• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
" You don`t choose a life , You live it "
It was hearing this quote from the film The Way that i have decided to walk the Camino starting from sjpdp , and i also feel the need for some spiritual enlightenment , not in necessarily a religious way but just to break the shackles of an overburdened work life.
I want to do the trip off my own back as opposed to tour operated and am interested in any advice possible from essential kit list to accommodation along the way.

Hello!

I am Lee aka Freespirite from Sydney, Australia. I am 58 years of age, pretty fit for my age. Planning to do the Camino walk, starting from Seville with a friend I recently met. My travel companion is planning on completing the 800 kms walk in two months but I felt daunted by the challenge and will at this stage commit to the first 100 kms.

We hope to start off in mid-April 2014 and my completion date is when I get to complete it, I guess. I know I am not terribly ambitious but there you go. :)

Looking forward to reading about walks done by other pilgrims.

Cheers

Lee

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sign me up for the class! I'm walking with my dad in March and April 2014. I think about it pretty much all the time!

Greeting to Class of 2014!

I've been interested in the Camino for ages, and am finally able to fully commit to it.
A big thanks to all of you who contribute to this forum - I'm still in the early stages of planning, and it's been so helpful!
I'm also signing up for the Class of 2014 :D

Best wishes to all!

I hope to start my Camino in late April/early May 2014. I do have a question though; I will be arriving in Paris, France from Canada and continuing on to SJPDP. I will finish my Camino in Finisterre. Here's my problem. I will be continuing onwards to Santander where I will catch a ferry to Portsmouth, England then onwards by rail to Liverpool were I will stay for three weeks. My question is; How do I get my clothes, (other than those I am using on the Camino,) from Paris/SJPDP to Finisterre and, who/what would receive them and how much will it cost to send and store them? One more thing, I will be in my 74th., year of life when I start my Camino. Any advice would be appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It has been decided that we will leave Saint Jean Pied de Port on August 28th, 2014. Why that date? Well, it will be our 43rd wedding anniversary, one month after I turn 65. :)

Hello fellow pilgrims,

It's official and therefore, I'm happy to introduce myself to the class of 2014! :D I just had my request for a 4 weeks off approved by my very understanding and supportive boss. So, now I really start making serious plans to leave on October 4, 2014 and will look forward to meeting those of you thinking of leaving in October.

My loving husband is also a great cheerleader of mine and understands my desire to do this one alone. Besides, this is not his cup of tea - he is more of the "rabbit" kind of person and loves completing marathons as well as training for an eventual Ironman. I, on the other hand, are more of the "tortoise" variety, who loves to hike and take time and smell the flowers. I may not be fast, but I will get there. :wink:

My packing list is somewhat sorted (at less than 6kg pack weight - 7kg skin out, not including water/food, I think this is pretty good) and I'm starting my Spanish lessons in a month.

I have a total of 31 days but will be travelling from Ontario, Canada and therefore will have to use 4 days to travel on either end of the pilgrimage. That leaves me 27 walking days... hum... not quite enough for the full SJPP to Santiago and I would love to go all the way to Finisterre. See, I'm originally from New Brunswick, Canada and being a maritimer, the ocean has always felt like home to me. I think ending this momentous journey at the "end of the world" would be amazing.

So, minus 3 days so I can walk to Finisterre = 24 walking days. Now as a fairly fit 40 year old (I've done several 10k races, bike 30kms to/from work regularly and hike/snowshoe almost every other weekend), I think I can easily walk 25km per day and still have time to relax and enjoy the journey. I would also like a full day in Santiago and perhaps I should plan for a day of rest, just in case... so that's 22 walking days for a total of 550kms'ish.

Since I started dreaming of making this journey a reality, I somehow always thought I would leave from SJPP and cross the Pyrenees. Therefore, I have a decision to make. Start in SJPP, cross over the mountains then skip further or simply start 550km from SDC - like perhaps Burgos. :? Thoughts?

I have found the participants of the forum to be very generous with their insights, tips, ideas and recommendations, and are therefore looking for some advise regarding my limited time vs. distance. Eventually, I will be retired and able to take more time but for now... :wink:

Looking forward to meeting some of you on our "Way" - buen camino! :D

Renee

Andrea from the Philippines - Hello Class of 2014

I'll be 57 this year and I plan to begin the Camino with my husband (turns 61 this year) and 25 year old daughter in SJPDP in the last week of April, 2014. An older daughter described this plan as another of Mom's crazy ideas. A good thing she admitted that Mom is the kind of makes her crazy ideas come true.

The Camino began forme when I read Joyce Rupp's book "Walk in a Relaxed Manner," maybe 3 years ago. The idea of such a long walk through Spain was mind-boggling but I have always dreamed of taking off for at least a month to see parts of Europe by foot or by bicycle. I mentioned the Camino to my husband as something I would love to do, finances permitting.

Last year, 3 friends who don't strike me as particularly fit or rugged, walked the last 100 kilometers of the Camino so they could qualify for a compostela. This told me that we don't have to go for a month if we can't afford a month. Last April, I downloaded for future reading, a free Kindle book on preparing for the Camino. This July, I began daily walks and listening to a self-development audio series that required me to think about what I want to do. Immediately, I knew that the one thing I want to do at this time of my life is to walk the Camino from the SJPDP in the French Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela and beyond.

