• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking on pavement

daisypage3250

Time of past OR future Camino
Nil. Want to plan walk in late "2017" or early "2018"
Hi. Want to walk my first Camino in May 2018. The Frances originally captured my attention but I'm not sure I want to walk a busy route. So, I'm thinking I may walk the Norte instead, however I'm a bit concerned about some commentary about the amount of hard surface walking that is included. I'm not too fussed about hard surface walk ing in itself, but a little more concerned about walking on the shoulder of bitumen roads. Can someone please help me make up my mind by clarifying the exact nature of hard surface walking I'd be looking at if I do the Norte? Thanks so much in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I for one have never understood this complaint about hard surfaces on the Norte, but I can go on all day about the hatred I have for walking on tractor trails on the Frances.

Honnestly, terrain should be the last thing in your mind. Think about how you value history, hyper socialbility, silence, Basque culture, seascapes, quality of food, the opportunity to attend religious services, visiting major contemporary monuments vs small medieval ones.

Thanks for that! All those things are being considered, but some people have listed the hard surface walking as the downside of this route. I don't think this would be a deal breaker for me if my heart was set on the Norte but I haven't walked any of the routes yet and am still trying to evaluate which I should choose. Your advice is helpful so thanks again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for that! All those things are being considered, but some people have listed the hard surface walking as the downside of this route. I don't think this would be a deal breaker for me if my heart was set on the Norte but I haven't walked any of the routes yet and am still trying to evaluate which I should choose. Your advice is helpful so thanks again.
I got plantar fasciitis on the Norte, but would still walk it 10 times over the nasty tractor tracts on the Frances: ankle killers. But walking the Norte you miss thr "Camino history" and sociability. You can silence, good food, seascapes, and did Imsay good food and peace and quiet?

Hi, I recommend the Francés as a first camino. Very little road walking, and not busy out of season, e.g. March or late October. The Norte is more about seaside resorts, stunning views and great meals. The Norte is a great camino, but definitely does not have the camino “vibe” that the Francés has.
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi. Want to walk my first Camino in May 2018. The Frances originally captured my attention but I'm not sure I want to walk a busy route. So, I'm thinking I may walk the Norte instead, however I'm a bit concerned about some commentary about the amount of hard surface walking that is included. I'm not too fussed about hard surface walk ing in itself, but a little more concerned about walking on the shoulder of bitumen roads. Can someone please help me make up my mind by clarifying the exact nature of hard surface walking I'd be looking at if I do the Norte? Thanks so much in advance.

I think that there is still a sufficient variety of surfaces on the Norte - a lot of the traffic now travels on the highways so the once-minor roads are relatively free of traffic - and sometimes you can find softer surfaces at the sides of the roads - and certainly even regular trainers should have enough cushioning (and you can add insoles as well)

We walked the Francis in the winter of 2016 through snow, sleet , hail and lots of rain and there were no crowds. Of course we missed crossing the Pyrenees because the trail was closed. we want to walk it again in the fall (mid- October through November 2018) to walk over the mountains. Probably less crowds. I can not tolerate hot weather.

Hi, daisypage,
Welcome to the forum!
There is no doubt that the Camino del Norte has a LOT of road walking. I walked it in 2007 or so and wound up with a foot injury from so much pavement pounding. I went back this past year and was bound and determined to avoid the pavement as much as I could.

A lot of the Norte goes along the side of the national highway. That isn't very busy now, because of the construction of the super highway, so if all you are worried about is traffic, it's not a huge consideration. But there is a lot of local traffic.

For me, the biggest frustration about all the highway walking was knowing that we were only a km or two from beautiful coastal walks. So this year I did a lot of planning and found that there are paths all along the coast. And they are stunningly beautiful. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/

The Camino arrows will take you to the coast every now and then, but if you follow the arrows you will frequently be walking alongside the national highway with a beautiful coastal path about a km away.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I recommend the Francés as a first camino. Very little road walking, and not busy out of season, e.g. March or late October. The Norte is more about seaside resorts, stunning views and great meals. The Norte is a great camino, but definitely does not have the camino “vibe” that the Francés has.
Jill
Thanks Jill

Hi, daisypage,
Welcome to the forum!
There is no doubt that the Camino del Norte has a LOT of road walking. I walked it in 2007 or so and wound up with a foot injury from so much pavement pounding. I went back this past year and was bound and determined to avoid the pavement as much as I could.

A lot of the Norte goes along the side of the national highway. That isn't very busy now, because of the construction of the super highway, so if all you are worried about is traffic, it's not a huge consideration. But there is a lot of local traffic.

For me, the biggest frustration about all the highway walking was knowing that we were only a km or two from beautiful coastal walks. So this year I did a lot of planning and found that there are paths all along the coast. And they are stunningly beautiful. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/

The Camino arrows will take you to the coast every now and then, but if you follow the arrows you will frequently be walking alongside the national highway with a beautiful coastal path about a km away.
This is great information. Thanks so much!

I walked the Frances during a "busy" time: May-June 2016. It was never a problem. I had loads of alone time on gorgeous trails through nature and through small villages. If others showed up, I would let them pass and then often have the trail to myself with no one in view in front or behind me for hours. The natural landscape (and the architecture, food, dialect, etc) is tremendously varied. I would recommend the Frances.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Personally after many different Caminos, el Norte was my least favourite. Lots of road walking but mainly the steep, concrete,downhill paths where we slipped and fell, even with good gripping soles on our boots.
However I do intend to go back and give it a second chance within the next couple of years. ;-) Camino Frances slightly off season would be my choice for a first Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks
Hola fellow pilgrims, asking for a friend who is currently on the Norte. His pack is too heavy, can someone tell us how he would send the excess items home to Canada and the cos?. Alternatively...
An article on the El Correo website reporting on very high occupancy rates at the albergue in Markina on the Camino del Norte. Full almost daily...
I’m travelling to Irún today to start my Camino tomorrow morning - I’m flying to Biarritz getting in at 4pm, planning on catching the bus to Hendaye and walking to the pilgrims hostel from there...
Hello everyone, I will have to work digitally about every other day from Irun to SdC (bringing an iPad). What are the wifi connections like along the entire route? What about the Primitivo? Thanks.
hello Pilgrims this is my 2nd Camino, but first time doing Camino Norte. Flying into San Sebastián Airport on Wednesday would like to start Camino in Pasaje to enter the coastal route . Would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.