• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2013

D

DavidsRetired

HI everyone; I’m Dave (53) and I’m currently planning (and booking flights) to walk the French Way next April 2013.

Current itinerary is:

Wed, 10-Apr-2013 Fly – Kingston Ontario - Toronto – Amsterdam
Thu, 11-Apr-2013 Hotel – Amsterdam
Fri, 12-Apr-2013 Fly - Amsterdam - Leon - Biarritz - St Jean Pied de Port (Hotel)
Sat, 13-Apr-2013 BEGIN THE TREK - St Jean Pied de Port

Initially I had planned to walk the Camino in a similar time-frame as many have, of 30(+/-) days. However, once I began to review the forums, I noticed a constant theme of many saying they wished to have taken more time to enjoy this journey. So I have scheduled this trek into 43-stages, with 4-stopovers (rest/sightseeing days):

- Pamplona
- Burgos
- León
- Sarria

And the final (5th) of course in Santiago de Compostela.

In addition, I plan to stop over for a few days in Groningen (NL) to visit an old friend, and will depart on Fri, 31-May-2013, flying out of Vigo to Amsterdam (Train to Groningen).

I must say that I am looking so forward to this journey, and rather excited to get going. In fact, I was so inspired this morning while planning, I wrote a quick poem and hopeful will be inspired along the way to write many more. (Perhaps I’ll post the poem in the forum).

Cheers,
David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome David!
If you're from Ontario then you'll be used to cold weather!! Last year, April was a great month but it can be unpredictable so bring thermals and gloves!
Love your poem.

Hi David.

Great idea to introduce flexibility into your trip. Also consider being flexible about where you spend your rest days, balancing what may be changing needs and wishes as your Camino progresses.

You'll enjoy it. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you both so much for the warm welcome. And yes, the cold/cool/wet weather is a concern, but perhaps a brisk mountain walk may warm me a bit (Hat and gloves are packed though).

As for flexibility, I do have a general outline, but that was more for planning purposes and a fluid schedule shall be the reality.

I’m so glad you enjoyed the poem.

Take care,
David

Hi David,
I'm planning to leave SJPDP the same day you are next year. I'll look around town for you. Do you know what hotel/albergue you will stay at there? I plan to do around 5 weeks for the walk; I like your timing but I can't take that much time off!

Hi Krisa,

My flight arrives in Biarritz at 16:45hrs on the 12th of April and I had planned to take the train from Bayonne to SJPDP shortly thereafter. Unfortunately, every time I found a hotel I liked, I was unable to book a room. So in the end, I decided to get a basic hotel in Bayonne (Hotel Campanile, Avenue, du Grand Basque RN 117) a few blocks from the train station (I hope) and take the train to SJPDP first thing in the morning and start my journey upon arrival.

I hope we have the opportunity to meet.

Wish you all my very best.

Cheers,
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Quick update: just found accommodations in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (Itzalpea, 5 place du Trinquet) for the night of 12 April and have cancelled the hotel in Bayonne (Hotel Campanile). Despite arriving late in the evening, I'm very pleased with this change of accommodations, as I will be better prepared for my mornings trek.... Once I get my passport that is :)

Hi David
I am beginning my trek a bit later but buen camino. Check out Ajijic Mexico if you are looking for retirement possibilities. I am very early retired and find so much to do in town I need to keep an agenda to help arrange my activities.

Hi Dave,

Congrats on your retirement.

I live in the Beaches in Toronto. I retired last year after 30+ years with CRA. The first thing I did was to walk the Camino Frances in Spring of this year. I had such a great time that I will be doing it again this April and more than likely every year thereafter. Most energetic guy I met was a young lad, 85 years old who had walked from Belgium. The Camino concentrates and distills all the buttons: physical, social and spiritual. I got extraordinarily fit in a very short time; met more congenial people in a week than I would ordinarily meet in a year; and found the spiritual experience very intense.

Be great to see you since Canadians were a bit thin on the ground last Spring. Would not be overly concerned about hotels and the like since I found the Camino does indeed provide. Would be interested in reading your poem.

Derek

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I appreciate the replies and absolutely can't wait to begin my walk. As for retirement, I retired in 2001, so I'm well practiced in this genre of life. :)

This should be the thread link to the poem: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/announcements-your-feedback/topic15044.html

If not, it can be viewed on my blog: http://davidbrydonblog.blogspot.ca/2012/08/the-way-of-st-james.html

Additional, Derek I loved your comment "I got extraordinarily fit in a very short time". I hope I can replicate that on this journey. Although not unfit, I do have some health issues, which in all honesty I am hoping to challenge during this journey.

Again, I cannot wait and hope we have an opportunity to meet on the Camino.
Cheers,
Dave

Hi David
How was your Camino? i started May 1st and ended June 14th 2013. The experience changed my life and think about it every day. I have already started planning my next Camino which will most likely be mid August (if my university aged kids can join me) or Sept 1st. I plan on 10 weeks to see the things I missed, enjoy the moments more, and take some alternative paths.
Hope you are well.

HI everyone; I’m Dave (53) and I’m currently planning (and booking flights) to walk the French Way next April 2013.

