Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Adding notes to route planning apps

Murgyman

May 10, 2020
Edmonton
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet
I went down the rabbit hole of the post about ancient churches in different camino routes, and thought it would be great to be able to add notes on my planned route so that I don't miss anything as I'm walking. Do any of the apps (Komoot, Gaia, etc) have this feature? Or will I have to keep notes in a separate place on my phone?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I went down the rabbit hole of the post about ancient churches in different camino routes, and thought it would be great to be able to add notes on my planned route so that I don't miss anything as I'm walking. Do any of the apps (Komoot, Gaia, etc) have this feature? Or will I have to keep notes in a separate place on my phone?
I don't know about the apps that you mentioned, but I make a spreadsheet for each Camino. I have proposed stages, then as I go I record my actual stages.
Alongside the proposed stages I have notes about places of interest in that stage.

Reactions: OzAnnie
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
On maps.me you can drop a bookmark ("Add to favorites") anywhere on the downloaded map. Then you can name the bookmark and add some description. It is very easily done, and easily removed as well. You can see those sites marked on the map, whether or not you also have a camino track as well.

islandwalker

Veteran Member
Dec 4, 2013
San Juan Islands, Washington State
Francés and routes in Andalucia
@C clearly, do you drop your pins on your phone using the app, or do you do it on your computer? Can you have two tracks uploaded to the same screen to compare? I usually do this with GaiaGPS, but I want to share some information with a person who does not use Gaia and I thought maps.me might be easier for him.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
do you drop your pins on your phone using the app, or do you do it on your computer? Can you have two tracks uploaded to the same screen to compare?
With maps.me I have many Caminos in Spain visible on my screen at once. I can see as many as the degree of zoom allows. I place the pins by using the app directly on my phone.

But how are you sharing? By sending KML files? If so, I don't know how to share my bookmarks. I can see some of the files in the file manager of my phone (an Android) but I have not tried to share them with anyone.

• Thank you
Reactions: islandwalker
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
May 24, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
@C clearly, do you drop your pins on your phone using the app, or do you do it on your computer? Can you have two tracks uploaded to the same screen to compare? I usually do this with GaiaGPS, but I want to share some information with a person who does not use Gaia and I thought maps.me might be easier for him.
C clearly said :
I place the pins by using the app directly on my phone.
——-

Thankyou ladies.
I’ll try to make that work for my oct/Nov Mozárabe

Reactions: islandwalker
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
A nerdy way of doing things follows. If you have a gps file with a track you intend on following you can edit the file with a text editor to add waypoints for places of interest to you with names and descriptions of your choosing. I realize that not many will be comfortable doing this but I have done this often.

Files in the GPX and KML file formats are actually text files in formats similar to that used in HTM/HTML files though the text in GPX and KML are different. These files can be edited with text editors (though KMZ cannot). Some editors may require the filename suffix to be .txt.

I recommend doing something similar to:
Copy example.gpx to my-example.txt​
Rename example.gpx to original-example.gpx​
Edit my-example.txt​
When everything in works correctly
Rename my-example.txt to my-example.gpx​

A link to a webpage showing how this can be done for a file in GPX format is

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.