared to other light bags. Though this year I will be doing what Doug does (sensible idea) and will also be carrying a permethrin treated silk liner - as there seem to be more bed bug cases every year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm taking my lightweight sleeping bag because I remember a few very cold albergue nights, even in July, and also because I just like the cozy and comforting feeling of getting into my bag after a long day of hiking.
I have always taken my rectangular lightweight Nature Hike economical sleeping bag as I walk in spring or fall. No liner is ever needed and it is not made of a slippery fabric.
I would not use an albergue blanket. Seldom if ever washed...
I have occasionally used an albergue blanket, placing it on the bottom half of my sleeping bag. It is nowhere near my face, so I'm ok doing that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

How do you treat your liner? I was planning on just spraying my thin sleeping bag/ blanket as on previous Caminos and wondered if spraying the liner that was skin close might be irritating. I’d thought just the outer bag would do the job? Would welcome views!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My preference is a silk liner and a down throw. I’m small so a throw is plenty big for me and keeping the weight down is critical! I suppose a down blanket could be cut down for a bigger person. I usually walk in the shoulder season when albergues can be cold and never had a problem. The combo is very versatile. Down throws can be bought for less than $50. I have a pricy down sleeping bag that weighs very little but more than the above combo so it stays home. I only use pyrethrin on my backpack, inside and out. I can’t stand the thought of sleeping with it!! Never had a bedbug problem. Yet.

Last edited:
How do you treat your liner? I was planning on just spraying my thin sleeping bag/ blanket as on previous Caminos and wondered if spraying the liner that was skin close might be irritating. I’d thought just the outer bag would do the job? Would welcome views!
I soak smaller items like my sleeping bag liner. The particular product that I use is Equip Debugger aka Equip Permethrin Impregnation Pack.

The general subject of bedbug protection has been extensively discussed here on the forum, and while I don't know that anything has changed, would be better discussed in a thread of its own. Suffice to say here that when any treatment has dried, the permethrin molecules bind tightly to fabric, and are unlikely to be an irritant. It is important to avoid contact of the wet areas of one's body (genitalia, mouth, nose, eyes, etc) with permethrin treated fabric (see my comments here and here).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I soak smaller items like my sleeping bag liner. The particular product that I use is Equip Debugger aka Equip Permethrin Impregnation Pack.

The general subject of bedbug protection has been extensively discussed here on the forum, and while I don't know that anything has changed, would be better discussed in a thread of its own. Suffice to say here that when any treatment has dried, the permethrin molecules bind tightly to fabric, and are unlikely to be an irritant. It is important to avoid contact of the wet areas of one's body (genitalia, mouth, nose, eyes, etc) with permethrin treated fabric (see my comments here and here).
Thanks for the references. Have treated bags and outer layers before and regularly spray permethrin on my garden work clothes with no ill effects so yes I might think about the silk liner again.

Thanks for the references. Have treated bags and outer layers before and regularly spray permethrin on my garden work clothes with no ill effects so yes I might think about the silk liner again.
Permethrin acts as a deterrent against mosquitos and ticks, but it does not deter bed bugs nor kill them on contact. However, it should kill them over a few hours if they are continuously exposed to it. For that reason I treat the inside of my backpack, all of my cloth stuff sacks, and my sleeping gear. I do this so that if bed bugs get inside my pack there is ample opportunity for them to be exposed to the permethrin. I don't want to transport bed bugs to my next lodging - or home with me!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
may into june 2022 - light liner; didn't feel I needed anything more than that (the weather was ...ahem... warm enough)

This has been a great discussion, selfishly for my own planning of Podiensis/Francés route in the Fall ‘24. Just wasn’t settled on down sleeping bag vs. just a liner. Believe I will go with a light down bag and silk liner and follow the recommendations on the permethrin. I can handle almost all other discomforts of hiking/camping/roughing it. Just can’t do biting bugs! Camping in the Maine woods taught me that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This has been a great discussion, selfishly for my own planning of Podiensis/Francés route in the Fall ‘24. Just wasn’t settled on down sleeping bag vs. just a liner. Believe I will go with a light down bag and silk liner and follow the recommendations on the permethrin. I can handle almost all other discomforts of hiking/camping/roughing it. Just can’t do biting bugs! Camping in the Maine woods taught me that.
Sorry to tell you, but treating your gear with permethrin won't keep bed bugs from biting you. It should kill them before you can transport them to your next stop.

Hello veteran walkers! What was your preference for sleeping gear when you walked? Did you prefer a light sleeping bag or a liner with a blanket? I'm starting my first Camino (Frances) in late April but have been an avid backpacker for many years. I've used both "systems" depending on climate, environment etc. Staying in hostels every night will be new to me though. I'm just a bit curious what others have preferred. Thank you!
Thin silk liner and an inexpensive down blanket that I got off of Amazon. Very flexible and light.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.