Now I'm reading everything that I can on the Camino and I've watched "The Way" 3 times, once by myself, the second with my husband, and the 3rd with the daughter I hope can come with us. God willing, we'll be meeting classmates of the class of 2014 along the road. Buen Camino especially to the Filipinos who are part of the class!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wasn't thinking of beginning in SJPP because I don't fancy wintry weather and the daughter I wish to come with me has to be back by the first week of June. So I'm looking at about a month, 35 days at the most. But I've read about how the trek from SJPP to Roncesvalles is among the most beautiful and challenging parts of the Camino. Why miss all this beauty because you only have 23 days for walking? I think we'll end up dividing the Camino into two or three segments totalling 500 kilometers we want to walk, then taking a bus or train to bridge the distances that we don't have time to walk.

SherreeLynn said:
As I read these posts I can see the magic of the Camino has already started.

My partner and I plan to start walking the Camino Frances in mid-April 2014 just after my retirement. I want an opportunity to "reset" and reflect on what will be the next phase of my life. My partner is looking at this as an opportunity for us to reconnect as a couple as we begin this phase (she has been retired for 7 years).

What is amazing is that it has already given us focus. I am 56 and she is 62 and we have never been particularly active. Having a goal has inspired us. We are looking for opportunities to walk (our goal this summer is 15 km comfortably - we will add packs next summer) and exploring exercise programs to maintain our fitness over the winter (we are Canadian). We're going to try yoga first and then aquafitness. And then maybe both. And we'll take Spanish lessons this winter as well.

So, even if for some reason we can't do it, the Camino will still have had a positive impact on our lives.

Yes! I feel the same. Ever since I decided to walk El Camino, things in my life have started to orient themselves toward it. I know that I am already a pilgrim -- although I won't start walking until May 2014.

I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port to Sanitago de Compostela this year, from 24 April to 29 May. Perhaps I met some of you. If I did perhaps you would re-introduce yourself to me so we can re-connect. I met dozens of wonderful, interesting people form all over the world, and provided my contact information to several. However, there are many people who, in retrospect, I should have obtained contact information for - perfect hindsight.

During this, my first Camino, I had serious problems with my feet (infected heel calluses) that eventually required a minor operation in a podiatrist's office in Brugos. Unfortunately, accommodating my feet compelled me to use ALSA buses to "leap-frog a couple of bits of the Camino that I was unable to walk. So, I intend to return in April 2014 to do it again. I promised myself I would keep at it until I got it right. For me this means walking the entire distance.

My wife thinks I am being silly. But for me it is a matter of principle. Besides, I've become a "Camino Junkie." Part of me is on a perpetual Camino and I think of it every day. My life is now broken into two segments "Before Camino," and "After Camino." My wife is very understand and is rolling with this, even though she remains at home.

So, I am posting this for two reasons:

1. If you were on the Camino from 24 April to 29 May and remember me, please PM me and provide contact information if you would like to reconnect. My name is Tom. I am from Virginia in the U.S.

I wore a green/grey Osprey Talon 48 rucksack. When it rained I wore "Zippy" the full body condom - my name for the red Ferrino trekking raincoat I bought in St. Jean. I used two trekking poles and I also wore plain Vittel two water bottles clipped to my sternum harness.

If this does not make the connection perhaps my giving fleece gaitor hats to people who had none, or fixing broken trekking poles and rucksack straps, among other things might jog one's memory.

2. As I am getting ready to do this again, starting in mid-to-late April 2014 from St. Jean, I am reaching out to anyone who might be interested in forming a loose association or informal group. Everyone brings something special and unique to a group and to the shared experience of a Camino. Forming a "Camino Family" is something that one remembers for their lifetime. I am merely reaching out to form mine early...for the next Camino. Again, as above, please PM me on this forum and I will respond.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oxford Alice said........

Yes! I feel the same. Ever since I decided to walk El Camino, things in my life have started to orient themselves toward it. I know that I am already a pilgrim -- although I won't start walking until May 2014.

Alice, I really can relate to that. I too intend to start in May 2014 and have found since I made the decision and started my preparations, unless I'm imagining it, there's something changing in me. I'm not sure what it is to be honest and quite surprisingly for me others have noticed too, - one friend suggested I seemed to have become more calm and patient over the past 3 months or so. :roll:

I walked from Sarria in May 2011 and I am thinking about doing a longer walk in 2014. I would like to experience Holy Week in Spain so I am thinking mid April to around 10 May. Step one is to get approval for a four week vacation/mini sabbatical. If that works out then I will think about the best route and how far I should plan on walking bearing in mind that I want to take the time to go to Mass most days from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday. I want to finish in Santiago.

rglongpre on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:51 am
It has been decided that we will leave Saint Jean Pied de Port on August 28th, 2014. Why that date? Well, it will be our 43rd wedding anniversary, one month after I turn 65. :)

Congratulations! We also started our Via Francigena pilgrimage on our 43rd wedding anniversary. Buen Camino!
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

€46,-
Pre-Caminoist here ,, starting in Sept 2014 . Ive been working hard getting fit and found that my hips were unhappy with me . Couldn't get more than a couple miles before they started to ache badly . One Dr said it was arthritis another some type of tendinitis . Whatever it is I found a remedy.

Osteo-Biflex Glucosomine Chondrotin

This might sound like spam commercial but let me tell you this . IT. WORKS. It really killed the pain , I can walk with a 20 lb BP without any pain .. One Happy Camper .

