• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best approach from Australia pls

Tess42

Hi ,we will be doing the caminofrom SJP- What is our best approach /and departure from /to Australia please ,as we are travelling a long way ,quickest route possible .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will need to fly to a major international airport, eg Madrid or barcelona, after that bus or train to your chosen start point eg pamplona / roncessvalles, time is dependant on your chosen airline, route amd stoppver/transit points

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dwvkh2

We travelled from Perth to Paris via Dubai, spent a couple of days in Paris then got the train down to St Jean... May be quicker to fly via Madrid, but this worked out better and cheaper for us.

Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have yet to book, but I plan to fly from Melbourne to St Charles de Gualle in Paris, then catch a cheap flight to Biarritz. Then book the "Express Barricout" taxi to St Jean. With a flight leaving Melbourne mid afternoon I can be at St Jean by about 8pm the next day. Not bad timing, I think, considering the distance.
Just waiting for some family issues to resolve before I book, but that is the best I have found so far. Hope it is all still available when I am ready. I was looking at leaving here on a Tuesday, as flights seem to connect better that day.

23 Aug I'm flying China Southern from Brisbane into Amsterdam (via Guangzhou) - purely a price driven decision. I'll take a wandering week to get to SJPDP by train to start my Camino Sept 1st.

Consider arriving Europe in either Paris, London, Madrid, or Barcelona.
Coming south from Paris you need to get to Bayonne then change to the local train to SJPDP.
Coming north from Madrid or Barcelona most appear to train to Pamplona then bus to SJPDP.
From England many fly Ryanair from London Standstead into Biarritz then bus to SJPDP.

Search this forum for lots of more detailed information

You have a few viable options - Paris, Madrid, London.

My preference is to fly to Paris and then train to SJPDP (you need to change trains at Bayonne). I've also gone via London (frequent flyer points dictated the route), Ryan Air from Stansted to Biarritz then train to Bayonne and change for SJPDP.

You need to consider the return journey as well. The London option was tedious at the beginning but easy at the end with a plane from Santiago to Stansted, a couple of days in London then a choice from lots of flights back to Australia.

Santiago to Paris makes for a long train journey but flights are available. Madrid is the best option if you prefer to return from Santiago by train.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just got an email from Emirates saying they are upgrading Spanish flights and are now flying from Aus into Barcelona, Madrid & Lisbon daily. Pricing A$1860 -1874 return. Sounds about average but Emirates offer above average quality. You'd need to check with Emirates regarding the cities they exit aus from.

Hi all,

I plan to arrive in SJPP around 18 Sept (from Melbourne) and am thinking flying to Paris as feels easier and slightly cheaper than Barcelona and Madrid. Chinese airlines definately cheapest but also Thai/Air France combos (change Bangkok) are not that dear and good reputation. My 18y/o niece is currently on the Camino now, she flew South Chinese, said it was fine but KLM (their connection) lost her luggage for 24 hours. KLM are high on the stats for losing luggage.

My question for those who have traveled by train from Paris to Bayonne/Biarritz is - is this a nice, scenic route and how long? Have never been in France before so am thinking this option over flying.

Also - getting from airport to train station - is it difficult? And - if I have to stay overnight in Paris if arriving late, any suggestions for where to stay thats easy to get to, near train station.

I hope my question is of help to the original poster and others. Thanks for your advice.
Sabina

FaithandGratitude said:
My question for those who have traveled by train from Paris to Bayonne/Biarritz is - is this a nice, scenic route and how long? Have never been in France before so am thinking this option over flying.

Also - getting from airport to train station - is it difficult? And - if I have to stay overnight in Paris if arriving late, any suggestions for where to stay thats easy to get to, near train station.

It's fairly easy to get from CDG to Gare Montparnasse. The ticket agent there in the airport was very helpful and friendly; he told us how to get to the station. I don't remember exactly how long the train was to Bayonne (got there, not Biarritz!) - a few hours, pleasant, mostly fields. The train from Bayonne to SJPP is great!

Can't help with the hotel - we stayed at airport hotel after a delayed flight from the US had us arrive with a zombie kid who literally could not walk through the airport. We had to let him sleep in a chair for a while.

You'll figure it out. Be flexible. Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
FaithandGratitude said:

3walkingtoSantiago said:
It's fairly easy to get from CDG to Gare Montparnasse. The ticket agent there in the airport was very helpful and friendly; he told us how to get to the station. I don't remember exactly how long the train was to Bayonne (got there, not Biarritz!) - a few hours, pleasant, mostly fields. The train from Bayonne to SJPP is great!

Can't help with the hotel - we stayed at airport hotel after a delayed flight from the US had us arrive with a zombie kid who literally could not walk through the airport. We had to let him sleep in a chair for a while.

You'll figure it out. Be flexible. Buen camino!

FaithandGratitude,

Take the airport bus to Paris. From Paris to SJPdP the route is generally a SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) train from the Paris Gare Montmarnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP. You can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French National Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/. You NEED a reservation for any TGV train and It is cheaper to book the ticket well in advance. You can book both tickets at the same time, but you can usually reserve on the day of departure when you purchase the ticket. If you take the mid morning train from Paris you can be in SJPdP by late afternoon or from Austerlitz station you might take the night train to SJPdP and then the local TER in the morning.

As 3walkingtoSantiago mentioned the TER journey from Bayonne is a delight as it slowly moves deep into the Basque country.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

PS A small simple hotel near Montparnasse station is the Hotel de Paris at 51 avenue du Maine. Here is their web link http://www.hotelparismaine.com/

FaithandGratitude said:
Hi all,

My 18y/o niece is currently on the Camino now, she flew South Chinese, said it was fine but KLM (their connection) lost her luggage for 24 hours. KLM are high on the stats for losing luggage.

Also - getting from airport to train station - is it difficult?
Hi Sabina, Rather than running the risk of having your gear go missing, take your backpack on as hand luggage. You can't take poles or knife etc on board so I pack them in a postal tube and send them through as luggage. On the return trip I either buy another tube or just wrap them in bubble wrap.

Your method of going into Paris will depend on the time you arrive. If you are early in the morning you can take the train from the airport (change to the Metro at Paris St-Michel). The train station is next to the terminals and the direction is well signposted.

If you do go directly from the airport to St Jean, you will not be concerned about the view - your biggest concern will be trying to stay awake! :) I usually go for that option though so that all the travelling is out of the way. The train ride from Bayonne to SJPDP is lovely and by that stage it's too exciting to fall asleep so you can enjoy the ride.

If you do decide to overnight in Paris, you have the choice of train or bus from the airport into the city.

Many backpacks exceed hand luggage dimensions, i took 7kg of contents in a light disposable cabin bag (candy stripe) if my backpack was lost that is easy to replace, the contents were not so easy to shop for in a foreign country.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wzvidq

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear Julie, Margaret, 3WalkingtoSantiago and FFP13 - thankyou so much for your thoughtful, helpful replies!! I havent travelled o/s in 18 years though I lived/travelled o/s throughout my twenties - so am rusty and nervous - but also happy, excited, grateful and I have faith! Thanks again for your generosity; this has helped a bunch. Sabina x

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back