• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation for Volunteer

Momwiz

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
During my volunteer days at the Pilgrims Office, I stayed at the Hospederia San Martin Pinario. I did not mind paying from my own pocket (26 Euros for single room which includes breakfast buffet worth 9 Euros) because the place is about 5-minute walk to the Pilgrims Office. I did not want the 30-40 minute walk (I think) or catch the city bus to Albergue San Lazaro. Volunteering at the Pilgrims Office is immensely rewarding and an excellent way to return the favor to the Camino. Ultreia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
During my volunteer days at the Pilgrims Office, I stayed at the Hospederia San Martin Pinario. I did not mind paying from my own pocket (26 Euros for single room which includes breakfast buffet worth 9 Euros) because the place is about 5-minute walk to the Pilgrims Office. I did not want the 30-40 minute walk (I think) or catch the city bus to Albergue San Lazaro. Volunteering at the Pilgrims Office is immensely rewarding and an excellent way to return the favor to the Camino. Ultreia.
Thank you. I did see on the map that the San Lazaro Albergue is pretty far away from the cathedral. I think I will take you up on your recommendation. How long ago were you a volunteer?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you. I did see on the map that the San Lazaro Albergue is pretty far away from the cathedral. I think I will take you up on your recommendation. How long ago were you a volunteer?
June 2023 for two weeks. Luis (magician), Santi, Esther (Asst Coordinator), and Montse (Coordinator), permanent staff, are extremely understanding and helpful. As a volunteer you get a light blue t-shirt that says you're a "voluntario" and a nametag. Regarding making reservations at San Martin Pinario, you have to call them. They do not accept online reservations, particularly through Booking.com. If you have other questions, do not hesitate to ask. All the best. Ultreia.

You can make reservations with San Martin by email. I do it every year, and this includes reserving a pilgrim room if you like.

Last edited:
Thank you. I checked out the price for San Martin Pinario and I think San Lazaro is the one for me!
I just found a copy of my volunteer shift schedule at the Pilgrims Office June last year. I want to share that you will work 9am to 2pm one day, then 2pm to 7pm the next day. The cycle continues until your last day. On days that you arrive a little early for your 9am shift and the Pilgrims Office security personnel are not in yet, sometimes you will enter at the Correos branch office next door. Similarly, when you finish your shift at 7pm, you will exit at the Correos office. Enjoy your volunteerism. Ultreia.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can make reservations with San Martin by email. I do it every year, and this includes reserving a pilgrim room if you like.
Yes - you can definitely book San Martín Pinario via email. Just email the request for a pilgrim room & let them know whether single or double and date/s required. They will let you know whether there is availability for your dates and take it from there. The most recent rate (this month March 2024) including the excellent breakfast is 29€ single room.

The email address is : reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu

I just found a copy of my volunteer shift schedule at the Pilgrims Office June last year. I want to share that you will work 9am to 2pm one day, then 2pm to 7pm the next day. The cycle continues until your last day. On days that you arrive a little early for your 9am shift and the Pilgrims Office security personnel are not in yet, sometimes you will enter at the Correos branch office next door. Similarly, when you finish your shift at 7pm, you will exit at the Correos office. Enjoy your volunteerism. Ultreia.
Thank you so much. I appreciate you giving more insight about the schedule. Was there anything particular you found challenging? Also, I ended up reserving a room at San Martin Pinario at a very reasonable price, including breakfast! I learned that San Lazaro Albergue is pretty far away from the cathedral, and it was worth it for me to pay for the convenience. Where did you stay?

Thank you so much. I appreciate you giving more insight about the schedule. Was there anything particular you found challenging? Also, I ended up reserving a room at San Martin Pinario at a very reasonable price, including breakfast! I learned that San Lazaro Albergue is pretty far away from the cathedral, and it was worth it for me to pay for the convenience. Where did you stay?
I stayed at San Martin Pinario. I thought the same as you do. Just a caution, on the days you have the morning shift (9am-2pm), breakfast gets pretty busy at San Martin Pinario. So get there a little early. I befriended the head waiter there, Jose Maria Antonio Estevez, older amigo who wears his eye glasses at the tip of his nose. After verifying my room number a couple of times, he told me not worry about it afterwards. They also serve dinner. But check the menu during the day to see if it suits your palate for the day.

Nearby, on the way to the Pilgrims Office, straight down after the stairs from the cathedral, on the right side there's a really good laundry place where your clothes come out nice warm and clean. It is actually a commercial laundry for hotels, etc, but they allow pilgrims to launder clothes.

On the right side as you walk to the Pilgrims Office, Restaurante Tarara serves pretty good variety foods. Next to it is another restaurant but does not serve coffee.

