Credential Question

Nov 21, 2023
Indianapolis, IN
Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
I preordered my credential from this forum. I used the QR to register. My question: On the first page at the bottom, it states “Cumplió la peregrinación (sello) or “I completed the pilgrimage”. There is then room for like 1 or 2 seals. I feel like this should be obvious, but my OCD self wants to be sure. Do I save this area for my final sello from the Cathedral de Santiago? Or should it have my first sello from the Cathedral in Porto? Thanks in advance. I’ve looked up a lot of posts about the credential, but haven’t seen this particular question answered.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Robo

Veteran Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sydney / Bangkok
robscamino.com
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Good question @Cheryl2445 .
That is where your final stamp goes on arrival in Santiago at the Pilgrims Office..
Your first stamp goes top left on the first blank page.
Which on mine is the third page.

dick bird

Staff member
Feb 2, 2020
Sydney
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024
“Cumplió la peregrinación (sello) or “I completed the pilgrimage”
It actually means ´he/she completed the pilgrimage´. It should therefore be the last stamp put into your credencial and the one that finally earns you your compostela.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Apr 6, 2013
Northern Virginia
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
I preordered my credential from this forum. I used the QR to register. My question: On the first page at the bottom, it states “Cumplió la peregrinación (sello) or “I completed the pilgrimage”. There is then room for like 1 or 2 seals. I feel like this should be obvious, but my OCD self wants to be sure. Do I save this area for my final sello from the Cathedral de Santiago? Or should it have my first sello from the Cathedral in Porto? Thanks in advance. I’ve looked up a lot of posts about the credential, but haven’t seen this particular question answered.
The Pilgrim Office staff place TWO sellos in your credencial. As mentioned by others, the first goes inside the front cover, where it says: “Completed the Camino …”

The second goes at the end, after your last sello collected on your Camino. This served as a “full stop.” It signifies that that credential is closed to further entries.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:

rainswift

Sep 20, 2023
Victoria, BC
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
If one is a sello-obsessive, and one collects enough sellos to fill two credencials for one compostela, which spaces in the credencial does one leave unstamped?

A. The space inside the front cover of credencial-1
B. The space inside the front cover of credencial-2
C. The space at the end of the credencial-1 so that the Pilgrim Office can close credencial-1
D. The space at the end of credecial-2 so that the Pilgrim Office can close credencial-2

?

A+B+D together make intuitive sense, but does one leave C alone?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
To be on the safe side, when you start to get short on spaces, just buy another credential...usually you can get one at the municipal albergues and or church run albergues. Most places I have worked sold them and sometime you can get one at the city tourism information office.

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
If one is a sello-obsessive, and one collects enough sellos to fill two credencials for one compostela, which spaces in the credencial does one leave unstamped?

A. The space inside the front cover of credencial-1
B. The space inside the front cover of credencial-2
C. The space at the end of the credencial-1 so that the Pilgrim Office can close credencial-1
D. The space at the end of credecial-2 so that the Pilgrim Office can close credencial-2

?

A+B+D together make intuitive sense, but does one leave C alone?
You only need a ‘C’ at the end of your final credencial.

If you’re a bit OCD as I am; you’ll pass a happy hour or two in Santiago before going to the pilgrim office making sure that every space apart from the aforementioned ‘C’ is complete.

Having said that; I rarely collect a compostela these days, but I still visit the office for a final sello.

Whilst it doesn’t stand comparison to @JabbaPapa ’s extensive credencial for one continuous journey I often venture onto a Camino route for 7-10 days when the opportunity presents itself. My ‘bits and pieces’ credencial is now seven taped together.

Reactions: rainswift

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Mar 5, 2019
Willow Grove, PA
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
I had 2 Credentiales. The one that I started with from SJPdP had this "closure" stamp on the 1st page but nothing at the end (makes sense since it was completely filled with "walking stamps' if you will).
The 2nd one indeed had both - on the 1st page and the page that had my last walking stamp (that morning in O'Pedrouso)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.