• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2014

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have just pressed the button on a flight to Biarritz for the 23rd April, hope to start on 24th.
Fingers crossed from now on. Hope to meet some of you on the way.
I better start looking for mine now then mate bit later in early June. So pleased your sorted though, are you going on the Ingles or French route?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are arriving at SJPP on April 24th from Charleston SC, USA. Hope to meet up with you! We will probably be stopping the first leg in Orrison as we are concerned about the mountains on our first day.

I'll be starting The Frances after Easter, 22-24th of April or someting. I will be walking slow. I want to pay more attention to being there and doing it, than I did the last time. You will most likely catch up with me. Will be wearing the Forum badge that Ivar sent to me, on my backpack. My hat was most unfortunately lost in an airport 2 years ago on my way to VdlP :rolleyes:

CharlestonBill: That sounds like a very good plan. Be good to yourself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
April 23rd? Day of Saint George not the best omen for an Irishman but he is also the Patron Saint of Catalunya some consolation perhaps - no dragons left on the Camino but he is also patron for the Boy Scouts who's skills you may find helpful on the Camino as well saddlemakers and horsemen should you decide to ride - a good day to start but then most every day is a good day to start! Buon Camino.
Go raibh cĂłir na gaoithe i gcĂłnaĂ­ leat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino Pat. I will be walking one of the other caminos this year (still to be decided) but I should be in Santiago when you arrive in May.

Nos vemos entonces mi amigo,

Seán.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been casting around for a date and it sounds like a "bad" lot has signed up for the 23rd/24th of April 2014. Good a time as any.....so I will use it as we'll!
Try not to trip on me as you pass!
BTW, any "friends of Bill" (yeah, it's code) stumbling down the trail?

Good Luck, All!!!!

Walkdon'trun.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like you Geradcarey, I too am feeling this present moment to be somewhat disturbed by all this excitement. You fortunate lot of April fools, how shall I prevent myself from becoming envious and return to gratitude, But I shall, I wish all of you a big " Buen Camino":) Now where is that airline booking site for June. :confused:

I have been casting around for a date and it sounds like a "bad" lot has signed up for the 23rd/24th of April 2014. Good a time as any.....so I will use it as we'll!
Try not to trip on me as you pass!
BTW, any "friends of Bill" (yeah, it's code) stumbling down the trail?

Good Luck, All!!!!

Walkdon'trun.
Hi Brendan! As a friend of Bill's, I will be trudging the road to happy destiny as well! I will be starting in Astorga May 7th/8th, I'm thinking we may run into each other! It would be quite comforting to have an English speaking mini meeting along "the way"! I will be wearing a teal osprey pack with a butterfly patch that carries our symbol:) god willing, I'll see you there! Kelly from Idaho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are arriving at SJPP on April 24th from Charleston SC, USA. Hope to meet up with you! We will probably be stopping the first leg in Orrison as we are concerned about the mountains on our first day.
Can't find your last communication....Essentially the same itinerary only I will be on American out of DFW. We arrive about the same time.
Haven't heard back from Puro yet..(here's hoping ). Look forward to hooking up!

It took a few hours to hear back from Puro! We arrive from DFW in Madrid at 1005 am on the 24th via British Airway. THen on Iberia Air from Madrid to Pamplona

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Look forward to meeting you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Charleston bill, I leave from Dallas on April 24th as well. Going to paris CDG then the train to SJPP. Will start on the Sunday. :)
Britchik, we might be a day in front but you look strong enough to catch up.....Buen Camino...regardless!

Charleston bill, I leave from Dallas on April 24th as well. Going to paris CDG then the train to SJPP. Will start on the Sunday. :)
Sounds great. Joan and I will be walking to Orrison on the 25th. Will probably be two day ahead for a little while but we average 4-5 kph so we'll see you soon.

I arrive at St. Jean on 25 April (via CDG and the train to Bayonne / St. Jean Pied de Port) and plan to start out on 27 April - Sunday. I also plan to stay at Orisson the first evening, as I did last year.

Staying two nights at St. Jean before starting gets me over jet lag and allows me to complete final packing and provisioning. Besides, St. Jean is a VERY interesting town to play tourist in. I heartily recommend doing this before starting one's Camino. It helps set the mood.

If anyone wants to start out with me, slowly from St. Jean to Orisson, after a leisurely breakfast on Sunday, I will be at Hotel Ramuntcho, on the corner of Rue de France and Rue de la Citadelle on the 25th and 26th. Stop by and say hi, or leave a note with your mobile number.:)

There is no rush on this first 8km segment, and the views are absolutely breathtaking. I also listed my departure in the Events calendar for April.

See ya!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello All, I will be starting a very slow Camino from SJPP on 26 April. I am booked for Orisson that night. Hope to see some of you on the way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Starting from SJPP on 5 April for my first Camino. Looking forward to the experience on many different levels.

