This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Transfer To Madrid's Atocha Station

May 24, 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Finisterra 2022
I've read that if I have a long distance train ticket (e.g. mine from Madrid to Pamplona), I can ride from Madrid Barajas Airport to Atocha Train Station free.
That is, I can use my Pamplona ticket to go to the station.
Does anyone know if this is true? Experience?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Nezabudka

Sep 11, 2017
Adelaide, Australia
СF 2018/2024
Hi DevereUx,
I believe, it's true only for Cercanias lines, not all other metro lines from the airport. Particularly you need C1 that departs from T4 every 30 minutes.
You will need to use a code from your Renfe ticket to get a free Cercanias ticket.
The good guide is here:
http://www.spain-traveller.com/en/guide-train-travel-spain/#combinado
Cheers.

Reactions: TMcA
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Aug 26, 2016
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
What you do if stop at the Renfe info office and they will print out the small ticket that opens the gate to the computer train. Be sure to keep it handy as you will need it to exit.
There is a code on your train ticket that you can also use to do it yourself from one of the machines. The instructions are here
https://help.loco2.com/article/410-free-transfers-from-renfe-combinado-cercanias

Telelama

Aug 29, 2014
Colorado
Frances (Sep - Oct'14)
Frances (May - Jun'15)
Portugues (May - Jun'16)
Primitivo (2020)

Our experience too.

Very thankful to the nice Renfe person who helped these sleep starved travelers, about to be pilgrims, figure out those kiosk ticket machines. Our sleep deprived brains could not figure it out. The Camino provided, even before we were on Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA

Hi, DevereUx,
Just a heads up on the airport itself. The CercanĂ­as trains only leave from T4. If you are flying into Madrid on Iberia or a partner such as American or British Airways, you will land at T4. If you are not, you will land at T 1, 2, or 3, and will have to take an intra-airport bus over to T4. The CercanĂ­as trains run only twice an hour, at about 28 after and 2 before the hour if memory serves. Hope your trip is smooth and uneventful. Buen camino, Laurie

Reactions: HalfDomeOrBust
May 24, 2018
Camino Finisterra 2022
Thanks,Laurie! I have about 4 hours if my flight arrives on time to catch my train to Pamplona. This info is good. Looks like I should have time even if I'm a bit late or have a bag to pickup.
Really can't wait to get going!

Most read last week in this forum