• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Current conditions on the Frances

Becky 59

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018, 2021, 2023; CI 2019; CP 2022, 2023
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left after last week’s rain, with good stepping stones to get over them all.
We had intended to stop in Zaraguiqui tonight (after an overnight flight, wanted a short day), but the only open albergue in town, St Anton’s, was closed due to illness of the owner. (Call first if you want to stay there!) So we walked further to Uterga and got bunks at Baztan. Also met 2 forum members @Kiwi-family and @alexwalker ! On to Eunate tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good on you, and thanks for serving.
I’ve gotta ask, did you know in advance they’d be there, figure it out by chance, or did it somehow just come up in conversation?
I’ve only once knowingly met a fellow forum member, unlike me, most are not recognisable from their forum avatars
I saw a fellow with a glass of wine in the back garden and asked where he procured it; subsequent questions revealed I had a multiple-Camino history and spoke English, and yes I was on Ivar’s Forum…the rest is history! (Not sure how Alex and @Kiwi-family found each other before I got there)

Nice to know you are all around. I left freezing Pamplona this morning and went to Eunate. It is beautiful. Peaceful and simple. Swallows have made a nest in the church I believe. They were swooping down and I heard the babies. Magic

Attachments

• IMG_7533.jpeg
    IMG_7533.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7528.jpeg
    IMG_7528.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 96
I am checking on the «bed race» frenzy. So far nada problemos; it is vastly overrated. Actually the CF right now looks simular to my fir st CF in 2008. More later : I have an appolintment now with a glass of Spanish red with Becky :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Im on the Ingles Camino at present. Finish Sunday then Tuesday train to Pampalona and depending on weather will bus over to SJPDP on Wednesday or start walking to Santiago from Roncevalles or Pampalona Thursday. Forecast for midweek looking good. Wondering how much colder than here in Presado the west is today.

@Becky 59 ! You are such an intrepid pilgrim!
Hats off to you, my dear! Sorry, so sorry I cannot come to say hello while you are in Pamplona, which is one of my other home places!
Eunate, what a shame it no longer has a functioning albergue.
Anyway, buen camino, and the same to the other forum members you are meeting, @Kiwi-family and @alexwalker
Pintxos - one of the best places I know of is

IMG_5662.jpeg

@Becky 59 ! You are such an intrepid pilgrim!
Hats off to you, my dear! Sorry, so sorry I cannot come to say hello while you are in Pamplona, which is one of my other home places!
Eunate, what a shame it no longer has a functioning albergue.
Anyway, buen camino, and the same to the other forum members you are meeting, @Kiwi-family and @alexwalker
Pintxos - one of the best places I know of is

View attachment 167673
@Kirkie, nice to hear from you! Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll look for a free moment to try it out. Maybe I can make it to Dublin next time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stay in Estella tonight in the Municipal. Clean, friendly, good beds. 8 euros. At 2.30 PM they have 25 beds taken out of total 78.
In Cirauqui last night there were 3 beds not taken out of 26. last pilgrim came in at 8 PM.

Seriously those who claim there is a bed race: I don’t get it. Something must be done very wrong/ignorant by some pilgrims to end up in trouble.
Ihave booked a bed in Los Arcos, casa Austria tomorrow. Because it is a nice place, not bc I am worried. The municipal there has many beds (70) and there are many other places to get a bed.
The weather is fantastic: cool in the mornings and 23C now ln the afternoon All sunshine and no rain the next 1 1/2 week, at least.

The Bed race? I have missed it completely …

Saw a very good offer for pilgrim meny so I’m heading over there soon. The food we have been served in the albergues for 2 nights has been great, but municipals don’t serve food, so I am on my own. But their offer looked great so I’ll give it a go. Soon.

Last edited:
I stay in Estella tonight in the Municipal. Clean, friendly, good beds. 8 euros. At 2.30 PM they have 25 beds taken out of total 78.
In Cirauqui last night there were 3 beds not taken out of 26. last pilgrim came in at 8 PM.