This trip is partly to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary and just found out our youngest ( 24 yr old) son will be joining our pilgrimage .. ( he caught the fever!) 13 months to go ... :D

DeadFred said:
Pre-Caminoist here ,, starting in Sept 2014 . Ive been working hard getting fit and found that my hips were unhappy with me . Couldn't get more that a couple miles before they started to ache badly . One Dr said it was arthritis another some type of tendinitis . Whatever it is I found a remedy.

Osteo-Biflex Glucosomine Chondrotin

This might sound like spam commercial but let me tell you this . IT. WORKS. It really killed the pain , I can walk with a 20 lb BP without any pain .. One Happy Camper .
:D
Thanks for the tip, I had a similar problem on my last two caminos, fortunately the problem disappeared after about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks walking,

Is it available in Spanish Farmacias?

Frank

Hello,

I have been looking for someway to celebrate turning 60 and finding out about this pilgrim walk has settled it for me. I'm planning on doing this on my own in May 2014. I will spend the next 10 months in preparation but I have just a couple of questions. I am of slight build and 5 foot tall so would like some advice on how much I should carry in my backpack (and some advice on a suitable backpack would be welcome). And if someone could tell me what the bathing facilities are like I would appreciate it, doing this as cheap as possible as traveling from Australia but need to know if warm/hot showers will be available at the end of the day.

Many Thanks

Diane
Gold Coast
Qld, Australia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There must be something about turning 60...
I will be marking mine with a Camino in September.

Hi Dianne (Keldi)
I'm also a GC girl and will be walking in May 2014 as well. After much research I found the quality of the Osprey range well worth a look. You can find the Osprey range at Wild Earth in Burleigh and at Go Camping in Nerang.
Good luck with your training. I may see you on my training walks on the coast sometime.
Michelle.:cool:

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

RDLtrekker- I'm having a very similar dilemma. I if I'm very good from now to the end of next September I will have about 20-23 days actual walking days. I'm trying to decide whether to start in SJPP and just walk as far as I can, then come back another time to walk the rest? Or should I start from Leon (or some point west of there) and walk to Santiago? I'm having a very hard time with this decision. I'm hoping that some miracle will let me have the time and money to walk all the way from SJPP to Santiago. :D
I have so many places on my bucket list I don't know when I'd be back if I just walked from SJPP to around Burgos. At 62, 64 when I make my walk the time clock for being able to physically do this sort of trip is ticking loudly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Keldi said:
I will spend the next 10 months in preparation but I have just a couple of questions.
Hi Diane, the Osprey range is also available at Paddy Palin in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. I'm pretty sure they are the Australian agents. They have a large range of packs. I'd suggest starting your trials with an Osprey Talon 33. I saw many women with them on the Camino. 10% of your bodyweight is the usual guide to the max weight to be carried including water and food. Lots of good advice on this forum. Use the "SEARCH" function at the top of the page.
I've never missed having a hot shower at the end of the day, but then I like to start and finish early.
Check out other GC Caminoists and their requests (they hold meetings occasionally) as follows,
australia-and-new-zealand/topic16527.html

There is a Australian section on this forum which is what the link leads to.
Regds
Gerard

To the ladies from the Gold Coast of Australia...

1. My direct observation from doing the Camino this year (April - May) was that Osprey rucksacks were probably the most used, after Deuter. I also saw a lot of Gregory, Altus ((althus.es) and Quechua (Decathlon's house brand - they are the European sports super-store decathlon.com.). In addition, in New Zealand, Aarn makes fabulous packs. I met a lot of Aussies and Kiwis with them and they all praised the comfort and utility of these packs (aarnpacks.com).

The KEY thing is to have a professional custom fit your rucksack to YOU. The better shops use a plastic form they place on your back and then position it properly according to where your vertebrae are. No two people are alike.

The critical features for any comfortable ruck are:
- a ventilated back, mesh panel that creates air circulation between the pack and your back;
- a padded waist belt that rides on your iliac loop (top bone of the hip / pelvic cage;
- straps that allow you to adjust the position of the TOP of the pack to your shoulders,
- straps that adjust the lower part of the shoulder straps where they attach to the rucksack;
- mounting points for straps, rubber bands, light bungee cords, elastic hair scrungies, whatever, to hold wet stuff, wlaking poles, rain gear, or whatever to the outside of your pack; and
- the number and type of pockets YOU find convenient for YOU.
All this said, light weight and possibly an integral rain cover are also desirable.

All considered, and in my experience and opinion, the THREE most critical items contributing to your comfort, health and an enjoyable Camino are:

- Properly fitted boots - most Keens run 1/2 size SMALL - always check the manufacturer's web site before you buy. The shop may not have this information. If in doubt send a e-mail to the manufacturer and ASK.

I wear a man's 11 / 45. My Keen Targhee II mid-height boots are size 13 / 47. I had not one blister on my Camino. For me, calluses were another story, but not caused by the boots.

You must go up at least one full size, especially if you wear two pair of socks - like me. Allow at least 1/2 size for swelling. Allow another 1/2 size for two pair of socks. Always try the boots on, with the actual socks you will use, and at the end of a day when your feet are more swollen, and walk about the store for a half hour.

- Properly fitted and sized rucksack - less than 30 liters is likely too small; more than about 48 too large. The bigger it is, the more you will try to put in it. Ospreys are perfect, but there are other good brands. Proper fitting is the key.

