• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Checking baggage or bringing it through security?

MCVet

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2012)
Is it better to check the backpack and tell them where it needs to go (I have to make a transfer flight before going over seas) or bring it through security (TSA) and risk having to unpack everything?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always recommend taking the backpack into the cabin. Too often they go missing and can take days to catch up with you (if you are lucky!) Ensure that it complies with the weight and dimension restrictions of the airline. Send through any 'weapons' - scissors, nail clippers, cutlery etc in a separate bag or small box. You can always replace those but not boots, shoes, sleeping bag, clothes etc.

Check the back pack. I know of only one alleged to have been lost. Wrap it so that the straps do not tangle the baggage handling equipment. I take just cell phone and camera into the cabin. I am the envy of every passenger that seems to have all his worldly goods in the overhead bins. All I need is room for a jacket.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Falcon - not knowing people who have had their backpacks lost does not mean that it hasn't happened! Over and over again our Confraternity hears the same sad stories of backpacks not arriving with them in France or Spain because they were lost by the airline.
And, its not only the big airlines who lose backpacks. In September I invited my 19 year-old nephew to join me on the Camino. He arrived in Biarritz from London and his backpack didn't. I had to wait for him in St Jean and buy him a pair of walking shorts, underpants and a walking pole. Luckily I was able to enlist the help of Caroline (from Express Bourricot) who was able to pick up the pack in Biarritz 4 days later and deliver it to us in Zubiri.
Put it in the cabin and even if you envy the guy with only a jacket, sleep soundly knowing that your Camino gear is safe in the overhead locker!

Yes check it in!
Peace of mind @ not having to stuff it in above your seat esp when no room!, or having to carry it around with you around airport, & you can carry more toothpaste/liquids too, etc too, reckon it helps with decompression too :), bag gone yipee, so when you wait for plane no worries enjoy; bag is like having a child with you! GONE!

Incidents of mishandled baggage in 2010 averaged 3.57 per 1,000 passengers - down 10.5 percent from the 2009 figure of 3.99.
Based on voluntary submissions of data by 29 airlines, the AEA Summer 2008 Consumer Report (December 2008) ranked the following European airlines as having the highest number of mishandled bags per 1,000 – enplaned passenger volume noted in parenthesis:

bmi: 24.5 (3,313,435)
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines: 20.1 (15,169,831)
TAP Portugal: 19.9 (5,958,008)
Alitalia: 19.6 (12,733,122)
British Airways: 18.9 (23,540,710)
Air France: 16.9 (34,704,243)
Air One: 14.1 (4,583,787)
Iberia: 14.0 (17,699,229)
Deutsche Lufthansa AG: 12.7 (36,008,113)
LOT Polish Airlines: 12.3 (2,614,948)
Luxair: 11.9 (402,854)
Austrian: 11.7 (7,115,508)

Note: Aer Lingus, JAT Airways Olympic Airlines did not submit data; Ryanair was not included in the list.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have always brought my backpack for caminos as carry on. It is small and light and I have one less worry about it going astray. Also, you don't have to wait around the luggage claim and can get in and out of the airport faster.

I think it depends on how far you're going. If you have a short, non-stop flight, then definitely carry it on rather than worry about it getting lost.

I've got a long flight coming up with two plane changes, though, and I'm going to put my pack and a couple of pieces of "city" clothes in a large suitcase and check it so I don't have to lug it around from one flight to another. I'm taking a small carry-on which will fit under the seat with all my valuables (well, valuable to me) and in-flight comfort items. I'll leave the suitcase and carry-on in the hotel's baggage storage while I'm walking.

Of course, this only works if you're flying to and from the Camino out of the same airport ...

Lol quite the mixed bag here. I guess currently I'm leaning towards checking it since I'll be bringing a knife and then don't have to divide up my fluids.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We had this topic in 2010 when Clyde's pack didnt arrive with him in Madrid airport.

camino-crime-watch/topic6875.html?hilit=clyde#p40623

He spent the night in the airport but it didn't come the next day either. He made his way to Pamplona but was refused entry to the Jesus y Maria albergue because he didn't have a backpack! He was able to spend the night at the Paderbon albergue. The next day he bought a small kit bag and was able to find a few things in the 'free box. His walk was delayed by 4 days but the pack was never found (and is still missing).

The stats are about people - whose luggage has gone missing (some never to be found!).
Whether its 11 people or 24 people, its devastating for them especially if everything they have bought for this one big walk is lost.

I check mine in, too but take my rain coat, light- weight (400gr) sleeping bag, camera and cell phone with chargers as a carry-on. Two flights each time. Poles, weapons and fluids in the backbag.
buen camino
annie

For those who need something to worry about, luggage certainly can top the list. But like snake bites, there are better worries (like bee stings, which do kill people -- 53 per year in the U.S. compared to 12 for snakes)! Your bag will get there with you 986 out of 1,000 flights on Iberia.

Iberia doesn't fly from South Africa.

Iberia doesn't fly from South Africa.
With the seventh worst baggage handling record, you are lucky! I was on the fourth worst airline, British Airways, connecting with Iberia, on my last flights, and transferred at Heathrow, arguably the worst airport in the world, and my bags STILL got there with me.

