Kitchens status in the Camino Frances

Ed_pjjp

Jul 18, 2022
pavia
Time of past OR future Camino
22/07/2022
Hello peregrinos from the world, I'm new here so exuse any misbehaviour and feel free to correct me when needed.
I am departing for my first camino ever in 4 days (doing the C.F. starting from Saint-Jean_pied-de-Port) and i would love to know if the kitchens in the albergues are still mainly closed due to covid or other reasons.

Reactions: MaryLynn
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Jun 1, 2015
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
Definitely need that sharp knife and often a pot or two as well. There are a number of kitchens with no or very few utensils.
Exactly. A small lightweight pot that doubles as a cup, a spork and an opinel knife and maybe a small plastic container to heat things in the microwave if that's all that is available in the kitchen.
It's not that much weight. If you use it almost daily it's worth bringing it.

The pilgrim's menu / menu del dia crowd and the ultralight hikers will say they've never needed it and it's useless weight, but if you like to prepare your own food and/or are on a tight budget, it's a good idea to bring a small "kitchen kit" like this. That way even if there's no kitchen you can prepare some cold food in the common room of the albergue, outside on the terrace, in a picknick area ect.

RJM

Veteran Member
May 10, 2017
Camino's Frances, Fisterre, Portuges. Over 180 day
Even pre pandemic albergue kitchens were always a hit and miss. Even if well equipped they could be quite busy at times with pilgrims waiting for utensils and pots pans etc while others were still in the process of using them. I never really saw them as something I could consistently rely on had it been a necessity and many a time they were so busy I said the heck with it and my albergue dinner was a sandwich and a cold beer (or two ;) ).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jul 20, 2022
texas
frances
I traveled for a while with a group that made their own community dinners. They targeted municipal albergues that did not provide dinner but often had a kitchen and eating area. Once they got a head count the head cook(s) hit grocery stores for ingredients and used the albergue's equipment (con permiso).
Sometimes, for various reasons it woulnd't work out, but dinner for maybe a dozen folks was served successfully around half the time.

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Jun 1, 2015
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
I am walking right now, and so far kitchens seem open just as they were before Covid. I don't notice any difference to 2019 to be honest. Of course that could still be different in other regions / albergues later on.

The pilgrims are definitely happy to use the kitchens. Sometimes individuals cook and sometimes as puttster described, there's a pilgrim prepared communal dinner. There was a very nice one a few days ago, cost per person only 2,50€ in the end. That really does make a huge difference for those on a budget.

Reactions: Salty and MaryLynn
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.