• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

Bellababy I too am from the island and if you choose to go in May it is possible our paths could cross ... last summer I did a trek up (and down) Mount Doug with my kids ... it was tough ... I figure the trip to Orrison will be like 3 or 4 Mount Dougs stacked on top of each other ... Yikes!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tamaey , Laurie & I are also heading out in Sept 2014 , we haven't whittled down to what week yet but it looks like 3rd week . I have searched the forum for a good accurate forcast and I am very proud to say I found the answer , It is that "it depends" :lol: Really , I hear Sept is nice. If you watch the "Radio Buen Camino" Videos(link) which was filmed in Sept 2011 you will get a good idea what to expect ( in 2011) . Hope it's the same for 2014

https://vimeo.com/search?q=radio++buen+camino

Joe

tgottuso said:
Hi Everyone!

My name is Tamaey and I'll be walking the Camino Sep/Oct of 2014 and have visualized this for over 10yrs and finally see the starting line :) in site! I am from South Bend, IN and will flying from Chicago to Paris then taking the train from Paris to Bayonne and then onto SJPdP. I'm wanting to avoid BIG crowds so thought maybe the 3rd week in Sep to begin and taking my time up to 45 days. Anyone know if its too cold to walk mid-late Oct?

Looking forward to connecting with all of you, thanks for this GREAT forum, I've learned so much already!

Hi,
i'm Fabio, 36y old from Northern Italy and i'm planning my first Camino Francès from SJPDP for april/may 2014.
Most likely I will begin the route on April the 19th or 20th and I hope to finish it within 30-33 days.
Because i'm from Turin, i will fly from Milan Orio al Serio to Lourdes and from here by bus/train to Bayonne and then SJPD. I hope to get to SJPDP in the evening and begin the journey the next day.

I'm still not quite sure of being able to get up to finisterre or to stop to Santiago and live the city for a couple of days. Or maybe i will slow down even more in order to dedicate myself to my passion, photography, and to bring even more deeply the meditative process that I hope will accompany me along the way.

I've started to prepare theoretically (reading guides, travel stories and watching documentaries and films), physically (with longer and longer walks) and, above all, psychologically. I'm facing a very difficult and complex stage of my life and I really hope that the Camino will have a thaumaturgical effect on me.

I hope to get in touch with other people who have chosen to walk the path during this period, so do not hesitate to contact me privately to exchange tips and opinions.
Buen Camino to all!

Fabio

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am Bill and live near Chicago in USA.
After having eye surgery I promised that if all went well I would do this for myself as thanks and for my brother who has MS
I am thinking of a combination of cycling and walking since I will have 14 days or so. Fly to Paris and spend a day at Lourdes then train to SJPPto begin. Looking forward to it. Have not decided when to go but will be either in late Nay or in September. :D

This is Pam from Cape Town in South Africa.. I am planning to walk next year around May sometime and alone. I will be 57 by then. I am not sure yet what route I want to walk but I am hoping to take about a month. I still need to do lots of reading. Excited but nervous as well. Awesome forum.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Maarten and I am from Queensland, Australia. Initiated by the wish to do something special to celebrate my wife Josephine’s 50th birth year in 2014, we decided that we will walk the Camino de Santiago in April-May 2014. Our Camino will start in St Jean Pied de Port in France.

We are originally from the Netherlands and emigrated in 1999 to Australia. We live close to Bundaberg, 380km north of Brisbane. Josephine's parents (who live in the Netherlands) walked the Camino several times. In 1995 her father walked from Le Puy to SdC at the age of 63. So he is a great inspiration for me. The language shouldn't be a problem because my wife speaks fluently French and she is reasonable well in Spanish. I enjoy the stories on this website and to learn from experiences from other travellers.

In 2013 our focus is … walking, walking and more walking… To get our Mind, Body and Spirit ready for our Camino.

We look forward to meet some of you in April/May 2014.

Buen Camino,
Maarten

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone,
I'm glad so many others are also planning their 2014 Camino already. I thought I was just being over-zealous. This trip is actually my mum's doing. She's been wanting to go for a while, and so my big sister, niece, and i have decided to join her. We're aiming for mid April/May starting in SJPP (from Adelaide, Australia).

It'll be a bit of a challenge for us, I think. Thought my sister and I used to be big hikers, I have become significantly less so over the last five years due to arthritis in my foot. Despite this I still managed the Overland Track in Tasmania last year, but it was painful. I'm working on taking the best possible care of my foot however, so I should be fine. It's just my little obstacle!

My mum has had one hip replaced, due for the other when we get back from the Camino, and arthritis in her spine, but determination and spirit always win out! She's been unstoppable on our practice walks.

She and my niece also have Coeliac, but we've already looked up how to say that in Spanish.

This might sound dreary but it's really anything but that. We all have our own obstacles and reasons for going, and we're all dying to start!

So far i think i will meet all this people on the Camino because we are going to plan it on the same period: mid april/may.

SherreeLynn said:
My partner and I plan to start walking the Camino Frances in mid-April 2014
Baersson said:
Plans so far are to go the whole Camino de Frances from Saint PdP (France) to Santiago. I may start mid of April 2014
AuldCamino said:
I am planning on hiking el camino in April 2014.
Marina82 said:
I am planning on embarking on my camino (alone) in April 2014
Laliibeans said:
We're aiming for mid April/May starting in SJPP
majoscamino said:
we decided that we will walk the Camino de Santiago in April-May 2014.

It will be a pleaseure for me to share with you opinions and advicea on how best to prepare the way, and how to spend in the best way the 14 months that separate us from the goal. So, keep in touch!

Fabio

Hi All,
I'm planning to walk the VDLP in late April 2014. I was stationed in Rota, Spain for five years half a century ago (where does the time go?) with the US military. When I was living in Spain, I'd never heard of the Camino de Santiago, and only learned of it when I saw the movie The Way. The movie brought back many fond memories of Spain and, since I'm retired now, I decided "why not". I'm looking forward to my trip and meeting other perigrinos. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi class of 2014
Brought on by an article in a magazine and a phone call later, the decision was made. Now two Kiwi's girls are on their way from New Zealand, to do the Camino Del Norte mid May 2014 starting at San Sebastián so excited. Brought the boots and socks figured they were the most important things to get started. For now, just putting in some local walking not much as boots and walkers both need to be broken in slowly :) Not rushing this adventure as we want to start as we mean to go on and enjoy every bit of the journey. Sure we want to know a little bit about where we are heading but the best part is going to be the discovery along the way, places, people, food, cultures, lots of laughs for sure may even meet up with a few of you, see you there.

