• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

thrift shops along the way

emv0816

are there any thrift shops along the way. I want to keep the pack weight down so I thought if I needed a heavier jacket, or another pair of long pants or something I could just buy them and use them for a day or 2 and just leave them somewhere.... like at an albergue. I'm going to begin my trek in Pamplona on Sept 6

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I reckon a thrift shop is what we would call a 'pound shop' in England, somewhere cheap and cheerful? The answer is yes, there are Chinese Bazaars in just about any town of size and many towns of not much size. They sell anything and everything.

No thrift or charity shops BUT there are "free boxes" in almost every large albergue. Sometimes you have to ask to look in it. I've always found what I needed there... people dump extra weight. There are also plenty of shops in the larger cities where you can buy items.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nothing thrift about anything except fruit and veggies.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There ARE Chinese Bazaar stores in every good sized town and large village along the way, everything you mentioned which you might need plus a years supply of chopsticks should that be on your list, an incense burner, or maybe a collection of toys which are guaranteed to break within 50 meters of the front door. Look out for the outdoor markets along the way, another good chance to find what you are looking for, unfortunately today, most of the textiles and indeed many other offerings are also grand products from the Middle Kingdom, Made in China is a world wide phenomena which hasn’t skipped over the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If it's heavier garb you are hoping to find, you'll probably find plenty in the lost and found boxes. There were all kinds of sweaters and jackets in the boxes I looked through. Presumably people ditch them when they realize how hot it is during July.

Most read last week in this forum