- Proper rain gear - There are as many opinions on this as there are pilgrims. IMHO ponchos allow too much water in, as do raincoats with pack covers. However, my optimum solution ended up being (after trail and error on the Camino) a Ferrino "Trekker" rip-stop nylon raincoat that I bought at a spur of the moment at the I got it in the SJPdP outdoors store for Euro 50 the day before I left (http://www.ferrino.it/en/catalog/rainwe ... ipstop-s-m).

It is a long raincoat - to the knees - that fastens with a zipper and velcro tabs. It has a built-in hood and a special "hunchback" that unsnaps to cover my 48 liter Osprey Talon rucksack. Mine was red. I named him "Zippy."

Other firms make similar high-quality, sleeved trekking raincoats. Try: Altus.es, Tatonka.com (de), among others.

As for how much to carry, rely on the advice in these forums. Or, you can ask someone who has done it for what they brought that they should not have, and what they did not bring that they should have. The replies will be all over the place. But eventually, you will zero-in on a solution that works for you.

I would be pleased to reply to any private message (PM) or questions posed in the forum.

Buen Camino

Tom

To Tom t2andreo
Wow! Thankyou so very much for the great info about packs, shoes and raincoats- I truly appreciate your commentary.
That is what is great about this forum-the quality info that allows us to hopefully take some planning worry away from the camino.
Interestingly I purchased my Osprey Talon 44L "wonder-pack" a month ago and am so far happy with my choice.
I have trialed a few shoes and have settled on my New Balance trainers and my Keen sandals. I am also researching rain wear and have actually decided to purchase a coat from the shop at SJPDP.
So again thankyou for sharing your experience :grin:
Michelle.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there. My name is Julia. I am going to starting my first walk in September 2014. I may walk it alone or with my daughter.... Not totally sure yet. What I am sure about is my excitement revolving around this trip. I feel like a child waiting for Christmas!!!! I am 39 years old and my youngest of 5 children is almost 16. I guess I am ready to venture out into the world and do some things for myself. I am canadian, from British Columbia. I do have one question. How do most people book their airfare? I am starting in st. Jean pied de port. Do I book one way from France and then return from spain? Or do many people take a train or some other transportation back to France after they finish the walk? I appreciate any advice I can get!!!

Cheers!
Julia

Can't believe it is now again only 9 months until I restart my Camino from where I had to stop (near Fromista) after 580 kms this May/June. I wait in limbo, walking training starts again when the hot weather here in SW France is over. I still read the forum every day even though I have enough packing/walking experience. It brings me closer!

Karin

Hi,

I'm Christine from Seattle, WA, and I am planning to walk in June of 2014. I'm treating myself to celebrate the last of 5 boys graduating from high school. whew! I need the break. I'm 46 and NOT in great shape, and I have not made much time for self or health over the past 26 years of parenting. But that all changes now that I need to prepare. I'm interested in what others are doing to train. I'm also really interested in footwear suggestions and gear in general. I blister like crazy and my hands fall asleep when I wear a backpack. I'm sure there must be good gear out there to prevent/lessen these two problems.

Happy Trails.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Christine,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find much helpful information here to plan your Camino. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always most eager to share their experiences and tips.

Check out this recent Forum topic for various opinions on training. However you train it is never too early to start. >> el-camino-frances/topic19243.html

Check the Equipment topic for a multitude of suggestions on what and what not to take including shoes/boots and backpacks. We all have our personal choices. Nevertheless what 'works' for me may not be the choice for you. >> equipment-questions/

Enjoy your research and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hello, this is Catherine from California. I plan to walk the French route all the way to Finisterre. I would like to go in Sept. 2014. I am thinking this will be a 5/6 wk trip. Is there a person or group that would let me tag along? I am 51 yrs old, physically fit, mother of 6 children and married to the love of my life for 26 years. Thank you!!!

Hi I'm Cate, I'm planning to walk May/June next year -or September/October depending on work. I've wanted to do this for years, I think since reading "Therapy" by David Lodge. Still not sure why I want to though! I've just lost 50 lbs so I can begin to try to get fit but am finding my age is creeping up on me - creaky joints and dodgy knees. Still anxious I won't manage it so been keeping quiet about my plans - posting on here feels like a big step......

Hi Cate and everybody! My name is Stefania and I am from Michigan (USA). I am planning to walk mid May through June 2014 (May 17th start in SJPP and end June 24 in SDC). I have a dodgy knee also. I am planning to get to Pamplona May 15 and then go to SJPP on the 16th to begin on the 17th. I am scared too but can't wait to get started. I will be a slow walker. Hope to hear how your plans are going in the future.

Hi,

I'm Christine from Seattle, WA, and I am planning to walk in June of 2014. I'm treating myself to celebrate the last of 5 boys graduating from high school. whew! I need the break. I'm 46 and NOT in great shape, and I have not made much time for self or health over the past 26 years of parenting. But that all changes now that I need to prepare. I'm interested in what others are doing to train. I'm also really interested in footwear suggestions and gear in general. I blister like crazy and my hands fall asleep when I wear a backpack. I'm sure there must be good gear out there to prevent/lessen these two problems.

Happy Trails.
Christine, I have no special knowledge but wonder if you have ever tried trekking poles. I am practicing with them now for a start mid May 2014 and I like them a lot. Maybe they would help your hands?
Stefania

Hello to the Class os 2014!

I'm planning on starting from Saint Jean on the 15th September 2014... and it seems such a long way away!

I live in France and over the coming year I'm planning on several short trips along the Route Vezelay - I live near Perigueux and plan to pick up the path close to home and see if I can complete the route to Saint Jean before I start.