Also planning the Norte route for May 2014 from Biarritz.
Walked from St Jean to Finisterre last year and it was amazing. Will go to Finisterre again and then on to Muxia.
Can't wait.

Hello All!

I'm currently writing from Cincinnati OH. My mom and I (along with some aunts, possibly and maybe a sister!) plan on walking the Camino Frances in early May 2014, right after I graduate from college. I figured I should take the time now before life and work catch up with me. I'll admit, I feel a bit intimidated by the fact that everyone has started planning before me! But it's so wonderful to read everyone's stories and find out that some of us will be walking at the same time! I've been obsessed with going on El Camino ever since I saw "The Way," as many of you have mentioned. I think that it's answering a much deeper need for contemplation in my life. Sometimes, I find it necessary to completely leave my "real" life behind for me to find out what I really need and want. I'm so glad that is resource is available & hopefully I'll meet some of you on the way.

Buen camino everyone,

Clare

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My name is Ingrid. I live just outside of Denver, CO. A friend and I are planning to walk Camino Frances in March 2014. We are both what some might call "experienced" travelers, but we have never taken on anything like El Camino. I have begun my physical training, as we are planning to walk the entire 500 miles with fate's blessing. We are not planning to walk straight through, however. We are planning one to three "tourist" days in cities like Pamplona, Leon, Burgos, and (of course) a few days to enjoy our victory in Santiago de Compostela! We are planning a full month for the entire journey. I don't like using the term "once in a lifetime" when referring to my travels. I find it fatalistic. I want to see the entire world twice! In this instance, however, I will comfortable use the expression. I look forward to everything! The physical, emotional, and meteorological challenges. I look forward to both the fat and the lean of the journey. What I look forward to most is EARNING my stamps! 8)

It looks like I will be in the UK around Easter 2014, and have started thinking about what I might do in a fortnight. The Camino Ingles and Finisterre/Muxia seem to be good options as well as some of the British pilgrimage walks.

Hello all!
I also first head of the Camino from a Rick Steves podcast interview. Then I kept hearing about it. Then my husband bought me maps and a guidebook as part of my Christmas gift. Then my brother told me he and my SIL are going August/September 2013. He also sent me the link to this forum--I wonder if he knew that would hook me?
I told DH yesterday that he was welcome to join, but I will go with or without him in 2014. As I am teacher, I can only go July/August, which I can only imagine will be smokin' hot in Spain.

I'm 43, overweight and presently quite unfit. 5-10 km are quite fine for me--10 km normally takes me about 2 hours on the flat, without carrying anything. Anything longer or hilly is a chore at this point. So I have some challenges to address before I will feel physically ready to begin the camino.

I love what I read earlier in this thread that the camino begins now. This will help me prepare mentally.

Now I will do a bit of forum searching about summer walking conditions on the French route!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, im Sue-ann from Melbourne Australia, and im walking from SJPD to SdC in April and May 2014. Im so excited and have started packing already! i will turn 47 on the camino and am told i shouldnt aannounce this over there as whomever is having a birthday is meant to shout drinks!! i will be travelling alone and hope to meet some of you whilst i am there!!

Cheers Sue-ann :)

sue-ann said:
Hi, im Sue-ann from Melbourne Australia, and im walking from SJPD to SdC in April and May 2014. Im so excited and have started packing already! i will turn 47 on the camino and am told i shouldnt aannounce this over there as whomever is having a birthday is meant to shout drinks!! i will be travelling alone and hope to meet some of you whilst i am there!!

Cheers Sue-ann :)

Hello Sue-Ann, time will pass quickly :( , this happens when you get older , the one positive out of this is the wait till your Camino won't seem too long. Announce your birthday and celebrate it in style on the Camino, and if you must shout drinks don't panic they're a lot cheaper in Spain.

I too am from Melbourne, and preparing for my Camino in June 2013, it only seems like yesterday that I committed to this trip, when you are my age time passes even quicker:(

Enjoy your preparations and planning

Frank

Hello fellow Class mates!
I am planning on walking the Camino Frances with my best friend in May/June. We are 2 Aussie girls-I'm from the Gold Coast and my friend lives in Tasmania- who are separately training but collectively planning our wonderful adventure. Our men folk are our biggest supporters and will meet us at the end of our journey.
We are really looking forward in meeting other pilgrims from around the world.
To future greetings......Michelle :grin:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am planning Camino Portugues in May 2014. Anyone else planning this route? I am thinking of starting in Barcelos in order to avoid the road walking out of Porto. I have bad arthritis in my feet, but will not let it stop me. Pain overnight after a big walk and first thing every morning, but once warmed up I seem to cope. This is a dream coming true!

Larry here from Jacksonville, Fl. I'm planning on hiking the Camino Frances in May or June of 2014. Although 65 and in excellent physical shape, I have never hiked. I will begin training in August of 2013 after I complete RAGBRAI 41. Inbox me if you're doing the Camino in this timeframe and live close by.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hey,, another Aussie (chook) not chick planning Sept/Oct 2014 which suddenly does NOT seem an eternity away.......saving/planning/plotting and walking and walking some more..
cheers KatefromOz..

I will have just turned 58(how did that happen?!)at the start of September 2014 and plan to walk from mid September -October 2014.I'll be walking alone and fairly slowly, as I'm disabled, and would surely love to meet some of the fascinating people I've been reading about in these forums.Anybody out there who might like to join me for a km or few?I'll be coming from Ontario, Canada and am looking forward to matching up some names and faces. I've got my forum patch and have been slowly gathering up gear.Its taken me twenty years to save up for this wonderful pilgrimage, and finally seeing The Way gave me that extra boost to start finalising my plans.The biggest hurdle will be finding care for my 34 year old quadraplegic son, but I believe God has called me to walk, and will provide.In the meantime Ive got my pedometer and have a lot of training to do-something I am definately not used to. I had to get help just figuring out how to program the pedometer!

