• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferry to bypass Irun

Silvermomma

VP 2021 CP 2022 CF 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
VP 2021 CP 2022 CF 2023
Starting in Biarritz late April. Any thoughts on skipping Irun and taking the ferry from Hendaye to Hondarribia? - how to get back on the path. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any thoughts on skipping Irun and taking the ferry from Hendaye to Hondarribia? - how to get back on the path. Thanks!

I know that a fair number of forum members spend their first night in Hondarribia rather than IrĂșn and start walking the next morning. Hondarribia is one of those very well preserved villages with stone houses and many flowerpots, it is touristy and pretty. It is adjacent to IrĂșn, a very short bus ride or walk. Googlemaps tells me it is about 2.5 km from the IrĂșn albergue to the Hondarribia parador, which is in the middle of the village.

This set of tracks shows how you could go directly from Hondarribia to the Norte. It’s only a few kms, maybe right at the ermita? Or you could easily get from Hondarribia to IrĂșn and start there.

The coastal path from Biarritz to IrĂșn is very very pretty, though, so if you have the time you would probably enjoy it a lot. Some pictures on these GPS tracks.

This set of tracks shows how you could go directly from Hondarribia to the Norte. It’s only a few kms, maybe right at the ermita? Or you could easily get from Hondarribia to IrĂșn and start there.
It's waymarked, too. As you anticipate, the route drops you in right at the ermita. Not worth backtracking into IrĂșn, unless you want the much more budget-friendly accommodation in the albergue for the evening.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much - starting in Biarritz - was thinking to walk Biarritz - St Jean de Luz - Hendaye, then ferry to Hondarribia. I hope that is still the coastal path you're talking about?

It's waymarked, too. As you anticipate, the route drops you in right at the ermita. Not worth backtracking into IrĂșn, unless you want the much more budget-friendly accommodation in the albergue for the evening.
DAVE! Huge fan of yours, and now I see in your book exactly what I was asking, LOL.

In 2022 we started our Norte in France and walked:
  • Biarritz Airport to Bayonne (lazy afternoon walk after arriving)
  • Bayonne to GuĂ©thary (wonderful town to stay in)
  • GuĂ©thary to Hondarribia (another wonderful town to stay in)
  • Hondarribia to San Sebastion
We took the ferry across the water at Hendaye - quick, cheap, and fun! We really enjoyed starting the Norte in France and the first two days are a lovely walk before the epic day heading to San Sebastion.

As mentioned above, if you are staying in Hondarribia, you can head right for the Norte from there without having to go through Irun. You'll find Gronze, Wise Pilgrim, @Dave 's book all show how to join the Norte from Hondarribia.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks so much. Would you be able to share the next few stages you did? With all the ups and downs, I hope to stay under 22 k per day - not sure this is possible.

Biarritz to St Jean de Luz~22 km
St Jean de Luz to Hondarribia (coastal route)17.6 km
Hondarribia to Pasajes de San Juan (high route)14 km
Pasajes de San Juan to San SebastiĂĄn8 km
San SebastiĂĄn to Getaria26 km
Getaria to Ibiri Auzoa22.6 km

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know that a fair number of forum members spend their first night in Hondarribia rather than IrĂșn and start walking the next morning. Hondarribia is one of those very well preserved villages with stone houses and many flowerpots, it is touristy and pretty. It is adjacent to IrĂșn, a very short bus ride or walk. Googlemaps tells me it is about 2.5 km from the IrĂșn albergue to the Hondarribia parador, which is in the middle of the village.

The coastal path from Biarritz to IrĂșn is very very pretty, though, so if you have the time you would probably enjoy it a lot. Some pictures on these GPS tracks.
Why would you want to skip Irun.....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Why would you want to skip Irun.....
Irun to my opinion is an ugly industrial town, while Hondarribia is a lovely medieval town with historical buildings.
And 
 Hondarribia has two very good icecream parlours which offer a variety of different tastes.

When coming from Biarritz/St. Jean de Luz stay on the coastal path until reaching Hendaye beach. Follow the beach until almost reaching the river. Then turn left into one of the paths between the hotels. You‘ll find the ferry jetty in the marina. The transfer from Hendaye to Hondarribia takes about 3-5 minutes. In 2019 the ticket was about 1,80-2,00 €.
It’s not a big boat, taking around 20-25 people only.

When you zoom into the map mentioned above by peregrina2000 you‘ll see the track of the ferry.

Ultreya

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpeg
    IMG_1197.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5089.jpeg
    IMG_5089.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Irun to my opinion is an ugly industrial town,
I don’t think IrĂșn has much industry, but it is a city without much of a historic center left, the result of some major Civil War battles fought there. I have always found the people to be friendly, the food good, and the accomodations just fine, both in the albergue and the private pensiones and hotels. Hondarribia has been the beneficiary of many millions of euros for beautification and it is a very nice place to stroll around (though some may call it disneyfied a bit), but if price is a factor, there is a huge difference between the two.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I though Irun was fine, too. We happened to be there on a weekend when it seemed all the residents were enjoying a leisurely walk along the streets of the center of town.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back