Challenging? Only when there's a deluge of pilgrims and they did not pre-register or they misplaced their QR codes. Sometimes families, or couples, would confuse the QR codes. Other times you have to use their registration number (on the credencial) when they registered for the camino to verify and identify them.

As you verify credencials, there will be times with "bicigrinos" (cyclists) and they only have very few sellos (stamps) due to longer distances traveled per day. So you check if they have the minimum 200 kms. Likewise, bear in mind, pilgrims need to walk the "last 100 kms" to qualify for a compostela. Regardless if they started in Saint Jean Pied de Port or elsewhere. Many tried, arguing the several hundreds of kms they walked but not the "required last hundred kilometers," heartbreaking, but cathedral rules rule. If they insist, get (the help of) "Luis." Likewise, you will encounter pilgrims that started their caminos from Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, or The Netherlands. The Pilgrims Office computer system is highly limited to mostly Spain's and Portugal routes. Again Luis is the best resource. He's the expert, we call him the magician. If for some reason you have problems with San Martin Pinario, Montse at the Pilgrims Office is the person who can help. But do not spread the word. Please.

A smile, good morning/thank you/congratulations; buenos dias/gracias/felicidades-Spanish; bomdia/obrigado/parabens-Portuguese; bongiourno/grazie/congratulazioni-Italian; bonjour/merci/toutes nos felicitations-French . . . would make your days more enjoyable and rewarding. Of course, English is very well-accepted. Each smile, each teary eyed pilgrim I witnessed get their compostela, reminded me of my own dream of realizing my camino.

Ultreia . . .

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I stayed at San Martin Pinario. I thought the same as you do. Just a caution, on the days you have the morning shift (9am-2pm), breakfast gets pretty busy at San Martin Pinario. So get there a little early. I befriended the head waiter there, Jose Maria Antonio Estevez, older amigo who wears his eye glasses at the tip of his nose. After verifying my room number a couple of times, he told me not worry about it afterwards. They also serve dinner. But check the menu during the day to see if it suits your palate for the day.

Nearby, on the way to the Pilgrims Office, straight down after the stairs from the cathedral, on the right side there's a really good laundry place where your clothes come out nice warm and clean. It is actually a commercial laundry for hotels, etc, but they allow pilgrims to launder clothes.

On the right side as you walk to the Pilgrims Office, Restaurante Tarara serves pretty good variety foods. Next to it is another restaurant but does not serve coffee.

Challenging? Only when there's a deluge of pilgrims and they did not pre-register or they misplaced their QR codes. Sometimes families, or couples, would confuse the QR codes. Other times you have to use their registration number (on the credencial) when they registered for the camino to verify and identify them.

As you verify credencials, there will be times with "bicigrinos" (cyclists) and they only have very few sellos (stamps) due to longer distances traveled per day. So you check if they have the minimum 200 kms. Likewise, bear in mind, pilgrims need to walk the "last 100 kms" to qualify for a compostela. Regardless if they started in Saint Jean Pied de Port or elsewhere. Many tried, arguing the several hundreds of kms they walked but not the "required last hundred kilometers," heartbreaking, but cathedral rules rule. If they insist, get (the help of) "Luis." Likewise, you will encounter pilgrims that started their caminos from Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, or The Netherlands. The Pilgrims Office computer system is highly limited to mostly Spain's and Portugal routes. Again Luis is the best resource. He's the expert, we call him the magician. If for some reason you have problems with San Martin Pinario, Montse at the Pilgrims Office is the person who can help. But do not spread the word. Please.

A smile, good morning/thank you/congratulations; buenos dias/gracias/felicidades-Spanish; bomdia/obrigado/parabens-Portuguese; bongourno/grazie/congratulazioni-Italian; bonjour/merci/toutes nos felicitations-French . . . would make your days more enjoyable and rewarding. Of course, English is very well-accepted. Each smile, each teary eyed pilgrim I witnessed get their compostela, reminded me of my own dream of realizing my camino.

Ultreia . . .
Wow! I am so grateful for all of your insights and help. I have limited Spanish, but since I’m not volunteering until the end of October, I’ve plenty of time to become more proficient if it’s possible at my age! I’m not fussy at all about food, but I do enjoy a good cup of coffee and when I’m in Spain, I usually end up ordering two Americana at a time as they are so small. Certainly not “grande” as they are here in the US! The first time I went to Santiago after a Portuguese Camino in 2019, I felt the holiness of that city. It’s as though I’m drawn to it. This will be my fourth time there, and to be of service to the Camino is a dream come true.