Dear SisterSimon.. It would be a pleasure to make your acquaintence on the path Laurie & I are also starting in Sept (Most likely the middle or maybe the last week). Coming from NorthWest Arkansas . She is 55 I'm 67 ( now) and we are training hard , making our list and checking it twice. Only 17 months to go ! .

Looking forward to meeting you .. let's keep in touch as we get closer and see how our schedules mesh ..

Joe

SisterSimon said:
I will have just turned 58(how did that happen?!)at the start of September 2014 and plan to walk from mid September -October 2014.I'll be walking alone and fairly slowly, as I'm disabled, and would surely love to meet some of the fascinating people I've been reading about in these forums.Anybody out there who might like to join me for a km or few?I'll be coming from Ontario, Canada and am looking forward to matching up some names and faces. I've got my forum patch and have been slowly gathering up gear.Its taken me twenty years to save up for this wonderful pilgrimage, and finally seeing The Way gave me that extra boost to start finalising my plans.The biggest hurdle will be finding care for my 34 year old quadraplegic son, but I believe God has called me to walk, and will provide.In the meantime Ive got my pedometer and have a lot of training to do-something I am definately not used to. I had to get help just figuring out how to program the pedometer!

That sounds great!I look forward to meeting you both-and love the idea of keeping in touch in the meantime. Thanks to you both! You can use my PM, if you prefer.
Sister Simon

Greetings from NY...I hope this posting makes the forum. I and several grade school classmates from LaGrange,IL have made a pact to walk the Camino Frances in early September,2014.No rock solid dates in place but looking forward to making that first step SJDP.JFK to Paris...to Bayonne...to SJDP.All of us will be 67 when we set out on this fantastic journey of body and soul.Hoping to hear from prospective September '14 fellow travelers. Buen Camino!

Well, it has been decided, my good wife will join me on a two-stage pilgrimage with the first stage taking part from the end of August 2014 when we leave Figeac, France on the Le Puy route (I walked solo from Le Puy to Figeac in September until we arrive in Logrono, Spain, a distance of about 630 km. The second stage will take part a year later at the same time of year for about the same distance to arrive in Santiago. We would begin this year but have already committed to attending a wedding in the fall.

We chose to start each stage on August 28th, the date of our anniversary. What a way to celebrate a marriage of more than 40 years than by walking a pilgrimage together.

Robert & Maureen
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
schaeff13 said:
Greetings from NY...I hope this posting makes the forum. I and several grade school classmates from LaGrange,IL have made a pact to walk the Camino Frances in early September,2014.No rock solid dates in place but looking forward to making that first step SJDP.JFK to Paris...to Bayonne...to SJDP.All of us will be 67 when we set out on this fantastic journey of body and soul.Hoping to hear from prospective September '14 fellow travelers. Buen Camino!

Wow! 67 of you or all 67 years old?

Little did I know that there would be such an interest in so many students at my college for taking a pilgrimage. During our Easter Chapel, the two of us that are set for making the trip in May of 2014 found three others that are just starting their planning for the trip. They are still not sure whether they will be able to get things all together by then, but they are really trying.

I made a point in a couple of my classes that there is such a lack of understanding concerning the need for Christians to do a pilgrimage. I have explained that it has been a predominately Catholic thing, however once I get done explaining that its about the journey, not the end point, they started to get it. For me, my pilgrimage started back in 1983 when I joined the Marine Corps and I haven't stopped traveling since. Having closed two chapters in my walk and nearing the end of the third chapter (college), I am finding myself seeking the voice of the Holy Spirit in guiding me to what God has for me next (beyond the Camino Frances). I only know that as long as I can take a breath, my Camino will never end.

God's grace and mercy to you all.
Buen Camino!

Re: Re: Class of 2014

tlamson64 said:
Having closed two chapters in my walk and nearing the end of the third chapter (college), I am finding myself seeking the voice of the Holy Spirit in guiding me to what God has for me next (beyond the Camino Frances). I only know that as long as I can take a breath, my Camino will never end.

God's grace and mercy to you all.
Buen Camino!

Allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to you during the trip is exactly what will make the pilgrimage more meaningful. I am going at the same time, May 2014, and I cant wait to see what God has planned for me. There is much prayer about this trip. Maybe I'll see you there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
while i WANT to go soon, i'm realizing that i realistically probably need a full year to get in proper shape... so i'm debating about the possibility of April & May 2014 (or Oct./Nov 2013--which is the absolute earliest i can go).

my biggest concern is not getting in shape, but staying that way over the cold winter months of South Dakota. ...so.... maybe 2014....

Hello Class of 2014,
My names John and I live in the UK.
I hope to start in SJPDP in the second week of May 2014.
I'm a 61 and discovered the Camino de Santiago about 2 years ago in a magazine article. I found this site some time after that. Since then, the more I've found out and the more I've thought about it the stronger the feeling I need to do this. Not yet fully sure why though. Perhaps time will tell.
Look forward to meeting you, after all we are nothing more than friends who have never met.

Buen Camino to all.

My wife and I received our trekking poles in the mail yesterday. We bought PacerPoles out of the UK based on such positive reviews for them here on the forum. We head out this afternoon to give them their first test. I know that it is still some time until we leave for our camino in August 2014, but we are both excited about all the opportunities between now and then to go hiking and testing out all of the things we will end up using on our shared camino.

If life hadn't already committed us to other things such as family reunions, weddings, anniversaries, etc. I know we would have changed our departure date for August of this year.

Why August? We got married in August, many decades ago. We decided to begin each of our two stages on our anniversary. August 2014 I will be 65 when we walk from Figeac to some stop after Saint Jean, Pied de Port. Our second stage beginning on our anniversary in 2015 when my wife turns 65 will take us all the way to Santiago, and perhaps even to Finisterre if our bodies and spirits will it.

Yes, we are excited.

Robert
A Canadian Pilgrim - http://rglongpre.ca/pilgrim/

orlaithballach said:
while i WANT to go soon, i'm realizing that i realistically probably need a full year to get in proper shape... so i'm debating about the possibility of April & May 2014 (or Oct./Nov 2013--which is the absolute earliest i can go).

my biggest concern is not getting in shape, but staying that way over the cold winter months of South Dakota. ...so.... maybe 2014....