My first Camino. Arriving in SJPP April 21, then starting out the next day. Arriving Bayonne on TGV from Paris about 15:30. Have booked a shuttle with Express Bourricot to SJPP if anyone wants to share the ride and cost. The train from Bayonne to SJPP is cheaper, but arrives much later than I'd like.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all :) my partner and I will be starting 21st/22nd April. So excited! Still have so much to prep as it's been a bit of a 'last minute' thing!

Finally booked a flight today - Gatwick to Bordeaux, Wed 23 April 2014. Hope to start out from SJPP to CdS on Thu 24 April 2014, D.V.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Starting on Eurostar on 23rd April and leaving SJPdP on 25th (Orisson booked). Hoping to get to Santiago this year (Pamplona to Burgos last muddy Spring). Excited and a little scared.
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Starting on Eurostar on 23rd April and leaving SJPdP on 25th (Orisson booked). Hoping to get to Santiago this year (Pamplona to Burgos last muddy Spring). Excited and a little scared.
Annie
Jon and I booked Orisson on the 25th also. See you there.

Booked my flight today, arrive SJPdP 28th April, to start next day 29th April. I will probably book accommodation for the 28th but intend to go "free form" from there on taking maybe 25 - 28 days to Santiago and if still in good health maybe wander on to Muxia.

Hoping for good weather, good company, and maybe a glass or two en route.

Booked my flight today, arrive SJPdP 28th April, to start next day 29th April. I will probably book accommodation for the 28th but intend to go "free form" from there on taking maybe 25 - 28 days to Santiago and if still in good health maybe wander on to Muxia.

Hoping for good weather, good company, and maybe a glass or two en route.

Joan and I will be in Orisson the first night, then free form from there. Will start on 25 Apr but we're slow walkers so perhaps we'll share a glass or two on the way. Buen Camino.

For those people who booked Orisson: what happens if bad weather prevents you taking that route on the day you booked? Can you transfer your booking to the next day?

€83,-
For those people who booked Orisson: what happens if bad weather prevents you taking that route on the day you booked? Can you transfer your booking to the next day?

The bad weather only presents as a risk due to lack of shelter and obscured trail higher up the mountain, particularly as the 'risk' area is reached late in the day when energy levels are low and sunlight is fading. It is only 8km from SJPdP to Orisson along well defined and travelled paved road ... you'd have to work pretty hard to get into trouble.

From Orisson the risk is much reduced because the day is only 20km to Roncesvalles instead of 28 and the first stage grunt is already over.

I would guess you'd only be able to stay another day if there are spaces available ... if its booked you're out of luck.

The bad weather only presents as a risk due to lack of shelter and obscured trail higher up the mountain, particularly as the 'risk' area is reached late in the day when energy levels are low and sunlight is fading. It is only 8km from SJPdP to Orisson along well defined and travelled paved road ... you'd have to work pretty hard to get into trouble.

From Orisson the risk is much reduced because the day is only 20km to Roncesvalles instead of 28 and the first stage grunt is already over.

I would guess you'd only be able to stay another day if there are spaces available ... if its booked you're out of luck.

Thanks a lot whariwharangi, I'll go ahead and book.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll be starting around the same time. Canadian Pilgrim patch on my pack. 2nd time as well also taking it a bit slower this time to see what I missed last year and enjoy every moment.
Leaving SJPDP on the 23rd. April with my brother-in-law Rick. Rick hiked it last year this will be my first Camino. Canadian from Nova Scotia.

Leaving SJPDP on the 23rd. April with my brother-in-law Rick. Rick hiked it last year this will be my first Camino. Canadian from Nova Scotia.

Welcome soumie. I'm not likely to walk very fast, spending night of 24th April at Orisson if I can get a bed. You might catch up with me. I'm a South African living in England.

Edited 23 Feb: Orisson booked for 24th April.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone, I will be walking my first Camino this year, starting in St. Jean Pied de Port at the 27th of April. Hopefully I'll finish in Santiago at the end of May / beginning of June. I'm very looking forward to this journey and hope to come across some of you along the way! I'm still in the process of figuring everything out on this forum, so I'll probably post some more in the future and ask for some advice. For now, nice to meet everyone!

Hi Soumie,
I also leave from SJPDP on the 23rd April. Staying in Orisson then onwards and upwards. Most likely see you on the way.
Buen Camino

Hi Soumie,
I also leave from SJPDP on the 23rd April. Staying in Orisson then onwards and upwards. Most likely see you on the way.
Buen Camino

Hi Alexster66,

I'm hoping to leave on the 23 or 24 from SJPDP depending on the jet lag factor. Hope to see you along the path.

Soumie (Larry)

Hi April starters. I'm leaving SJPdP on the 25th April and stopping at Orisson. Hoping to get to Santiago this year (Pamplona to Burgos in 2013). Hope to see some of you en route.
Annie

€149,-
Hi April starters. I'm leaving SJPdP on the 25th April and stopping at Orisson. Hoping to get to Santiago this year (Pamplona to Burgos in 2013). Hope to see some of you en route.
Annie

Annie

I hope to see you along the way. I'm a slow walker so you should catch up to me.

