• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2013

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wishing you sunshine, clear skies and mild days.

But, just in case, besides rain gear, long gaiters, thermals and a survival blanket, take a bright orange or red scarf that you can use as a marker in case you become snow-bound at any time!

And remember, 112 is the Europe-wide emergency number. It works even if you have no money in a pre-paid mobile phone or even if your supplier has no network. It works 24/7 365 days - and the operators speak many languages. The number for the Guardia Civil in Spain is 062.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
sillydoll said:

But, just in case, besides rain gear, long gaiters, thermals and a survival blanket, take a bright orange or red scarf that you can use as a marker in case you become snow-bound at any time!

And remember, 112 is the Europe-wide emergency number. It works even if you have no money in a pre-paid mobile phone or even if your supplier has no network. It works 24/7 365 days - and the operators speak many languages. The number for the Guardia Civil in Spain is 062.
...but take advice from the locals before setting out and you might survive. :) Buen Camino!

How many of you remember Javier's fabulous winter photographs? I am posting this one which he gave me permission to put on my blog.

24th March 2008: An Italian attempts to dig out his vehicle with a shovel after it was practically buried in the snow outside the Collegiate of Roncesvalles after heavy snowfall which has fallen for two days on the area. One of the strongest storms of recent years has resulted in snow levels of between 60cm and 1.2m deep (photos: Javier - pilgrimage-to-santiago forum)

Attachments

• Snowed in car.jpg
    Snowed in car.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 434
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you fly to and from Spain, you can start in Pamplona if the weather is bad when you actually get there. When crossing the Pyrenees is dangerous, you may still be able to start in Roncesvalles safely. If it is snowed-in, just start from Pamplona and use the extra days to see Fisterra and Muxia at the end.

tyrrek said:
sillydoll said:

...but take advice from the locals before setting out and you might survive. :) Buen Camino!

What about global warming?! Maybe we'll get lucky and have nice weather :)

falcon269 said:
If you fly to and from Spain, you can start in Pamplona if the weather is bad when you actually get there. When crossing the Pyrenees is dangerous, you may still be able to start in Roncesvalles safely. If it is snowed-in, just start from Pamplona and use the extra days to see Fisterra and Muxia at the end.

Thanks, guess we'll just have to be flexible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Be prepared for anything weather-wise. I walked n April-May this year starting on the Camino Aragones at Somport.

I bought a jacket in Estrella, gloves in Santo Domingo and new rain gear in Sarria.

I had walked from Pamplona to Leon in December previously and expected the weather to be much warmer. All of the locals said it was a very cold spring. But the did say February and March were very nice - no rain and sunny!!

The sun finally came out when I got to Finesterre, about 5k from the beach. The walk in along the water (well actually "in" the water) was one of the trip highlites.

Buen Camino.

I will start my second Camino from SJPdP on April 12. Probably walking the lower route to Roncesvalles this time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm starting from SJPDP on 02 April (assuming no blizzards!) Perhaps we'll meet.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.