If you are maintaining a reasonable level of fitness, building up distance can be done at about 2km a week. If you are currently capable of walking 10km, and think you need to be able to walk 30km (eg SJPP to Roncesvalles) then about 10 weeks preparation would achieve that. Starting three months out would well achieve that. Check http://www.aussiewalk.com.au/training.htm as an example - I am sure there are other sites with similar patterns.

What I personally find more difficult is getting my weight down to a reasonable level before a major walk, and that often needs much longer. I have to admit that I have never quite made it to my target weight before a pilgrimage, and depending upon my consumption of certain 'food' products, sometimes don't make it before the end.

Regards

I agree dougfitz, that the most difficult part is to achieve the desired weight by the time to walk arrives. I have just achieved this but wonder, seriously, if I can maintain this as BBQ season approaches.

Good luck, orlaithballach, on your training with hopes that the gradual approach allows the training to become more than training but a lifestyle activity choice. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I hope to be a Class of 2014 and 2015!! My husband leaves from SJPP on May 25 and will be heading to Burgos (or further on down the path). I will be joining him in 2014 for Burgos to Leon (or further on down the path) and in 2015 we'll do the 3rd portion into Santiago de Compostela for our 60th trip around the sun celebration!!! Last year (March 2012) my husband hiked the Pennine Way in Great Britain and is hooked!!

I've been walking a 10K daily with the pup (OK, a giant Great Dane) and a couple times a week I hike our local bald hill - 850ft elevation gain in 2.2 miles for a 4.4 mile round trip. We live in the desert so I need to start my trips earlier in the morning now. It was 80F+ degrees on our return loop today and it was before 11 am. I can hike in the heat but don't want to subject the pup to it.

With a year to go for training I plan on working up to 25k daily and uping the hill work. At what point should I be starting to add weight to training? I have a 30L backpack, not necessarily the one I'd be using for the Camino, but at this point can load it up for weight training.

¡Hola!
Mary here from Australia.
What a terrific forum Ivar - I am already enjoying it and learning so much - thank you!
I plan to start my Camino at Montserrat, but then perhaps will go back into France and over to SJPP as I would love to walk the Camino Frances. I am still exploring how/where to go from Montserrat, and will be searching forums and postings for the experience of other pilgrims.
I was also planning to start in early February 2014, but maybe mid-March might be better? Would appreciate any advice. I don't mind cold weather and I'm happy in snow and wind - but it looks to me like much of the accommodation will be closed during the winter months - is that correct?
All best wishes!

Hi Mary
We walked in Jan/Feb to fit in with Aussie holiday time, but it was great, fantastic, altho a different experience completely from a summer camino. We only met about 6 pilgrims alomg the way. And it was cold and the days were short. The albergues were almost all closed so we had to stay in pensions at about 35 euros or so a night but we never had any trouble finding a place and we never booked ahead. We did see some snow markers that showed the snow gets deep sometimes, we only had a bit of snow here and there. You need to be prepared with good clothing - we spent on that in order to have light and warm (mine was mainly ultra-fine merino, my husband's was hi-tech). Take an Akubra hat if you are going then - perfect in any weather. Just add a polar fleece headband if it is really freezing.

mary_mh said:
.... I am still exploring how/where to go from Montserrat, and will be searching forums and postings for the experience of other pilgrims.

mary_mh,

Welcome to the Forum!

For information regarding walking from Montserrat be sure to check the Forum topic Other Routes in Spain > Cami Catalan - Cami St Jaume.

Specifically these two Forum threads are most helpful >>
cami-catalan-cami-st-jaume/topic12122.html
and
cami-catalan-cami-st-jaume/topic8132.html

Also see >>
el-camino-frances/topic3787.html

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Magnara said:
Hi Mary
We walked in Jan/Feb to fit in with Aussie holiday time, but it was great, fantastic, altho a different experience completely from a summer camino. We only met about 6 pilgrims alomg the way. And it was cold and the days were short. The albergues were almost all closed so we had to stay in pensions at about 35 euros or so a night but we never had any trouble finding a place and we never booked ahead. We did see some snow markers that showed the snow gets deep sometimes, we only had a bit of snow here and there. You need to be prepared with good clothing - we spent on that in order to have light and warm (mine was mainly ultra-fine merino, my husband's was hi-tech). Take an Akubra hat if you are going then - perfect in any weather. Just add a polar fleece headband if it is really freezing.
Hi Magnara,
Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful. I think I might delay till mid-late March as I would love to meet more pilgrims along the way and to stay in alberques. I can be flexible about times, which is fortunate. I hope to travel for quite a while so I'll need to keep costs down too. Thanks for the tips about clothing, also helpful. I've invested in a very light weight, efficient sleeping bag - it's just done great service in Nepal where it was put through its paces. I do have merino gear, but I'll look at the light weight range -great advice. I see so many posts about keeping weight down, so it's clear I'll have to really pay attention to that. Best wishes, Mary

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Right then, that's my planning for May/June officially started. First considerations........... Getting to StJPP from Bristol (UK) area.

First serious option of walking rejected, not enough time :cry: Maybe next time.

Next consideration is Eurostar train to Paris from London then hop on a local service to Bayonne from Gare Montparnesse. Contacted Eurostar who say it's ok to take walking poles on board (how sensible of them) :D

Have to say, taking these first planning steps (no pun intended) is much easier than I feared thanks to the great information on this forum. I've already found most of what I need to consider flying, (in a plane of course - I haven't done my Camino yet).

I'm positively wriggling and jiggling in excitement thinking about next year. For the first time in my life I am truly impatient.