Buen Camino
Soumie (Larry)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey folks, sounds like we will have plenty on the road in the end of April.
I will be leaving St. JPdP on the 25 and staying at Orisson that night.
I think that is called "gliding" into the Camino.
Buen Camino to all who toil !
WalkDontRun !

Hey folks, sounds like we will have plenty on the road in the end of April.
I will be leaving St. JPdP on the 25 and staying at Orisson that night.
I think that is called "gliding" into the Camino.
Buen Camino to all who toil !
WalkDontRun !
Hi Brendan

It sure looks like a merry crowd assembling for that "little stroll" at the end of April. Not long now, and a bit more training to do. I have given in to reality and bought some Compeed plasters today....

Hi all,

I'm arriving on the 26th around midday and starting out on Sunday, the 27th. Aiming to push through to Roncesvalles by day's end. :eek: Any company is welcome :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
just booked the plane...flying on the 2nd of April to Barcelona, arriving SJPDP via Pamplona on the 3rd and hitting the road to Santiago on April 4th
... now just need to manage to restrain my impatience until then :)

My "plan" is to arrive in SJPdP on the morning of the 26th April, and start walking on the 27th. If there is room in the inn at Orrison, I will lay my body down there. If not, it will be Roncesvalles.

My "plan" is to arrive in SJPdP on the morning of the 26th April, and start walking on the 27th. If there is room in the inn at Orrison, I will lay my body down there. If not, it will be Roncesvalles.

I've never stayed at Orisson, but don't they supply beds in tents when the albergue is full? Seems I heard this somewhere...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks, Annie, yes I believe I have heard something about that. Will be the first test to see if the Camino still provides what one needs... ;)

Thanks, Annie, yes I believe I have heard something about that. Will be the first test to see if the Camino still gives you whasat you need... ;)

The first year I walked, 2009 I think, there was also a tipi off to the right of the trail. I didn't stay, but talked to people who did and they loved it.

I've never stayed at Orisson, but don't they supply beds in tents when the albergue is full? Seems I heard this somewhere...

I have just crossed the Pyrenees and there was such heavy snow that the Napoleon route has been closed! Maybe check this out first.

€149,-
My goodness, I have just realised that I am flying out a week tomorrow, that really snuck up on me, have to start packing, get a haircut, print tickets, pray for good weather..... stay calm...... don't panic.

I get what you're saying, I'm leaving in ten days and I'm starting to feel really underprepared, even though I've pretty much got it all under control for now (if that's even possible). I'm very, very excited though and can't wait to get started! I'm sure you'll feel the same. Buen Camino and maybe I'll meet you along the way.

I agree Wayfarer, I thought I was prepared, then all these extras start coming up and time is running away from me.:confused:
I leave in 5 days and 2 are public holidays plus a weekend so I really feel like I've run out of time.
I keep telling myself that there's nothing I can't get over there.
The nerves are rattling a fair bit and I keep going over the same stuff. Part of me is in denial that this is actually happening after soooooooooo long and so much planning.
No doubt I will be caught up to by anyone else, so may very well see you on the Way.:p
Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Will be there at the same time.....see you later!
Let's just hope the weather is fine....I don't want to miss the views.
Everything is packed and I am determined to not revisit any items, although the temptation is there.
Buen Camino to us all
Brendan

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum
Walkdontrun

Walk and enjoy each step - as Kanga says just one step at a time - I bet when your shopping you don't think about the next step - so just enjoy the walk and remember you have a large support family

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I told my friends I'm crossing the Pyrenees in a few days. One of them said "I hope you have a good pair of knees".

Fair point. I'm about to find out.

Is it raining? If the weather's horrible I'd go via Valcarlos.

Pack bag - check
Haircut - check
Print tickets - check
Pray for good weather - check
Stay calm - check :)
Now all thats left is to get there on Wednesday and start walking. I will try and keep you posted on "live from the Camino" as to conditions etc.
Hope to meet some of you along the way.
Buen Camino.
You will be a day ahead of us. Not sure if these old legs will allow us to catch up. God bless and Buen Camino.
Bill and Joan

€83,-
Hi Erin, I shall also be departing. SDPD on the 26th April to head to Orrison for my first stop.

Leaving Vancouver, Canada on April 22nd and arriving in SJPP on the 24th. Will leave on the 25th and staying at Orisson, actually Gite Kayola as the main lodge is full but I will be there for dinner. As for planning and prep, whatever isn't done isn't going to get done. Mowed the lawn for the last time yesterday.

Mowed my lawn today, Now have to pay somebody to do it for the next 7 weeks, One of the costs you do not think of when looking at the trip, I will be in O
risson on the 25th hope to see you there

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.