Current itinerary is:

Wed, 10-Apr-2013 Fly – Kingston Ontario - Toronto – Amsterdam
Thu, 11-Apr-2013 Hotel – Amsterdam
Fri, 12-Apr-2013 Fly - Amsterdam - Leon - Biarritz - St Jean Pied de Port (Hotel)
Sat, 13-Apr-2013 BEGIN THE TREK - St Jean Pied de Port

Initially I had planned to walk the Camino in a similar time-frame as many have, of 30(+/-) days. However, once I began to review the forums, I noticed a constant theme of many saying they wished to have taken more time to enjoy this journey. So I have scheduled this trek into 43-stages, with 4-stopovers (rest/sightseeing days):

- Pamplona
- Burgos
- León
- Sarria

And the final (5th) of course in Santiago de Compostela.

In addition, I plan to stop over for a few days in Groningen (NL) to visit an old friend, and will depart on Fri, 31-May-2013, flying out of Vigo to Amsterdam (Train to Groningen).

I must say that I am looking so forward to this journey, and rather excited to get going. In fact, I was so inspired this morning while planning, I wrote a quick poem and hopeful will be inspired along the way to write many more. (Perhaps I’ll post the poem in the forum).

Cheers,
David

Your itinerary is looking good. I took 6 weeks from SJPP to Santiago, with stops in the biggest towns for an extra night of comfort, to get washing done, do some sight seeing and to rest. I was totally unfit at the start (red wine and tapas training regime) but comfortably walked 20 km/day before too long. Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My Camino was an incredible experience as well. Having spent my entire life in the military, I am a well-versed traveller and one, which has experienced a great deal in life. However, I must say, this was a remarkable opportunity for me, and one that I enjoyed immensely. In fact, the experience was so freeing, I have already booked flights and will depart for a shortened Camino experience, leaving Burgos on the 18th of April, arriving in Santiago on or about the 10th of May 2014. To be honest, I simply can’t wait! In fact, my rucksack in actually packed and ready to go! :)

In addition, I must say that this forum is a remarkable and enlightening venue. In fact, all the varied opinions perhaps make it all the more valuable for a wide range of established and new pilgrims alike. Although at times it does sadden me, how many judge far too fast, and make assumptions based on little knowledge of others. Nevertheless, that’s how we teach and learn from each other!

As an example, I probably fall into a bucket-load of pre-conceived categories. I rise (quietly) and depart by 6:30 (or 7am) daily, and without doubt walk quicker than most….. and I carry a cell phone (and a kindle) :) I’m also a bit of a recluse, although always friendly and never bite!

But you see, I spent a life helping others and usually at a personal cost. I wake early, because I always have, and I rarely sleep well. I walk at a speed, which is comfortable for me, but always willing to slow to chat with others. Nevertheless, and contrary to what others may think, as many I have passed have said – he must be in a race :) I don’t miss very much, and in fact, believe I capture much more of my surroundings than others. I’m the guy, who you’ll find staring off into the distance (envisioning the history around me), and touching all the churches and walls and Roman roads and bridges. I firmly believe in breathing in my surroundings and one must physically touch history to understand it, to connect with it. I don’t race for a bed, as it has little importance to me. But I do arrive earlier than most at a chosen destination, because I need as much time as I can garner in a day to see and touch and feel my surroundings. An added bonus for me, is to walk in silence in the early mornings; it allows one to appreciate the peace and quiet of the day and absorb my surroundings in greater depth. It’s that simple.

As for a cell phone and kindles - well I stay in contact with my wife (and family) who wants to, but because of MS cannot walk the Camino. Our daily contact, allows her to walk vicariously through the eyes of my journey, and that is worth any scorn others may place on me. The kindle is easy, I’ve read every night before bed, well for ever now – besides, it’s much lighter than carrying several books. For me, reading does not detract from the Camino experience in anyway, as they are completely separate and in fact, reading helps clear my mind, so I can have a deeper experience as the next day’s journey begins.

And with that said, I should go check my rucksack for the umpteenth time, so I can ensure my toothbrush has all its bristles and……. Well, I just like to unpack and pack it again, so I can drive everyone in the house crazy.

Is it April 2014 yet, because I can’t wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention, that although I do not believe that my Camino journey has taught me anything new in life; however, it has rekindled some old lessons. Which is a wonderful lesson in itself (could be an age thing :)). Regardless, if I could offer one piece of advice, it would be this.

If everyone would stop focusing, on how big or heavy another person’s pack is, or what he or she brought with him or her or didn’t and just focused on their own Camino, I think everyone would be better off.

As it’s been said many times in this forum, everyone is different, and our life and needs and capabilities are all vastly different as well. If a person is comfortable with what they have, then fine. If they brought too much, or too little, then it’s a learning opportunity and all manageable. Some people walk slow while others fast, that doesn’t depreciate or enhance ones Camino in any real way.

The real value of the Camino in my opinion is the journey within. And for me, that experience was primarily achieved, between points A and B each day and quiet reflection during a simple meal or private moment.

I think that’s it.

Oh, one last thing: Have a fun and safe Christmas and New Year’s!

Cheers,
Dave

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.