Marina82 said:
Hello all. :) I am planning on embarking on my camino (alone) in April 2014 - final dates will depend on which route I ultimately choose, but I've been focusing most of my research on the Camino Frances (per the advice on this forum)!
Hi Marina,
As my plans firm up it is likely I will be travelling on the Camino Frances late March/early April 2014. I too am travelling alone and while there is great value and pleasure in solitude, part of the experience is also meeting other pilgrims - hopefully we will meet up somewhere in our journeys!! I am actually starting in Montserrat and staying there for a little while before making my way over to SJPDP, probably by train back into France - but planning for march/April at SJPDP.
Best wishes for your preparations,
Mary

This will be my first experience of hiking, let alone walking the Camino! I've walked four NYC Marathons, but that was about 20 years ago, so I really have to get into shape for this pilgrimage. I'll be 68 when I make the trip. My sister, niece and I plan to go the end of April to the first couple of weeks in May. We're doing only about 62 - 100 miles. I've been reading books about travelling the Camino, and viewing the stories on YouTube. I'm delighted to have found this forum. Thank you! Mary Jo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Emjay said:
This will be my first experience of hiking, let alone walking the Camino! I've walked four NYC Marathons, but that was about 20 years ago, so I really have to get into shape for this pilgrimage. I'll be 68 when I make the trip. My sister, niece and I plan to go the end of April to the first couple of weeks in May. We're doing only about 62 - 100 miles. I've been reading books about travelling the Camino, and viewing the stories on YouTube. I'm delighted to have found this forum. Thank you! Mary Jo
Hi Emjay,

I hope that your Camino will be all that you want it to be. If you don't press the pace in order to race to Santiago, you should have little or no trouble walking 100 miles (160 km). Enjoy practicing with walks between now and then simply for the sheer joy of walking.

Buen Camino

JohnMcM said:
Right then, that's my planning for May/June officially started. First considerations........... Getting to StJPP from Bristol (UK) area.

First serious option of walking rejected, not enough time :cry: Maybe next time.

I'm positively wriggling and jiggling in excitement thinking about next year. For the first time in my life I am truly impatient.
Hi John,

I will be walking later in the year than you, but like you, I am finding myself very impatient. By the way, walking to SJPP from Bristol would be a lot easier than walking from my home in Canada. :)

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I'm Dave from Tulsa Oklahoma, USA. My wife Christi & I are in training for our trek in June 2014 from Leon to SdC. Joe from Springdale - we're neighbors. I work for Arvest! We are so pumped up about the hike. Look forward to following posts.

HI Neighbor! ..I'm living on Tulsa time too :) . Pumped express's it perfectly Dave , We are heading over in Sept 14' for hopefully cooler temps . <fingers crossed>. Keep posting please so Laurie & I can live through your experiences and enjoy your trek before we start ours . :p

FYI ,,, I have garnered for my short list from reading the great posts here the following

1. Pack light
2. Take your time

That's the on the marquee for our Pilgrimage.. good to know for sure ,

johnsondav said:
Hi, I'm Dave from Tulsa Oklahoma, USA. My wife Christi & I are in training for our trek in June 2014 from Leon to SdC. Joe from Springdale - we're neighbors. I work for Arvest! We are so pumped up about the hike. Look forward to following posts.

I am planing to be of the class of 2014 and 2015. Due to work I can only get about 3 weeks at any one time but do have some freedom of when those weeks are. So, In Sept of 2014 I plan to do SJPdP to Leon and in June of 2015 I hope to take my son with me (he will be 12 then) to do Leon to Muxia and/or Finisterre.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I intend to join the class of 2014.

I am using this year to get myself prepared, by walking in the UK to make sure I have the right gear and the right stuff in my legs and between my ears.

I intend to enjoy the preparation for the Norte and welcome any insights and suggestions from the camino community

Dax

Hello everyone, I guess I'm now in the class of 2014. (Unless something changes, which... it probably will!)

I'm planning on flying to Paris on December 30th and staying for New Years Eve! I'll start walking on January 2nd of 2014, after a day to recover! Here's the crazy part, I might actually start walking from Paris, following the Tours route and then walking the Camino Frances to Santiago and then on to Finisterre. I'm not 100% committed to walking the Tours route, but we'll see!

Hi Everyone,

I'm so excited to find this forum! I'm a psychologist and yoga teacher and plan on walking the Camino in September-October 2014 as a life transition (I'll be retiring next year from my work as a school psychologist at 55) and as a fundraiser for my nonprofit (http://www.karmayogaproject.org). I work with older orphans in Ethiopia twice a year and we provide yoga as therapy to kids in need in Arizona as well.

I'm in the research phase and reading lots of books on the Camino. I hate wearing shoes...I AM a yoga girl and am used to wearing shoes designed to be worn barefoot (Jambu). I just bought a pair of Keene H2's and tried them on a short walk tonight. My other shoes are lighter and I love to hike/walk in them, but I'm worried that they won't be enough. However, I also don't want to wear something heavy...my feet like to be free!

I'll be on walking the Camino on my own, but m looking forward to meeting those of you who may be walking early fall of next year.

Buen Camino,

Donna

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Time to sign up to the class!
Early May I'll be taking my two youngest boys (who will be 11 and 13) from Pamplona to Bayonne (yes, we're going to try the Camino Bazantes backwards with a map), then we'll take the train to Saint Jean and walk from there back to Pamplona. Hubby and two youngest daughters (8 and 10) will join us there and we'll walk together for three weeks. Hubby will return home to work and I'll go on with the others to Leon, then we'll zip up the del Salvador, down the Primitivo and back onto the Frances at Melide....on to Santiago and beyond if there is time. We walked Astorga to Santiago last year so know a little bit what to expect. We hope to clock up 1,000km and will be doing it as a fundraising walk for charity: water. We're allowing plenty of time (ten weeks) so we can go slowly if we need to - and if we don't, we can always continue out to the coast or do some other section. Returning early July. Hope to meet some of you.

Hi Donna ... Hey! a psychologist ?.. Laurie( 55 also) & I will hopefully bump into you , she thinks I need a psycologist for doing this trek . she's coming along to protect me from myself . Started yoga a couple weeks ago and these 67 yr old bones are getting a healthy stretch . Nice website you have and a noble endeavor ... very very impressive.

Buen Camino,

Joe

Yogini13 said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm so excited to find this forum! I'm a psychologist and yoga teacher and plan on walking the Camino in September-October 2014 as a life transition (I'll be retiring next year from my work as a school psychologist at 55) and as a fundraiser for my nonprofit (http://www.karmayogaproject.org). I work with older orphans in Ethiopia twice a year and we provide yoga as therapy to kids in need in Arizona as well.

