• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Travel from Santiago to Porto, Portugal

which one should I do?

• walk to the ocean after Santiago

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Spend a couple days in Porto

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Max FarAway

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in August.(2017)
I am planning on booking my flight home out of Porto, Portugal. I am wondering if there is any possible issues I might run into traveling from Santiago to Portugal that could cause me to miss my flight? I may arrive in Santiago only two or three days before my flight leaves from Porto, so any kind of hang up could cause me to miss my flight. Assuming I have my passport with me, should transportation and entry to Portugal be hassle free?

Also, upon reaching Santiago, I may be faced with a decision to either go continue the walk to the ocean (remind me the name of the town most people walk to?) or to spend a couple days in Porto. Any opinions on which one is better?

Gracias,
Max FarAway

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Max,
If you are expecting to arrive 2-3 days before your flight it is unlikely you will have time to walk to the ocean (Finisterre/Fisterra or Muxia are the destinations) and get back to Santiago in order to get to Porto. There was a bus direct from Santiago to oporto airport which ran a few times a day. The company name escapes me but I will check and post back. Oporto is a lovely city if you choose to spend your time there or just relax in Santiago if it is not a place that you have visited before? Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Thanks Miguel,

Yeah thank you, I realize that if it were the case that I arrived in Santiago 2-3 days before the flight, I would have to go straight to Porto. But there is also a chance I arrive a 5 or 6 before my flight leaves if I chose to hike SJPP to Santiago aggressively, which would put me in a position to have to chose between a few days in Porto or walking to Finisterre (thanks for that!). Glad to know it is fairly easy to reach Porto, though! Thanks again

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Let me begin that I love Porto! In my opinion, the only really inspiring bit of the walk to Fistera is that last day along the water. The town has changed with the years and I no longer enjoy visiting there but Muxia is still lovely. If you must, take a bus to Fistera to see the lighthouse, a very nice walk out since from there you cannot see the town, back to Santiago and on for a couple of days in Porto. In Porto, try and work in the modern architecture there (Porto School might ring a bell) is just as amazing as the traditional azulejo ceramic tiles Koolhaus's Casa Musica is right by the bus station from Santiago and Siza's Serralves Museum is a bit more difficult but certainly worth the effort. Doesn't look like Gerry in Bilbao, but similarly, the building is often far more intriguing that the exhibits.

Last edited:
Why would crossing from Spain into Portugal,be an issue? Borders are long gone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Max,

Check out: https://www.rome2rio.com

This site will give you the options for transport from Santiago to Porto, including bus, train, rideshare. I took the train from Santiago (my flight was also out of Porto). I left Santiago the day before my flight. As mentioned above though, Porto is a beautiful city to explore if you'd feel more comfortable getting there a couple of days early.

Reactions: VAS
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Max,

When I walked the Francés I arrived in Santiago much sooner than I expected and continued on to Muxia and Finisterre. It was a wonderful quiet walk with quite a bit of rain (mid October) The next year I walked the Portugues way and spent two days in Porto. I really enjoyed Porto and the Portuguese people and food. Since you will have been walking already and since it is your first time to Europe I would encourage you to visit Portugal and Porto and experience a different country, people, and cuisine. I will be walking the Portuguese Central route this year (last time was Coastal Route) and spending a month in Portugal. It is a wonderful country and for me it is not to be missed.

I wish you well in your decision they are both good choices.

Buen Camino!

I took the bus ride from Santiago to Porto about 10 days ago. It was through Alsa and if the ticket is bought online it is €37,- otherwise €40 at the bus station in Santiago. Don't forget that Portugal is in a different time zone - one hour earlier!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks so much

This is great advice. Thanks a lot.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Great thanks a lot

Porto is on the ocean ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum