• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Walking out of Porto

gatothecat

A few thoughts on walking out of Porto...

Yes it's all pavement and does go through suburbs and light industrial areas. I found it interesting, although if I'd known it was to be my only stage I would have taken the metro to Maia and walked from there.

The road crossing from Hell as described by Brierley isn't there any more. I'm not sure where it was but I kept steeling myself for it and it never happened. Progress!

If the pavement is wet don't step on the metal grates in the sidewalk or one or both feet will slide out from under you and you'll end up on your back like a turtle. Ask me how I know. . My mantra from that point forward was "don't step on a grate don't step on a grate ..."

Cynthia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Gato,

Sad that this formed part of your only stage but thank you for sharing your experience.
I hope that you complete your Camino in future years,

Regards
Mig

We found that catching the subway to Matosinhos and travelling the coast road to Vila do Conde and then cutting back inland to hook up with Barcelos a pleasant alternative to going through the outskirts and industrial areas of Porto. (see Brierley for alternatives)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can also just keep to the beach all the way north to Caminho, and cut inland along the Miño river to Valenca. It´s waymarked all the way. For real beach devotees, you can take a ferry over the Miño to A Guarda, and follow the almost-unknown Camino Monacal all the way round to Vigo -- that´s what St. Thomas Becket is supposed to have done, when he made the camino. That´s waymarked too, but pilgrims are rare birds over that way!

Most read last week in this forum