I'm in the research phase and reading lots of books on the Camino. I hate wearing shoes...I AM a yoga girl and am used to wearing shoes designed to be worn barefoot (Jambu). I just bought a pair of Keene H2's and tried them on a short walk tonight. My other shoes are lighter and I love to hike/walk in them, but I'm worried that they won't be enough. However, I also don't want to wear something heavy...my feet like to be free!

I'll be on walking the Camino on my own, but m looking forward to meeting those of you who may be walking early fall of next year.

Buen Camino,

Donna

Hi
I am planning for May June 2014 and will get myself in shape by taking the Lyke Wake Walk in North Yorkshire and I am building up to that by choosing local walks in Northamptonshire.

I am considering making my own way on the Camino rather than a "package" but I am concerned about the prospect of "no room at the inn" - any insights will be appreciated

Dax

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Daxzentzu said:
Hi

I am considering making my own way on the Camino rather than a "package" but I am concerned about the prospect of "no room at the inn" - any insights will be appreciated

Dax

I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum is considering a package. Making your own way is most of the fun.

Thx for the comment. As a newbie I am attempting to get the broad picture. My instinct is to let it just happen.

Hi there,
Fellow Wannabe Caminoists. First time in this Forum. Looks very good, helpful and instructive. I am from Melbourne, Australia and my wife and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances in May 2014. At this stage I might be more in a support role but I will be there. In the meantime, may I wish my friend VincentL 'Buen Camino' - he leaves Melbourne for the Camino on Monday. We will be thinking of you. Vincent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
DeadFred said:
Hi Donna ... Hey! a psychologist ?.. Laurie( 55 also) & I will hopefully bump into you , she thinks I need a psycologist for doing this trek . she's coming along to protect me from myself . Started yoga a couple weeks ago and these 67 yr old bones are getting a healthy stretch . Nice website you have and a noble endeavor ... very very impressive.

Buen Camino,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your kind comments...when you're my age, you have to make things clear...I'm still 53...will be 55 when I walk the Camino ;-) Heading to REI...they're having a sale so going to look for my Camino backpack!

Have a great weekend everyone,

Donna

Hi Everyone,

Buen Camino,

Donna

I am planning, hoping, praying that I will be able to do a three or at least two month period on various camino routes during summer of 2014, I will be a 70y old female walking on my own. I have not decided on the routes yet.

Hi all,
I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances from SJPDP through to SDC in April/May 2014 also. It seems a popular time of the year, for me it's so I miss the heat, we have enough here in Perth, Western Australia.
I will be walking alone, or should I say going on my own and listening to the amount of you that are travelling solo it gives me great encouragement. My heart races when I'm contemplating my journey I'm so excited. I love the preparation of it all and as for this forum, just an absolute treasure of info....even hearing of people going at the same time makes it so much more exciting.
Thanks to everyone for the amazing support, I'm learning something everyday from here.
Cheers
Alex

Wow! That's ambitious.
My longest walk was the Via de la Plata. 1000 kilometres in 40 days. I was very happy to arrive in Santiago and glad I had done the walk, but also pleased to be finished.

The usual routine for extended walks is to pick up the trail further back. Some people start at Cantebury Cathedral in England, others from a couple points in France. The farther back you start, the more solitary the experience is, and less infrastructure for pilgrims.

Enjoy your dreaming and preparations.
Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

The distance from Le Puy-en-Velay to Santiago is over 1400 km, it is beautiful, and the infrastructure is good all the way. I've walked it all in sections but image it would be very satisfying to complete in one journey.
Enjoy your planning.

Hello,
My name is Jane and I live in Seattle, WA most of the year, but live in Uganda during the fall months. I'm a midwife and writer, seeker and student of this great life. I will be walking from Pamplona to Compostela in May of 2014. Hopefully my partner will be joining me in Leon. I have travelled extensively, have never attempted anything like this before. Bring it! ::spiritual fist pump::

Next paycheck I will be buying some hiking shoes and start the preparation. I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you on the Camino!

Hello fellow 2014 classmates,

Renata from London here. I had no clue about the Camino de Santiago until a month ago my brother told me that he is going to cycle it next year. Ever since he said that, I was trying to find a way how to do it as well. To be honest, I am overweight and not fit at all, so cycling the route was totally out of question. Hence I decided to walk it (on my own). At the moment I am planning to start around 4th May at SJPP and make my way to Santiago. I am in no particular rush as I have approximately 6 floating days 'just in case'. If everything works out then I will meet my brother in Santiago (he will start about two and half weeks after me) and then make our way to Muxia and Finsterra. If not, then Santiago it is ;)

At the moment I am starting to persuade my feet to cash the cheques that my mouth is writing and started my training walks. Slowly but surely is the motto at the moment!

Hope to meet some of you along the route.

Ren x

We are looking at the possibilities of the Camino del Mar from Ribadeo to Xubia (Naron), where it joins the Camino Inglés. Then on the Inglés from Xubia to Santiago.

Thanks skilsaw and kanga, all your views will help me to plan my camino, one has to tap in on the wealth of experience we find on this forum, wonderful!! I am now going to start reading up about the route starting from Le Puy, thanks kanga!

€46,-
Sorrel here in British Columbia planning for 2014 from SJPP. I have backpacked in my youth, though that was quite a few years ago and have not done this type of long-distance walking. Have spent time in France, but not Spain. Ever since deciding upon this pilgrimage, I have stumbled across former pilgrims with great tips, best seems to be this forum. So I'm reading and heeding all your wisdom. First assignment ~ practice Spanish - and the adventure begins ~

Sorrel said:
Sorrel here in British Columbia planning for 2014 from SJPP. I have backpacked in my youth, though that was quite a few years ago and have not done this type of long-distance walking. Have spent time in France, but not Spain. Ever since deciding upon this pilgrimage, I have stumbled across former pilgrims with great tips, best seems to be this forum. So I'm reading and heeding all your wisdom. First assignment ~ practice Spanish - and the adventure begins ~

Hi Sorrel, part of the fun is in the planning. Practicing Spanish is good. It's amazing how many people you run into who have actually done the route themselves. Then again, many more who cannot understand why you are doing it, lolol.