A new trend?
Spirit Airlines, it appears, does not care how much you hate bag fees. On Thursday, the company announced it would begin charging up to $100 for some carry-on bags. Not checked baggage, mind you. Carry-ons.

Spirit was already one of the only airlines with the gumption to force you to pay to load your bag in an overhead bin. It will now charge customers $35 for a carry-on when they book their ticket, and $50 if they settle up at check in. Only those who show up to the gate without having already paid will get hit with the full, whopping $100 fee.
From Spirit Airlines:
Remember, we always provide one personal item free of charge per customer. Personal items (e.g. purse, small backpack, briefcase, etc.) must fit underneath the seat, so the dimensions must not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30 cm).

Additionally, the following carry-on items are not counted towards a customer's carry-on bag allowance and can be brought with you on all flights free of charge - umbrella, camera, infant diaper bag, assistive devices, outer garments (e.g. coats, hats, and wraps), stroller, reading material, and food for the flight.

In certain instances, wheelchairs, car seats and strollers may be checked or carried on free of charge.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always carry my backpack with me.
It makes me pack light, and is easily put into the above-seat storage.

I know personally of 3 people who have arrived in Spain minus their pack.
One never recovered the pack.
2 got it within 2-3 days.

was refused entry to the Jesus y Maria albergue because he didn't have a backpack
New management there is supposed to have stopped such practices. A credential may be required, but they sell them there.

actually, if luggage is delayed the airline is responsible for delivering it to you, you don't need to sit at the airport. Insurance will cover the expenses for a change of clothes and a toothbrush just remember to get an Property Irregularity Report number PIR at the airport (actually airlines has some liability too €1230,-). My travel insurance covers $200 a day for expenses and my household insurance covers if the luggage never is found, so theres really no reason to sit around and wait for it to show up...

so, once again: insurance, never leave home without it..

above does not include valuables btw

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Alright well I have a new question related to this one, so as to avoid creating a new topic, hopefully people will still check this one:

If I do decide to check it (still undecided), what would I put the bag in? I've read of people wrapping it in teflon tape to prevent the straps from going everywhere, but is that enough? How would I label it as mine? Would that stand up to the rough handling it'd undergo by the baggage handlers?

Maybe that's not all people do to the backpack. So what are my other options? I've also read (and seen here locally) basically duffel bags for my backpack, but they're about $30 so I'm not entirely enthused about that option. Was hoping for a cheap alternative. I've been looking for a cheap canvas bag but no luck so far. And then the same problem remains: how would I go about labeling it and is there anything special I'd have to do as far as making it 'flyable' (from my perspective as well as the airlines)?

I check mine as large luggage (which is also odd sized, umbrelas, strollers chellos etc) and have never had issues unwrapped. If i planned on checking I wouldprobably just bring a large bin bag and chech there if need be you can ge a fragile sticker at the desk...

but honestly, I have travelled extensively and all that has ever happened to anything is dirt and a scratch on a hardshell suitcase (except when BA paid my shopping spree in caracas for misplacing my suicase)...

I believe some airlines don't like "naked" backpacks being checked as hold luggage - the multiple straps stick in the conveyors.
There's a "chinese" £1 shop near here. I bought a big, plastic bag with a zip and two handles. It cost £1.40 - a bargain! The backpack AND a walking pole went into it easily. I also put a couple of bungee bands round it. No problem at check-in.
Buen camino!
Stephen

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
P.S. I noticed in Santiago airport a baggage packing facility in the departures lounge. For 6 euros they will "shrink-wrap" your bag, leaving a hole for the handle to which your baggage label can be attached. They will wrap a bicycle for 16 Euros.
I personally can't see why it should be necessary - but they had a few customers!
Buen camino!
Stephen.

Wrapping bags is common for travel in South America and, I would think for certain other areas of the world where baggage is not secure. I went to a thrift store and bought a nylon bag for $2. Attached luggage tags to both it and my backpack. Leaving today.

Stephen Nicholls said:
P.S. I noticed in Santiago airport a baggage packing facility in the departures lounge. For 6 euros they will "shrink-wrap" your bag, leaving a hole for the handle to which your baggage label can be attached. They will wrap a bicycle for 16 Euros.
I personally can't see why it should be necessary - but they had a few customers!
Buen camino!
Stephen.
Yes, I noticed that shrink wrap thing. I can imagine it might be useful to keep a baby stroller clean, but for a backpack after a Camino it probably doesn't apply.

I usually fasten the clips on my pack and minimise any loose straps etc. Often I'm asked to take it to a separate area after checking it in for 'awkward' baggage. No problems though - after all, backpacks have been around longer than airlines so they should be able to cope by now. Even Ryanair at Santiago last month checked in my walking pole separately (free! :shock: ), when it could really just have gone into the pack if necessary.

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've been wrestling with this topic as well. I did buy a large 60 liter stuff sack at REI for about $11.50 My pack fits in it if I choose to check it. I think I am going to bring my pack with me in the cabin and check the stuff sack with my hiking poles, knife and small scissors. If it gets lost I won't sweat it.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back