Seriously those who claim there is a bed race: I don’t get it. Something must be done very wrong/ignorant by some pilgrims to end up in trouble.
Ihave booked a bed in Los Arcos, casa Austria tomorrow. Because it is a nice place, not bc I am worried. The municipal there has many beds (70) and there are many other places to get a bed.
The weather is fantastic: cool in the mornings and 23C now ln the afternoon All sunshine and no rain the next 1 1/2 week, at least.

Saw a very good offer for pilgrim meny so I’m heading over there soon. The food we have been served in the albergues for 2 nights has been great, but municipals don’t serve food, so I am on my own. But their offer looked great so I’ll give it a go. Soon.
No

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very good, lots of food. And very filling. Greetings from sunny Spain.
Lot's of food !!!!
That's two completely separate meals for me!

I'd need to have been hiking in the backwoods (something like the PCT) for over 2 weeks before I developed that kind of 'hiker hunger'.

Ok, ok, I'm just jealous.....

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Los Arcos: my first Camino (2016) opportunity to stay with my 50 new best friends in one room! Phil was tucked away somewhere near an outlet in the other building in a 4 person room...something wrong with the outlets in this dorm that day so he could not share the close quarters. I believe this is the 70 bed albergue referred to by @alexwalker It was full when we stayed there.
1712949478416.png

So Alex went for food and forgot to bring me with him! That’s ok, I did laundry and he didn’t (different priorities for different perigrinos; hey, it’s his camino, lol!) But he’s right, there are still plenty of beds available (although I think most of the bottom bunks in town are taken), and there has been availability everywhere so far (but only upper bunks). Muchas gracias, Alex, for some great conversations.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very cool to meet forum members, especially celebrities like those!
I have met a good handful of forum members over the years. It is always such a delight to meet them in person. The next best thing is to see members via their Youtube channel or video. I few of those that come to mind are @Robo, @David, and @jungleboy. To hear their voices and accents is a treat.🙂

Last edited:
In Los Arcos. 26C and rising to 28 in the afternoon. Sunny Spain… Do not envy late walkers. This stretch although fairly flat, can be a hard one, so to speak. Weather forcast is splendid for the next days. Enjoyin a cana in town square. Will go for tapas/vino later. Life is good :cool:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It'd be great to meet anyone from the forums! I'm starting from Leon on 26 April, so it's just possible I might meet some of you. I can be recognised from my avatar (it's more up to date than any of my ID cards).

It'd be great to meet anyone from the forums! I'm starting from Leon on 26 April, so it's just possible I might meet some of you. I can be recognised from my avatar (it's more up to date than any of my ID cards).
You will be at least 12 days ahead of me.

Dinner done. In the hostel. After yesterday’s food excess in Estella i felt for something lighter today. So it was bread, slices of choriso (lots), pata negra (lots), and flushed down with a bottle of fine Rioja at the price of 3.95 euros which is incredible for a Rioja. And after all, as they say: No vino, no Camino.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am back from the municipal albergue in Los Arcos. Spoke with two lovely hospitaleras. Never full this year. As of Saturday April 13th 6.15 PM there are 46 pilgrims in an albergue with 70 beds capasity. I will not follow up anymore: This so-called bed race is just nonsense.

Waste of my time.

«Bed race». Made by people who don’t have a clue and have never been alone from home. IMHO.

Even my bookable hostel is far from full.

Last edited:
The one point I would disagree with you on, my friend, is the race for a bottom bunk. Tonight at the municipal in Viana, I got the last bottom bunk at 2 pm; the upper bunks are still not full (7:30 pm). One place I tried in Estella yesterday had no lower bunks by 1:30 pm but all their upper bunks were still available. This suggests some pilgrims may want to reframe the “race”: a race to the bottom?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So Alex went for food and forgot to bring me with him! That’s ok, I did laundry and he didn’t (different priorities for different perigrinos; hey, it’s his camino, lol!) But he’s right, there are still plenty of beds available (although I think most of the bottom bunks in town are taken), and there has been availability everywhere so far (but only upper bunks). Muchas gracias, Alex, for some great conversations.
Wondering what time most shoot to stop for the day? I have reservations in St Jean and Orisson to be able to start without concern and get rid of jet lag. Hopefully I will figure out my routine as I go.

Wondering what time most shoot to stop for the day? I have reservations in St Jean and Orisson to be able to start without concern and get rid of jet lag. Hopefully I will figure out my routine as I go.
That varies hugely. So many factors come into play: weather, how I feel, how long a day I am thinking of doing, if I am considering walking with/ meeting up with somebody else or not, wether I prefer a municipal or private Albergue, or if I've actually got something booked for the night.
If I do not have not have a reservation (after the first couple of days normally not) it depends on where I wish to stay. Say I want to stay at the local municipal, and I know it has limited capacity ( ie it's really small) I might aim for one o'clock, or approximately an hour before opening - whichever is first. But if it's larger I'd probably aim for around 14.00.

A small town with multiple albergues - probably 14.00 - 15.00. Later if there was something particularly of interest along the way.

The latest I have arrived because I knew I had a hotel for the night was a little after 19.00 (I messaged the hotel so they knew I would be arriving later). On the occasions that I'm walking longer days (30 to 35 kilometers) I generally aim to be done by 17.00. But I'm not an early riser! I rarely hit the trail before 7:30, heat or no heat.

Many seem to aim for between two and four pm. The reasoning for that is that you then have plenty of time to get your kit washed and dried for the next day.

In the height of summer that gets pulled forward significantly because most want to be off the trail before it gets stinking hot, so they aim to be done by 13.00.

It's like so many things on Camino it's very, very individual

I start on 25 April from SJPDP and I look like my avatar - but 5 years older. ;) I'll be carrying a NZ flag badge. The long range weather forecast looks great through to Espinal. Nothing extreme.

Question about the top bunks - I've heard some people prefer them? I would be scared of rolling off in the middle of the night.

I can't believe that's one meal @alexwalker ? Thought it was two mains, initially.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Viana. It is nearly 3.30 PM. 7 pilgrims in the municipal with 54 beds capacity. I always get low bunks because i say I am retired (retirado/jubilado). @Becky 59 : you were there on a Saturday: Many Spanish use weekends for walking. Still you got a bed…😎

Met some sheepegrinos today: Possible bed race offenders?
IMG_1993.jpeg

Last edited:
Something to note if you reserve a bed but have not prepaid for it is that many albergues will require you to check-in prior to a time that they specify or they will give your bed to someone else.

This is because a number of unscrupulous people make multiple reservations for the same day and decide on the day which option to take without informing the hospitaleros of the place(s) where they don't stay.

Each albergue will have their own requirements but often the deadline is 15:30.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Something to note if you reserve a bed but have not prepaid for it is that many albergues will require you to check-in prior to a time that they specify or they will give your bed to someone else.

This is because a number of unscrupulous people make multiple reservations for the same day and decide on the day which option to take without informing the hospitaleros of the place(s) where they don't stay.

Each albergue will have their own requirements but often the deadline is 15:30.
Yes, i abide by that. I am VERY rarely, if ever, walking after 2 PM. I sit with cold beer and just watch the bewilderment going on.

That varies hugely. So many factors come into play: weather, how I feel, how long a day I am thinking of doing, if I am considering walking with/ meeting up with somebody else or not, wether I prefer a municipal or private Albergue, or if I've actually got something booked for the night.
If I do not have not have a reservation (after the first couple of days normally not) it depends on where I wish to stay. Say I want to stay at the local municipal, and I know it has limited capacity ( ie it's really small) I might aim for one o'clock, or approximately an hour before opening - whichever is first. But if it's larger I'd probably aim for around 14.00.

A small town with multiple albergues - probably 14.00 - 15.00. Later if there was something particularly of interest along the way.

The latest I have arrived because I knew I had a hotel for the night was a little after 19.00 (I messaged the hotel so they knew I would be arriving later). On the occasions that I'm walking longer days (30 to 35 kilometers) I generally aim to be done by 17.00. But I'm not an early riser! I rarely hit the trail before 7:30, heat or no heat.

Many seem to aim for between two and four pm. The reasoning for that is that you then have plenty of time to get your kit washed and dried for the next day.

In the height of summer that gets pulled forward significantly because most want to be off the trail before it gets stinking hot, so they aim to be done by 13.00.

It's like so many things on Camino it's very, very individual
Just reading this makes me more excited for one more week to pass so I will be there doing this! Thanks so much for taking time to reply!

In Azofra today. At 4.30 PM there are 20 pilgrims here. Total capasity is 60 (the WP app says 100). At 1.30 I was rhe second pilgrim to check in… Traffic is not huge: it is very relaxed on the Camino right now. Will stay in Granon (yes the one and only) tomorrow.

Last edited:

€60,-
I was in Granon last day and it is special. I agree there is no bed race. Still Granon was full and a couple of albergue on the way are closed eg Vilmajor de Rio, Espinosa, Vilafranca montes de oca. Tomorrow I am going to Cardenuela Riopico. The municipal has only 12 beds and going on would make a very long stretch. So I booked a bed. So let’s not panic and keep a no-reservation approach but do check the day ahead if possibilities are small.

I’m back in Pamplona serving at the new donativo Betania. Love the brand new kitchen, it makes cooking a joy! Hasn’t been full yet here. The overseeing priest, Fr. Cuco (as he wants to be called) is super friendly. Stop in if you’re in Pamplona!

I was in Granon last day and it is special. I agree there is no bed race. Still Granon was full and a couple of albergue on the way are closed eg Vilmajor de Rio, Espinosa, Vilafranca montes de oca. Tomorrow I am going to Cardenuela Riopico. The municipal has only 12 beds and going on would make a very long stretch. So I booked a bed. So let’s not panic and keep a no-reservation approach but do check the day ahead if possibilities are small.
The joke is on me. I decided to walk on (40km) cancelled my reservation and got to Burgos. I arrived at the donativo at 5pm and they had 3 beds taken out of 12. 😆 there is no bed race!

On the other end of the camino, lat night there was space at the stellar Albergue El Aleman in Boente. Tonight in Santa Irene municipal one of their 2 dorm rooms is about 3/4 full.

There was a brief rush of fast walkers at about 07.30 - 08.00 but otherwise the Francés feels pretty mellow; I remember it being much busier the last time I was on this stretch in 2015. (Well...there was a bit of a buzz in Melide at lunchtime yesterday, but not the hoardes I was dreading coming in off the Primitivo.)

Some random pics from today. You can see it's hardly a crowd. I had to wait at Ribadiso for someone to walk across the bridge.
20240417_084059.jpg 20240417_092813.jpg20240417_140933.jpg

Last edited:
I start on 25 April from SJPDP and I look like my avatar - but 5 years older. ;) I'll be carrying a NZ flag badge. The long range weather forecast looks great through to Espinal. Nothing extreme.

Question about the top bunks - I've heard some people prefer them? I would be scared of rolling off in the middle of the night.

I can't believe that's one meal @alexwalker ? Thought it was two mains, initially.
Well could be a bed race coming up soon. Roncevalles is fully booked for thursday 19th. I'm in SJPDP tonite and lucky to get an xtra night here and cross Pyrenees Friday when better weather predicted.

Well could be a bed race coming up soon. Roncevalles is fully booked for thursday 19th. I'm in SJPDP tonite and lucky to get an xtra night here and cross Pyrenees Friday when better weather predicted.
I'm booked through to Pamplona fortunately, and a night in Borda and hopping over Roncesvalles. I've also allowed an extra night to get to SJPDP in case of delays, so should be OK. Roncesvalles will still have "unbookable" beds available each day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm booked through to Pamplona fortunately, and a night in Borda and hopping over Roncesvalles. I've also allowed an extra night to get to SJPDP in case of delays, so should be OK. Roncesvalles will still have "unbookable" beds available each day.
What is an unbookable bed! In Roncevalles? By the way, Ronce is also fully booked for tonight as we.. now, so I'm told!! Here in SJPDP its wall to wall pilgrims, so by prepared for larger numbers than last week.