Good luck and perhaps we will see you along the road sometime :)

Hi to all my walker compatriots,

If I seem a bit familiar it is because I'd planned on walking the part of the Camino Frances this 2013. However, life, finances and other interests got in the way and it just didn't seem to be the right time. SO......

Hi,
I'm now almost 63 and will be 64 when I walk in late September to early October 2014. Kind of scary since I'm not used to walking long distances or toting my belongings on my back. :? I never have gotten the hang of packing light, although I'm getting better. :roll: I will most likely be walking on my own.

Since posting on the forum last I've lost 41lbs, I have about 20 more to get to My goal. :) I've gone from exercising not at all to exercising 4-5X per week and walking at least a little bit. I used to get winded just walking to my car but now walk a mile+ with no problems. I think with the extra training walks I should be at my weight goal or less by next September :D

I will only have about 15-17 days to walk (factoring in a rest day after my arrival, a couple rest days during the walk and a couple after. So I'm not sure where I will wind up starting. Start from SJPP and get as far a I get? :?: And leave to rest for another time. Or start somewhere further along so that I can end in Santiago de Compostela? :?: Obsessive me doesn't want to miss out on any of it :?

As to why I want to do this. 1) it is way out of my comfort zone. 2) as a reward for losing the weight and getting more fit. 3) as a goal or challenge to myself physically and mentally. 4) as a spiritual journey. Hopefully I will meet some like minded folks along the way. 5) as a way to see Spain from a perspective that I wouldn't get as a tourist. 6) as a way to expand on the little bit of Spanish I know and get more comfortable using it.

I look forward to meeting all of you here on the forum and maybe a few of you on the road to Santiago

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
JohnMcM said:
With a bit of luck only 247 more sleeps!

Great idea - 404 sleeps until day one of "our" walk begins at SJPP (August 28th, 2014 - our 43rd anniversary).

450 days for us .. 35th wedding anniversay .

Hello!

It's a pleasure to join all of you on this forum. My wife and I are planning to walk the Camino de Frances in 2014, probably in October. We are still working out the logistics, but very excited by the idea. This is something we have wanted to do for many years. I am already grateful for the good discussions on these forums, and look forward to learning more from all of you.

Best regards,

Brett (Takoma Park, Maryland, USA)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
452 sleeps before I leave home for the Camino. I now think I will plan on starting in SJPP and just walk as far as I can before I have to leave for home.

Brettr- welcome to the forum and the Class of 2014. I will be walking late September in to October 2014. My partners family is from Silver Spring and I lived in Rockville many moons ago. I'll be going very slowly so maybe you'll catch up with me at some point.

Thank you, Karen! It would be great if we happen to meet on the Camino. We're still trying to figure out the logistics -- we probably have 3-4 weeks total, and current thinking is that we'll start in Burgos. So depending on how far you get, we might almost be like your relay team :D

Best regards,
Brett

Walking at my snails pace I'm thinking that Burgos might be as far as I get. So maybe I can hand off the torch to you and your wife. :D

WOW! So many wonderful people planning on pilgrimmage!! How cool!

I'm planning on Fall of 2014 with my husband. We're going to take a year away from our careers to truly live. We both work high pressure corporate jobs in NYC, so we decided to plan our mid-life crisis vis-a-vis: El Camino de Santiago!!

Because we will have so much time off, we may actually start in Le Puy, France and hook up with the Camino. Does anyone have expirience with the Le Puy Camino?

Can't wait...Looking forward to talking with you all.

~Rachel

Welcome Rachel!
Taking a year off sounds lovely. I'm trying to find away I can either retire earlier than I've planned or take some leave without pay and still keep my head above water financially. I would like to walk from SJPP through to Santiago but right now I don't think I will have the time.
Next fall will be my first experience with any of the Caminos so I don't know about the Le Puy route. Your best bet for advice from pilgrims that have walked this route would probably be in the Le Puy section of this forum under Routes in France.

Have fun planning your Camino.

HI Guys,
My name is Marco Jimenez. I will be Producing a documentary of a Camino for a man in a wheel chair next Summer. I really don't know where to start, literally and figuratively. We will be traveling 6 people from San Diego to Spain, but I don't know where to fly into or which hotels/pasda's along the path to contact in advance. If you guys could shed any light on these quandaries, it would be greatly appreciated!

Kindest regards,
Marco

ps. I'm new to this group, but and quickly falling in love with the idea of this adventure!

Hello Marco,

At the top of this page you will find a Search Forum link.
Try clicking on that then entering a couple of words to search on.
I am sure you will find many answers and suggestions for the questions you ask.
The people who use this forum are so helpful and have so much knowledge to share about the Camino that I will be surprised that you don't find the help you seek.

Buen Camino

Greetings ! I am from Illinois in the USA. My father, my brother, and I plan to walk the Camino Frances staring from Sarria in October of 2014. My current preparation includes improving my rusty Spanish, breaking in my boots, and refining my packing list.

Cheera

Welcome Paladin and family! I know you are looking forward to doing the Camino next October. I also start mine at the end of September but I will start from St Jean Pied du Port and walk as far as I am able in the time I will have, most likely to Burgos. I will have to go back to finish on another trip.
Have fun planning your Camino and breaking in those boots.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Marcorporation said:
HI Guys,
My name is Marco Jimenez. I will be Producing a documentary of a Camino for a man in a wheel chair next Summer. I really don't know where to start, literally and figuratively. We will be traveling 6 people from San Diego to Spain, but I don't know where to fly into or which hotels/pasda's along the path to contact in advance. If you guys could shed any light on these quandaries, it would be greatly appreciated!

Kindest regards,
Marco

ps. I'm new to this group, but and quickly falling in love with the idea of this adventure!

Marco,

Welcome to the Forum! You will find much helpful information here as you plan your future trip.