I need to do some work to get myself fit and ready - I was 50 this year and this adventure is a way of saying that perhaps life begins at 50!

I'm reading so much information on here - already made a few lists! September 2014 seems so far away but I guess it will come round soon enough!

Nice to meet you all!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My name is Ingrid. I live in Broomfield, CO. Myself and a friend will leave for SJPP on March 1st, 2014. We will walk El Camino Frances all the way to Fisterra before returning home on the 21st of April. I try not to think about how long I still have to wait until I embark on this amazing adventure. Buen Camino!

Hello everyone this is Adam and Liz. We are planning to start our walk sometime early May, 2014 from SJPP, France.

Hi, I'm planning the Camino Frances for charity starting SJPP in Spring 2014, probably May/June, but I'll be weather watching and hoping for a "window of opportunity."

I walked the Pennine Way this year in twelve days but if successful this will be the longest walk of my "career" so any advice would be appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello:
Sue here from Minnesota (in central USA). I am planning to walk Camino Portugues September of 2014 (flying to Porto, Portugal 8/31/2014). Looks like most of my Camino classmates are starting in France. Anyone walking from Porto?

Wow, I thought I was ahead of the game joining this forum, purchased John Brierley's book, "Camino Portugues" and joined the gym (2 wks ago). You all are motivating me to pick it up a notch! :)

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Frank ...Don't know if that particular Brand is available but I have no doubt that Glucosomine Chondrotin is available under another name .

Thanks for the tip, I had a similar problem on my last two caminos, fortunately the problem disappeared after about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks walking,

Is it available in Spanish Farmacias?

Frank

Frank ...Don't know if that particular Brand is available but I have no doubt that Glucosomine Chondrotin is available under another name .
It might not be as readily available in Europe, where in many places it is classified as a pharmaceutical drug, not as a dietary supplement - its status in the US.

There is a wikipedia article on Glucosamine which is rather damning about its effectiveness after a 2006 NIH trial that found
When the data from both groups were pooled and analyzed, there was no statistically significant difference between groups taking glucosamine HCl, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine/chondroitin; and those taking a placebo.
If it works for you, you might be lucky, but are you statistically insignificant:confused:

It might not be as readily available in Europe, where in many places it is classified as a pharmaceutical drug, not as a dietary supplement - its status in the US.

There is a wikipedia article on Glucosamine which is rather damning about its effectiveness after a 2006 NIH trial that found If it works for you, you might be lucky, but are you statistically insignificant:confused:

Ha! .. Dogfitz ,I've been statistically insignificant for 67 years . Hopefully will remain so for another 67 yrs :) . But regardless of studys and statitics I can walk without pain where before I had to stop once every mile to stretch .. I believe if I tried I could jump up and click my heels ( but I won't try) . It works for me . Yipeeee

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I recently walked the Milford Track in NZ, and admired my 15yo granddaughter's ability to skip over the boulders. I, too, am well beyond doing that anymore.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm new to this forum and finding it so valuable. I became interested in the Camino after reading S MacLaines book in 2001. After seeing The Way I knew it was something I had to do. My husband and I plan to go next Sept. we only have limited time so we plan to start in Leon. I already know I want to go back and do the whole thing. We live in southern calif so lots of places to hike but need time with a full time job. I think about this all the time. Can't wait to start
Corinne

Hi Corinne,
You'll find some great info from many helpful people on this forum to help you start your planning.
You might want to try the 'search' field at the top of the page to get a feel for the breadth of information you can find.
Buen Camino.

Hi Corinne,
You'll find some great info from many helpful people on this forum to help you start your planning.
You might want to try the 'search' field at the top of the page to get a feel for the breadth of information you can find.
Buen Camino.
Yes. I've been reading and searching almost everyday. This is a great resource

Wow

It's been a while since I joined this community.

Initially, I was overwhelmed by the mass of information, the insights and the ideas of the contributors.

This forum has allowed me to take on good advice and to understand what the pilgrimage means to others. Which means that I can refine my ideas and take common sense suggestions from really knowledgeable people who have blessed me with insights to inform the plans for my pilgrimage.

So thank you to all those who have provided contributions to all the threads.

My contribution here is to provide an insight of how this newbie is coming to terms with what's ahead in 2014.

I now plan to take the Camino Frances and have pencilled end of September 2014. I estimate that the 500 miles will take me 35 days during which I will take 1.5 million steps and I have started my preparation.

The physical preparation is going well and I have just completed a 4 day hike of 125 miles along the Pennine Way.

I am really enjoying the spiritual preparation and its having a really positive impact in all aspects if my life.

The toughest part has been to start helping the people that love me prepare for my pilgrimage.

For some of you reading this, it will be surprising but ever since I have made the promise that I would follow the Way of St James, my family and friends have started to place burdens on me.

This is in sharp contrast to how I am refining my kit as I practice and get fit. By reducing the weight that i will carry - currently i have it down to 11 kg getting there though!

There have been some difficult conversations between us with fears about what could happen to me along the way - all the dramas about all the dangers and privations that I could possibly be experiencing.

The inference from my loved ones was that I would need to "stay in touch"- for my "own good". Daily updates and all that goes with it.

So imagine the conversations when I described my intention to leave my iPhone etc at home so that I could relieve myself if the burden and responsibility of "checking in" regularly.

It was a tough ask for them to understand that I needed to be "of the world - but not IN the world" .

They thought that I had gone mad and this pilgrimage obsession was turning me into a person they did not recognise.