Wow! I am so grateful for all of your insights and help. I have limited Spanish, but since I’m not volunteering until the end of October, I’ve plenty of time to become more proficient if it’s possible at my age! I’m not fussy at all about food, but I do enjoy a good cup of coffee and when I’m in Spain, I usually end up ordering two Americana at a time as they are so small. Certainly not “grande” as they are here in the US! The first time I went to Santiago after a Portuguese Camino in 2019, I felt the holiness of that city. It’s as though I’m drawn to it. This will be my fourth time there, and to be of service to the Camino is a dream come true.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the compostela will have the pilgrim's name in "Latin," or close to it (blame the computer). Many pilgrims came hurrying back complaining the wrong name on the compostela.

Cafe con leche has about 30%-40% coffee, cafe cortado about 60-70%, of course cafe solo/espresso 100%. If you want more, use "doble". That's the thing I love about breakfast at Pinario, they have coffee machines with different coffee options. I always chose cortado, and twice! It fits their small cup.

My best moments at the Pilgrims Office were witnessing young and very old (80s), men and women, burly muscular and scrawny weakling, in tears upon receiving the Santiago de Compostela stamp, the last sello closing the credencial, on the way to claim the compostela. Very heart-warming.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the compostela will have the pilgrim's name in "Latin," or close to it (blame the computer). Many pilgrims came hurrying back complaining the wrong name on the compostela.

Cafe con leche has about 30%-40% coffee, cafe cortado about 60-70%, of course cafe solo/espresso 100%. If you want more, use "doble". That's the thing I love about breakfast at Pinario, they have coffee machines with different coffee options. I always chose cortado, and twice! It fits their small cup.

My best moments at the Pilgrims Office were witnessing young and very old (80s), men and women, burly muscular and scrawny weakling, in tears upon receiving the Santiago de Compostela stamp, the last sello closing the credencial, on the way to claim the compostela. Very heart-warming.
Once more, thank you for the information. I will gladly except any other tips or recommendations as time goes by.😁Happy Easter!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Joramos,
It is lovely to hear you describing what working in the pilgrim office entails. It brings me so many happy memories, both from Rua de Vilar and the present office especially ' habitaion 6' upstairs.
However please don't call 80 'very old'. I am 80 and trying to cope with bonky knees and tired limbs as I pack my rucksack once more to walk the Camino to Santiago. The thought of being 'very old' would be just the last straw, and we all know what that did!
When pilgrim, I always stay 3 nights in San Martin. I just love it there.

Wishing you and all readers of this Forum a very Happy and blessing filled Easter. Lydia

Joramos,
It is lovely to hear you describing what working in the pilgrim office entails. It brings me so many happy memories, both from Rua de Vilar and the present office especially ' habitaion 6' upstairs.
However please don't call 80 'very old'. I am 80 and trying to cope with bonky knees and tired limbs as I pack my rucksack once more to walk the Camino to Santiago. The thought of being 'very old' would be just the last straw, and we all know what that did!
When pilgrim, I always stay 3 nights in San Martin. I just love it there.

Wishing you and all readers of this Forum a very Happy and blessing filled Easter. Lydia
Sorry about the age thing. I was merely imaging the age gaps among the pilgrims.

Actually, I met a 90+ year old Aussie grandma who walked the Frances in the Fall of 2022 with her granddaughter. She did a better pace than I did.

An 80+ year-old Italian great grandma who walked the Frances for the 4th time in 2022 taught me her technique of conquering the treacherous downhill at Alto de Perdon. Also, I am almost there too.

Happy Easter to all. Ultreia.

Cicero more than 2000 years ago said that everyone wanted to achieve old age, and having achieved it complained about it.. So we are the lucky ones, and I am blessed. I think I was just joking!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can you tell me what is the email ?
thank you

Thank you. I checked out the price for San Martin Pinario and I think San Lazaro is the one for me!
You can get a pilgrims room, which is much cheaper (about half the price) of a standard room. I think it's 29 euros for a single pilgrim room with breakfast.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes GAil, €29 is the price this year. Wonderful fantastic value and so near the Cathedral

Yes GAil, €29 is the price this year. Wonderful fantastic value and so near the Cathedral
I'll be volunteering in Room 6 in a few weeks' time and will stay in San Martin Pinario for the 2 weeks I'm in Santiago. Really looking forward to it.

Gail, I will be there in San Martin 5,6,and 7th of may. I hope I will see you. Lydia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gail, I will be there in San Martin 5,6,and 7th of may. I hope I will see you. Lydia
Great Lydia. I go home on 6th so hopefully we'll just catch each other on the 5th 😊

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.