From now until at least Sunday 5 May, it will be a busy period in Roncesvalles. @Ianinam, an experienced hospitalera at Roncesvalles wrote in April 2023:

[When there are no beds left for booking on the website it means that] all the 183 beds in the renovated building are 'sold out'. There will only remain 32 beds in the Sótano and 30 beds in the Dependencia, and they fill up very quickly! When daily 350 pilgrims start in SJPdP and we have 245 beds in Roncesvalles the math is simple ....

I don't know whether they have the same policy this April 2024 as they had in April 2023.

This information is not meant to start a bedrace panic, just to allow new pilgrims to be better informed and prepared. It has to be noted that this says nothing about the availability of beds elsewhere on the Camino Francés, just for Roncesvalles which is the end of their first day for many new pilgrims and a known bottleneck during a few days in late April/early May and early September of every year.

Also, there are cancellations on nearly every day on the Roncesvalles albergue website and a few beds become available for booking again. Buen Camino to all!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
From now until at least Sunday 5 May, it will be a busy period in Roncesvalles.
More specifically and for staying in Roncesvalles: This weekend (19+20 April), next weekend (26-28 April) and the following week starting on Tuesday (30 April to 5 May). Monday 29 April appears to be less busy.

The Camino delivers. There are some who insist on booking hotels that are in some trouble but since they insist on rooms in stead of a bed, so be it. I have no problems finding a bed. In Villafranca Montes de Oca tonight. Beds available at 8 PM. Stupidity and unsecurity is widespread , IMHO.
Seems it’s becoming more touristico than ever. Not a good sign. Again, IMHO.

@alexwalker, I get where you coming from and for your current situation you're obviously a hundred percent correct.

It'll be interesting to hear from people who are starting now and over the next couple of weeks, bearing in mind that supposedly that's when it gets busier.
Hi, I started from SJPDP on friday last and on reaching Roncevalles that night was told there were 200 more pilgrims than average ie 500 rather than 300 that walked that day and the same the next day I later heard. This may have been due to folk waiting for the good weather arriving Friday and Saturday. Now here in Puente del Reina, municipal full but I got bed at 2pm. Very noticeable the amount of Koreans this year due to a TV series showed on telly there late last year! This is my 15th camino in 15 years and still feel the joy.

On this day April 23rd last year I started out from SJPP. Over 400 pilgrims left that day and the two days before that. Now it seems a bit more according to posts here. I cannot imagine the numbers in 2026 when I go back. I was one of those « insecure « last year that first week and learned from it. Inexperience soon became experience thanks to helpful hints from members on this forum. For those walking now who may experience uncertainty or some level of fear, there is always a way on the Way, even if it means taking a bus or taxi backwards or forwards to get a bed and then go back where you left off. Buen Camino to all and enjoy the moments.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What is an unbookable bed! In Roncevalles? By the way, Ronce is also fully booked for tonight as we.. now, so I'm told!! Here in SJPDP its wall to wall pilgrims, so by prepared for larger numbers than last week.
I’m starting on the 7th in Burgos - is your take that there is a bit of a crowd moving into the Camino given numbers at SJPDP?

@Becky 59 and @Annw - wow snow in May....

How cold has it been getting at night with this weather? I'm starting in a bit over a week and was just planning on taking a super light (15C) sleeping bag + liner that adds about another few degrees...Need to pack warmer?

Walked the napoleon yesterday (24th). Freezing rain, gusting wind, fog so think I couldn’t see 3 meters in front of my face. The snow at Roncevalles is gone but several inches of snow still along the way. On the trail, it has turned into a deep, muddy, slushy mess that tries to suck your shoes off with each step. I could hear the falling ice hitting the hood of my raincoat the whole time. Couldn’t feel my hands. Feet were soaked.