This makes me feel unhappy for their concerns but it is spurring me on to make this gift that I have been given work for us all.

I now know that the pilgrimage is not for me alone but it's for the people that love me too.

But I choose not to carry their expectations with me on each step of the way. It's too much a burden for me to carry.

The main insight i have so far is that the self awareness that the preparation fir the pilgrimage has created in me may currently be interpreted as selfishness by them.

So, I have much to do, to ensure that my loved ones are carried with me but that they are not a burden to me.

That's the main focus of my work at present.

Is it just me?

Dax

Dax,

I couldn't get away from family and friends being worried about me either, so I made the compromise to blog every other day or so, and leave that as my only connection to them. This way, they know I'm ok, and I am still in control of how much contact I have. Just remember that they are worried about you out of love, and then make the choices that are best for you.

Blessings,

Ruth

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Ruth,

Thanks for the feedback. I trust that making the compromise that you have was a good starting point. I think that if I won't to that extent I'd be subtly drawn in to a daily update so I am resisting it.

It would good to know how it worked out for you and from others who are facing the same dilemma.

Dax

Terry carried a very simple phone. Talk/text only, no wi-fi/3G/smartphone etc. If there was a signal he sent me a text. It worked well. He actually sent a text which arranged a call twice, when there was a good signal. If he didn't text I didn't panic, :), and a simple text - think 'Arrived 'x', all well' - didn't impinge into his Camino.

When we walked together we arranged with family that we would only text each other if there was a real need. 'No news= good news'. We sent a couple of postcards, and one set of them arrived home after us :rolleyes:.

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the forum. Along with preparing your health, finances and spirituality can I suggest that you learn some Spanish. It not only makes life easier and safer, it adds a whole new dimension to your experience, enriching it in so many ways. Also it weighs nothing.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

Hi Lydia

I have just joined the forum and am considering a trip next year. I was going to travel with a group but we had a lot of fundraising to complete which I could not commit to. Being that I live in Northern Ireland we are limited to destinations, in Spain and France. Where do you think I should fly to initially? Any info you have would be appreciated.
Marian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings Peregrinos, I am a retired GE Engineer from Port Orange Florida and plan to do my first Camino solo, May/June of 2014--SJPP to Santiago/Muxia/Fin. Other then a new pack, I have pretty much everything that I need. I am intrigued by the forum chatter on some of the rain gear and may pick something up when I get to SJPP. I have been just a reader here since joining the forum choosing to learn a few things before posting my introduction. I plan to join in on more of the discussions and toss my two cents around a bit.
Cheers and Buen Camino to all.... Ed

Last edited:
Corcou .. Laurie & I will also be heading over in Sept 2014 from Arkansas ,we have 6 weeks so will be able to start in St Jean. I feel your excitement ! It's going to be an incredible experience I have NO doubt .

Hi. I'm new to this forum and finding it so valuable. I became interested in the Camino after reading S MacLaines book in 2001. After seeing The Way I knew it was something I had to do. My husband and I plan to go next Sept. we only have limited time so we plan to start in Leon. I already know I want to go back and do the whole thing. We live in southern calif so lots of places to hike but need time with a full time job. I think about this all the time. Can't wait to start
Corinne

Hi Everyone!
So happy to be part of the class of 2014! I plan on walking the Camino Frances the beginning of March. It will still be wet and cold but will be a blessed relief to leave the baking California sun for a while :)
Buen Camino!

Hi Everyone!
So happy to be part of the class of 2014! I plan on walking the Camino Frances the beginning of March. It will still be wet and cold but will be a blessed relief to leave the baking California sun for a while :)
Buen Camino!
I would like to do a winter hike as well but thought more about a warmer hike close to the start of summer instead.....Good luck!!

Corcou .. Laurie & I will also be heading over in Sept 2014 from Arkansas ,we have 6 weeks so will be able to start in St Jean. I feel your excitement ! It's going to be an incredible experience I have NO doubt .
I'm envious. I already know I want to go again and start in St Jean

Hello All,

I am excited to add myself to this wonderful class, i've enjoyed reading this thread. I will be walking the Via de la plata in April/may of 2014 starting from sevilla. Would love to hear from anyone else who is planning for that time as well. I walked the frances in 2012 and have been wanting to go back as soon as it was finished. Last time I was pretty rushed on time, so I had to have long days and felt like I missed out on exploring some of the great cities nor was I able to make it to finesterre/muxia so I am planning on doing that this time. Also there were a few things (well more than a few things really but these are the ones I am working on now) I want to change:
1. Better shoes ( i walked from SJPP to Santiago in my road running shoes- why I didn't take my trail running shoes at least seems really silly to me now)
2. More training (the first week was pretty rough, I wan to enjoy it right from the beginning)
3. Read more background/history
4. Stick to my own pace though its really hard when you find pilgrims you click with not to stay with them
5. Make a point to journal even when I am tired.

Look forard to meeting some of you it not on the same camino maybe in santiago!
Ash

Hi! I am planning on walking mid May through June 2014. I will be 60 in April 2014 and have been thinking and dreaming about this a lot!! It looks like the prep work may be the hardest! (Besides letting my boss know......ugh...haven't done that yet!) But, I am looking forward to it all! See some of you in 9 months or so!
Buen Camino!
Rosemary

Oxford Alice said........

I started serious thoughts about doing the Camino a few months back and I too have felt a noticeable change. I have also become obsessed with reading anything and everything related to "The Way!"