I gather from your post that you will be filming a pilgrim in a wheelchair as he progresses on his own camino. Do you know where he plans to begin?
Will he be following the more famous Camino Frances ? Be sure to read the recent account of a group of disabled pilgrims following the CF earlier this summer. They were led by Sillydoll/Amawalker a fellow Forum member; for her account of this special journey filled with caritas and hope see >> http://amawalker.blogspot.fr/2013/06/ca ... -2013.html

There is no official starting point for the CF but many pilgrims start at or near the French/Spanish border in Saint Jean Pied de Port, France or Roncevalles, Spain. Many Americans either fly to Madrid or Paris and then train/bus to their starting point. For fellow Forum members tips on getting to the camino see this Forum topic >> traveling-to-from-the-camino/

Anyone can follow the camino; along the way there is both tourist accommodation and special pilgrim housing or albergues which are generally priced at 8 or 10 euros a night for a bunk bed in a mixed dorm. In order to stay in these pilgrim albergues you must have a Pilgrim Passport or Credential. Stamped each night it provides proof of your trip when you arrive at Santiago. Most arriving pilgrims then apply for a Compostella at the Pilgrims office. For all of us this is always a most emotional experience. For more information see
>> http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/

I have walked the Camino Frances 8 times since 2004 from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and on to Finisterre. Usually this takes me 55 days. Because of my age (74) I average only 20km a day. Perhaps you would find my blog Camino Gazetteer at http://mermore.blogspot.com/ useful for your planning. This includes a general history and overview of the camino, descriptions of 75 locations where I halted and blogged walking in autumn and winter, a Kit list, walking tips and many personal memories.

Good luck with your plans!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hola. My husband and I are from Australia and planning to walk the Camino Frances from late April through May 2014 starting in SJPdP. I heard about the Camino some years back and it sounded like an amazing adventure, and an incredible and special experience. I never dreamed at the time that we may one day be planning to do our own Camino. I'm currently reading everything I can lay my hands on, and have found this forum absolutely invaluable, so thank you all so much for the vast amounts of advice and information available here. I'm also learning some Spanish, which is a lot of fun. We still need to start gathering together the gear we are going to need, and there is endless information here to help with that. We haven't yet started a routine of regular walking, and that is something we need to get on to. I must confess to a degree of anxiety about crowds, bed bugs and blisters and other such nasties that I've read about here, and hope that all will be well for us. And we are still debating many things like whether to bring walking poles, sleeping mats etc etc, and wondering if we will actually make it... we've never actually done anything like this before and it feels like a really big thing to do, but important. I do feel like all the planning and dreaming is the start of the journey that will be our Camino.
Buen Camino, Helen.

Hi everyone, my name is Celia, I am Canadian. My husband Enzo and I are currently training to do the Camino de Santiago via the Portuguese way starting from Porto in May 2014. I am of Portuguese decent, my parents are from Terceira, Azores and it has been my dream to go to mainland Portugal. I am amazed at how many people have heard of the Camino de Santiago. I watched the movie "The Way" directed by Emilio Estivez portraying the camino journey and I knew this was the way I wanted to see Portugal. I am hoping also to take a day trip to Fatima but haven't decided whether I will go there before or after I do the camino. We only have two weeks so it might not be possible. Has anyone gone to Fatima while on the Camino? Buen Camino, Celia

Oh no! I miss-counted. I've still got 270 more sleeps :cry:
Oh well, on the bright side that gives me more time to train and learn from the wonderful people on this forum.
Maybe if I count again tomorrow it'll be less :roll:

JohnMcM said:
Oh well, on the bright side that gives me more time to train and learn from the wonderful people on this forum.

Wait two days, then you'll be positively delighted! :D

Laliibeans said:
JohnMcM said:

Wait two days, then you'll be positively delighted! :D

Couldn't wait that long Lalibeans.....................................269 more sleeps.

Heya,

Im Jess.

My dad walked the Northern Route in September 2006, and has since then also done another pilgrimage up to Lindisfarne from our home in Surrey. (He did this most recent one in order to raise awareness and funds for our church, and was interviewed along the way by the BBC several times, known as the 'Grey Pilgrim'. )

I am so proud of him, and ever since I read his blog I've felt called to follow in his footsteps and walk the Camino. However, I'm planning to do the Camino Frances, as it's better known.

Ideally, I'd leave as soon as I can, I'm so desperate to get away from life right now. But due to being a grown up now, there are demands on my time that I can't deny. So, as soon as my final teacher training placement is finished in May, I'll celebrate my boyfriends birthday and then set off on my own Camino, in 2014.

Despite working towards a career and having a loving group of friends and family, it's the thought of the Camino that gives me purpose - or that's how I feel. I'm so excited, I just can't wait - its all I think about.

Ive been reading this forum for a couple of weeks before signing up, and found a wealth off helpful information and friendly people. I can't wait to start my journey, and hope I meet some of you along the Way.

Celia, I rented a car in lisboa and drove to Fatima stayed for a night then onto Braga while the festival of Sao Joao was going on. Portugal is easy to drive. I turned the car in atporto airport, took a bus up to Valenca to begin the walk. I highly recommend see Bom Jesus church in braga as well as Se Cathedral.... check it out online. Fatima was, for me, very touristy in the town surrou ndi g the site. The site itself is very modern looking. I was expecting old school, got modern. Was not a fan. The basilica was lovely.

Bom Jesus

You can see more at http://www.michelesway.weebly.com Bom caminho
Sent from my GT-P3113 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1374284676190.jpg
    1374284676190.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 401
  • 1374284730433.jpg
    1374284730433.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 402
celiatucci said:
Has anyone gone to Fatima while on the Camino? Buen Camino, Celia
Hi Celia!
I completed the southern section of the Portuguese camino last month [Lisbon to Porto]. I walked Porto to SdC in 2011.
Yes, I visited Fatima on my journey. It was a day trip from a town on the camino, but I didn't stay a whole day there. Check out my web site for the Diary and photos. All photos of Fatima are included in the set for "Days 8 to 10" on the Pilgrimage III page -
http://www.calig.co.uk/pilgrimage_iii.htm
May your camino be a highlight in your life: I have a sneaking suspicion it will be!
Buen camino!

€149,-
Hi, I walked the Frances April May of this year and I am a senior. I walked through snow and rain. Most days were very pleasant. I hate the heat thus an April start turned out to be fantastic for me.
Yep and i am crazy too as I have been bitten by the Camino bug and next year commencing in April I will walk the 1000km of the Via de la Plata.

It does not matter when you walk so long as you plan well and have faith in your own ability. Happy planning and travel well.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.