• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Almadén de la Plata - Monesterio

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4 and not sure my legs are ready, but I wouldn’t mind going all the way.

For anyone that recalls this stage, is it particularly difficult? The Gronz altitude map shows some hills along the way.

Probably too specific a question, but hearing from someone that has done it may help me decide. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've walked that stage twice. Fairly gentle ground - modest ups and downs. Some shade trees up to El Real as you pass though the dehesa landscape. The only potential problem I can think of is a large stream to ford after El Real. Depends on what rainfall has been like recently. If you are planning to go on to Monasterio there is a long but gradual uphill walk from the motorway service area to Monasterio.

I've walked that stage twice. Fairly gentle ground - modest ups and downs. Some shade trees up to El Real as you pass though the dehesa landscape. The only potential problem I can think of is a large stream to ford after El Real. Depends on what rainfall has been like recently. If you are planning to go on to Monasterio there is a long but gradual uphill walk from the motorway service area to Monasterio.
Thanks for the quick reply, and great to hear from someone who is really familiar. Hopefully the stream won’t be an issue. I don’t think it’s been raining for the past week or more.

You’ve got me leaning towards making an early start and going all the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4 and not sure my legs are ready, but I wouldn’t mind going all the way.

For anyone that recalls this stage, is it particularly difficult? The Gronz altitude map shows some hills along the way.

Probably too specific a question, but hearing from someone that has done it may help me decide. Thanks!

There is a motorway service station before the climb to Monasterio. Good place to stop and recharge the batteries. When I walked it was in the mid 30s should be a lot easier in the 20s.

There is a motorway service station before the climb to Monasterio. Good place to stop and recharge the batteries. When I walked it was in the mid 30s should be a lot easier in the 20s.
Thanks for the tip!

The service area is Complejo Leo 24 Horas. It has accomodation if you find yourself out of steam by the time you get there. I think they also own Hotel Leo in Monasterio at the far end of town.

As I recall it was a bit of a climb from there to Monasterio so you might want to check the elevation profile beforehand.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just did that leg last week. Defiinately rest hyrdate and take on some calories at the gas station. Great place to stop. About 5 miles from Monesterio. The last section about 1 -2 miles is real torture. Lots of steep that does not seem to end. It does stair step though. I had to count steps rest go count steps rest go. Poco a Poco and you can make. Once your that far you do not have any real choice. I did it with about 4 other pilgrims. We all agree it was basically the end of our capacity for that leg. No mas. Getting there is goal accomplished. Buen Camino.

Just did that leg last week. Defiinately rest hyrdate and take on some calories at the gas station. Great place to stop. About 5 miles from Monesterio. The last section about 1 -2 miles is real torture. Lots of steep that does not seem to end. It does stair step though. I had to count steps rest go count steps rest go. Poco a Poco and you can make. Once your that far you do not have any real choice. I did it with about 4 other pilgrims. We all agree it was basically the end of our capacity for that leg. No mas. Getting there is goal accomplished. Buen Camino.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve gone ahead and booked a private room in Monesterio. No refund, so I have no choice now :). The thought of a private room at the end should motivate me.

a couple of last minute tips! There are a couple of places to stop in the service area halfway between Real de la Jara and Monesterio; look for "Venta del Culebrín", it is a mythical inn by the roadside and it feels like travelling in time!
After crossing all motorway junction lanes, the path is easy among eucaliptus trees, but then you have a steady climb right before Monesterio that might be a bit demanding on a hot day.
This said, to me, the stretch between Almadén and Real is MY FAVOURITE of the whole Via de la Plata; if you very, very early in the morning and you reach one of the farms before the owner does, you will be greeted by a bunch of the cutest black piglets expecting you to feed them, they will follow you, it is a unique feeling to be surrounded by all those pretty creatures!!!
Buen camino, I am very JEALOUS of you, tomorrow's stage is fantastic. And if you decide to stay in Real, it is a fantastic town with great food (La Cochera) and a private albergue, the Molina family, who will make you feel really at home. There is enough things to do and see in Real de la Jara, you will be surprised (two castles, to begin with).
BUEN CAMINO!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

We walked that stage in one day in April last year and in hindsight I really wish we had stopped in El Real de la Jara. I found it a really long day and I was exhausted by the time we reached Monesterio. As you say it was only day 4 and it was really hot.

a couple of last minute tips! There are a couple of places to stop in the service area halfway between Real de la Jara and Monesterio; look for "Venta del Culebrín", it is a mythical inn by the roadside and it feels like travelling in time!
After crossing all motorway junction lanes, the path is easy among eucaliptus trees, but then you have a steady climb right before Monesterio that might be a bit demanding on a hot day.
This said, to me, the stretch between Almadén and Real is MY FAVOURITE of the whole Via de la Plata; if you very, very early in the morning and you reach one of the farms before the owner does, you will be greeted by a bunch of the cutest black piglets expecting you to feed them, they will follow you, it is a unique feeling to be surrounded by all those pretty creatures!!!
Buen camino, I am very JEALOUS of you, tomorrow's stage is fantastic. And if you decide to stay in Real, it is a fantastic town with great food (La Cochera) and a private albergue, the Molina family, who will make you feel really at home. There is enough things to do and see in Real de la Jara, you will be surprised (two castles, to begin with).
BUEN CAMINO!!!
Thanks so much. Saw this before I went to sleep and it put me in a better mood. The walk was great, especially the first few hours. The last hour dragged a bit, and the sun was relentless, but I made it. Your tips were appreciated.

I walked it on Tuesday and there was no problem with the stream. As has been mentioned the stop at the cafeteria beside the service station is ideal.
The terrain is not too difficult.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much. Saw this before I went to sleep and it put me in a better mood. The walk was great, especially the first few hours. The last hour dragged a bit, and the sun was relentless, but I made it. Your tips were appreciated.
very happy to read you made it, the last hour in a 34 km stage can always be dragging, but you made it, and that is great. I go to bed a happier person to read my post encouraged you.
BUEN CAMINO, you are in the right place, at the right time, Via de la Plata, right now.
Absolutely!

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...
(Live on the Camino, but I don't know how to post with that tag) The Camino Sanabres winds through small stone villages and along vast green pastures rimmed in stone walls. Sometimes you walk on...
Be careful when you organise a transfer from the Arca de Caparra (Via’s emblem) to one of the three hotels in Jarilla. The guide books we are using state that you will be picked up at ARCA DE...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back