Hi! I am planning on walking mid May through June 2014. I will be 60 in April 2014 and have been thinking and dreaming about this a lot!! It looks like the prep work may be the hardest! (Besides letting my boss know......ugh...haven't done that yet!) But, I am looking forward to it all! See some of you in 9 months or so!
Buen Camino!
Rosemary
Hello Rosemary, Perhaps our paths will cross on the Camino. Happy Trails...Ed

€149,-
Hello All,

I am excited to add myself to this wonderful class, i've enjoyed reading this thread. I will be walking the Via de la plata in April/may of 2014 starting from sevilla. Would love to hear from anyone else who is planning for that time as well. I walked the frances in 2012 and have been wanting to go back as soon as it was finished. Last time I was pretty rushed on time, so I had to have long days and felt like I missed out on exploring some of the great cities nor was I able to make it to finesterre/muxia so I am planning on doing that this time. Also there were a few things (well more than a few things really but these are the ones I am working on now) I want to change:
1. Better shoes ( i walked from SJPP to Santiago in my road running shoes- why I didn't take my trail running shoes at least seems really silly to me now)
2. More training (the first week was pretty rough, I wan to enjoy it right from the beginning)
4. Stick to my own pace though its really hard when you find pilgrims you click with not to stay with them

Ash
Hi Ash, Great hiking in AZ I hear. Good luck on your Camino. Ed

Hi, I'm planning the Camino Frances for charity starting SJPP in Spring 2014, probably May/June, but I'll be weather watching and hoping for a "window of opportunity."

I walked the Pennine Way this year in twelve days but if successful this will be the longest walk of my "career" so any advice would be appreciated.
I will be looking for you. Good luck on your Charity event!! Ed

€149,-

€149,-
Hello All,

Ash
Hi Ash,

I hope our paths cross sometime somewhere! Funny, just by replying to a post I feel so committed and that I am already on my way to The Way! hmmmm

Greetings Peregrinos, I am a retired GE Engineer from Port Orange Florida and plan to do my first Camino solo, May/June of 2014--SJPP to Santiago/Muxia/Fin. Other then a new pack, I have pretty much everything that I need. I am intrigued by the forum chatter on some of the rain gear and may pick something up when I get to SJPP. I have been just a reader here since joining the forum choosing to learn a few things before posting my introduction. I plan to join in on more of the discussions and toss my two cents around a bit.
Cheers and Buen Camino to all.... Ed
Ed,
The excitement mounts! Lucky, you are retired. I still have to let my boss know that I WILL be gone for 6 weeks May/June 2014. One good thing is he is very active, travels internationally so he will understand!

Hi I'm Cate, I'm planning to walk May/June next year -or September/October depending on work. I've wanted to do this for years, I think since reading "Therapy" by David Lodge. Still not sure why I want to though! I've just lost 50 lbs so I can begin to try to get fit but am finding my age is creeping up on me - creaky joints and dodgy knees. Still anxious I won't manage it so been keeping quiet about my plans - posting on here feels like a big step......
Hi Cate!

I am going Mid May through June 2014. Like you, it has almost felt like a dream until I posted that I am going. Yes, a big step! You can do this creaky joints and dodgy knees and all. Remember.....how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!!

Hope to see you soon!
Rosemary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi I am Pattii from Alberta Canada and in the class of 2014!

My plan is to spend 6 months in Europe ending up at my sisters in Sweden for Christmas 2014. I will be in France in August exploring some of the wonderful places along the Tours route. In September 2014 I will be walking The Camino Frances all the way to Fisterra. I am giving myself 40 days from SJPdP to Santiago and will take my time to Fisterra. The plan then is to bus back along the coastal route resting and exploring for a week or so and perhaps even walking from Roncesvalle to SJPdP mid to late October! I hope to meet up with some of you somewhere along the road! And if any of you are planning on travelling elsewhere afterwards my plans are for Morocco and Italy and maybe even Egypt then north stopping a few places on my trek to Sweden. Let me know if you are heading my way!

Buen Camino All!

Blessing
Pattii

Hi Ash,

I hope our paths cross sometime somewhere! Funny, just by replying to a post I feel so committed and that I am already on my way to The Way! hmmmm

Me too!

Ed,
The excitement mounts! Lucky, you are retired. I still have to let my boss know that I WILL be gone for 6 weeks May/June 2014. One good thing is he is very active, travels internationally so he will understand!
It's great to have an understanding boss!!

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Suzanne...would like to get your info, if you'd like to meet up with some others from DFW who have walked the camino.
Private message me if you're interested. Some of us are planning on getting together sometime in September. There are
8 or 9 of us...

If that's the case then I need to light a fire and get going ( doing the math ,,, 68 yrs old on my first trip(Sept 14') + 7yrs =75 yrs ( #2, 22' ) + 7 yrs = 82 yrs (#3, 30') ... Thats immently doable ( coughs lightly) ... wonder what kind of pain pills I can get in 2030

They say - you should walk the Camino three times in your life. (Every 5-7 years)

2009 was my first one (in the fall)
2014 will be my second one (mid May - Mid June)...

I am excited!!

This time I have 9.5 month of preparation and not just 3 weeks ;)

View attachment 6027View attachment 6028View attachment 6029View attachment 6030

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dax,

I couldn't get away from family and friends being worried about me either, so I made the compromise to blog every other day or so, and leave that as my only connection to them. This way, they know I'm ok, and I am still in control of how much contact I have. Just remember that they are worried about you out of love, and then make the choices that are best for you.