I want to say thank you to whoever put the reflective yellow arrows on the signs because there’s no way I would have seen that tiny seashell marker in that mess. Someone at my alburge said they closed the route shortly after I started. Don’t know if that’s true, but it was absolutely horrible so I can believe it. I probably should have checked with the pilgrim office this morning…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked it in perfect conditions and really have no desire to repeat it. Yes, nice views on the Napoleon when the weather is good, but I'd rather divide the walk at Valcarlos. I'd also walk past Roncesvalles. I was originally of the mind that you had to start in SJPDP, but now I would take the convenience of starting in Pamplona.

Walked the napoleon yesterday (24th). Freezing rain, gusting wind, fog so think I couldn’t see 3 meters in front of my face. The snow at Roncevalles is gone but several inches of snow still along the way. On the trail, it has turned into a deep, muddy, slushy mess that tries to suck your shoes off with each step. I could hear the falling ice hitting the hood of my raincoat the whole time. Couldn’t feel my hands. Feet were soaked.

I want to say thank you to whoever put the reflective yellow arrows on the signs because there’s no way I would have seen that tiny seashell marker in that mess. Someone at my alburge said they closed the route shortly after I started. Don’t know if that’s true, but it was absolutely horrible so I can believe it. I probably should have checked with the pilgrim office this morning…
Thank you for your trail report. I am hospitalera in Pamplona and one of our pilgrims was deciding whether to travel to SJPP to start or to start from here in Pamplona. You clinched her decision.
BTW, consider stopping here at Betania, a new Donativo in Pamplona. We haven’t been full yet, people haven’t discovered us yet!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for your trail report. I am hospitalera in Pamplona and one of our pilgrims was deciding whether to travel to SJPP to start or to start from here in Pamplona. You clinched her decision.
BTW, consider stopping here at Betania, a new Donativo in Pamplona. We haven’t been full yet, people haven’t discovered us yet!
Thank you! I absolutely will when I get to Pamplona.

Starting from SJPP next Monday, 29th April. The weather forecast to Burgos looks like a lot of rain. What conditions have other pilgrims experienced in the past week?

Is there a consensus that it is better to start at Pamplona than SJPP next Monday 29th April? The conditions sound bad, with no view worth mentioning. Should I phone the pilgrim's office in SJPP on Sunday to check before catching the bus from Pamplona to SJPP on Monday?

€60,-
Should I phone the pilgrim's office in SJPP on Sunday to check before catching the bus from Pamplona to SJPP on Monday?
No, please don't bother them with something you can look up yourself - they're busy this time of year.
Here's where to look:

Edit: in your shoes I'd check Meteoblue from Pamplona, and if it's a rotten forecast I'd consider starting in Roncesvalles.

What can I say? You do not need to go to SJPdP. You may if you wish. It is not written in stone anywhere that it is the definitive starting point of 'The Whole Camino'.
Maybe I am wrong? I await the photo that proves the case! 😁
I add that I am sorry not to be free to hop over and say hello to the OP in Betania albergue, but I will look in and see the place next time I am in Pamplona. Hope you are enjoying it, Becky. Remember to try out at least one of the pintxos in Zanpa!

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They were very helpful when I visited last year. Also, suziBee said I probably should have checked with the pilgrim office this morning…
Yes, I stayed in Saint Jean for a bit so I had already been to the pilgrim office and didn’t go there day I started my Camino. When I was there earlier, they had monitors to keep constant check on the conditions. Several pilgrims I met at the alburge that night told me they were advised by the pilgrim office to take the Valcarlos route. That’s why I thought if I had checked in that morning, they would have told me the same. I think it would be good to stop by maybe the day before to check. You can always do the Valcarlos route if it looks bad. I understand the Napoleon was sunny and warmer not too long ago so it could be beautiful by the time you leave. Or just start in Roncesvalles as someone else mentioned.

The conditions sound bad, with no view worth mentioning. Should I phone the pilgrim's office in SJPP on Sunday to check before catching the bus from Pamplona to SJPP on Monday?

The volunteers at the busy pilgrim's office in SJPDP are primarily concerned with the welfare of the pilgrims. As has been pointed out in some recent threads, you can and should do your bit by checking the forecast all by yourself and making sure that if you are walking, you have appropriate clothing. Is the expectation of a nice view on your first day really your primary concern?

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back