Blessings,

Ruth
I think that's what I am planning on doing. Some of my family and friends think I am nuts...lol...especially my little old hobbit mother...God bless her! I do think that if they have something to watch for and read every couple/three days or so it will help them to relax and not stress. I don't want my pilgrimage to make them stumble...what I want is for them to understand this insanely deep ever constant longing to be there. I have decided to start my blog during my preparation stage. I have a tentative starting date of Sept 1 2014 so that should be soon. I think this will ease them into my experience and I personally think it will create a support network for me and for them.
I also think writing is cathartic. So taking the time to write out what it is I am experiencing...even if it is just "wow look at the scenery" or "damn blisters!"...it is important to keep the left brain...at least my left brain... satiated with its need to record and store the information thus allowing my right brain and Spirit to absorb deeply the meaning of my Camino.

The Camino creates community yet for each it is a journey we can only experience alone. That is the part they don't understand and the part I long for. But thats fine! As long as I let them know I am safe they don't need to understand it as long as I do.

I quoted this before but it fits so perfectly.

"You believe he is insane
because the music he dances to
cannot be grasped by your ears."

Rumi

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone.
I've been lurking on the site for a while but I plan to do my pilgrimage in April, May 2014. Still working through whether I will bring my 13 year old son with me. He will be training with me but is not that keen.

Time will tell

Hmmm, my response would be if he is not too keen, then do this solo and take him on your second Camino after you have the kinks worked out and he may be more receptive after hearing your thoughts, reflections and experiences! You want him to be glad he is there and not wandering or asking "are we there yet, how much farther?" But, whatever you decide "Buen Camino!"
Rosemary

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .

Buen Camino
Arn

€83,-
Hi, i have read through some of the posts, but not yet come across any other folk intending to walk from Granada, as my husband & I intend to do - starting mid-March, 2014. Anyone else going to be in that neck of the woods in March/April next year? Having already walked from SJPP we will be well prepared physically, but also 'expecting the unexpected' ! Either way we can hardly wait.

Joseph here, from Seattle WA. I've been trying not to think about the Camino since summer 2012. Had a lot of success over winter 2012/2013, but caught the bug again this summer. I now find myself sitting reading this forum at all hours, so I think it might be time to step forward and say "My name is Joseph and I am an addict." Seriously, though, although I haven't made any firm plans yet, it would be fun to do this in 2014 -- I hear that would be 800 years after St Francis did the Camino! -- and am mulling over May vs. September. I'm pretty sure I want to avoid July/August despite how nice it would be to arrive in Santiago for the feast of St James on 25 July. So... if anyone has advice re May vs Sep I'm all ears. I haven't had the vacation time approved yet, but can probably get max 4 weeks off work, so will not be able to do the entire SJPP-Santiago (let alone Finisterre) route. I have been looking at Burgos or LeĂłn. I think that's about all for now.

Hi,

Happy Trails.

Hi Christine! I'm also from Seattle, and thinking about Camino 2014. FYI some local leads you might find helpful:
  • Local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino http://americanpilgrims.com/about/local_puget_sound.html
  • Facebook group for the chapter here https://www.facebook.com/groups/183722741809252/
  • FYI they have local walks every 2nd Sunday. The one this Sunday 9/8 at 1pm starts at the Ballard Locks, then goes around Discovery Park. I've never joined them before, but thought I would try this weekend just to move my Camino planning effort forward and make connections. I've met a few of the folks in this group and they are wonderful! There's contact info on either page linked above.
Best of luck!

I would agree with leaving him behind this journey...The idea is that you spend time with you not taking care of your son...and I can't see many child

Joseph here, from Seattle WA. I've been trying not to think about the Camino since summer 2012. Had a lot of success over winter 2012/2013, but caught the bug again this summer. I now find myself sitting reading this forum at all hours, so I think it might be time to step forward and say "My name is Joseph and I am an addict." Seriously, though, although I haven't made any firm plans yet, it would be fun to do this in 2014 -- I hear that would be 800 years after St Francis did the Camino! -- and am mulling over May vs. September. I'm pretty sure I want to avoid July/August despite how nice it would be to arrive in Santiago for the feast of St James on 25 July. So... if anyone has advice re May vs Sep I'm all ears. I haven't had the vacation time approved yet, but can probably get max 4 weeks off work, so will not be able to do the entire SJPP-Santiago (let alone Finisterre) route. I have been looking at Burgos or LeĂłn. I think that's about all for now.
Had to laugh at the posting...I felt the same way when I finally told people about it...And yes the forum is addictive...its the first thing I do in the am over coffee and I find myself almost falling asleep at night staying up to read...its either that or one of the books I have. It is like an addiction ...just cant wait to get my next fix!

Welcome to the class of 2014...Im going in Sept!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Joseph, I'm in the same boat. I too am a Camino addict!

I've already decided to go the end of September next year, as I generally like Fall weather better than spring and I'll have more time then. Still not enough to walk the whole Frances but probably about 4 weeks. This week I'm looking at starting in Leon and if I have time continuing on to Finisterre after Santiago. I say this week because I have also though of starting in SJPP and just walking as far as I can get. I'm not a real fast walker so I have no idea how far I will get. Maybe Burgos or even Leon. I'd have to come back another time to finish up which doesn't sit well with my compulsive nature.
Hope to hear more about your decision and your preparations for your Camino:)

Resistance is Futile! :rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.