October 12 - Major Spanish Holiday

natefaith

Veteran Member
Aug 25, 2011
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
pilgrimhousesantiago.com
Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2014, 2017
Just a note that on Saturday, October 12, Spain will celebrate its Fiesta Nacional, one of its major holidays of the year. Many shops will be closed, so if you're out on the trail try to get groceries and supplies on Friday, as you may come up against shops and pharmacies being closed both on Saturday and Sunday.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
Just a note that on Saturday, October 12, Spain will celebrate its Fiesta Nacional, one of its major holidays of the year. Many shops will be closed, so if you're out on the trail try to get groceries and supplies on Friday, as you may come up against shops and pharmacies being closed both on Saturday and Sunday.

Buen Camino!
It is always good to check out regional and national holidays when you do a camino. Put it in your phone's calendar as a reminder so you can be prepared for food and places to sleep and not have a problem.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jul 21, 2019
USA

Buen Camino!
Thank you very much for posting. I will be arriving in Astorga on Saturday the 12th from Leon so I will definitely follow your advice to get food for the weekend unless someone feels Leon/Astorga will have options available since they are larger towns.

Reactions: natefaith

SioCamino

Apr 12, 2015
CF 2015, CPo 2016, VDLP[Sev-Các] 2017, VDLP[Các-Sal] 2018
Just to note that 12 October is a Tuesday this year. Not wholly sure how that will affect shops on the Monday but i would expect that the weekend before will be busy with people taking the "puente" off i.e. off work Sat through to Tues... So be aware on the weekend of 8th/9th/10th

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jul 21, 2019
USA
Just to note that 12 October is a Tuesday this year. Not wholly sure how that will affect shops on the Monday but i would expect that the weekend before will be busy with people taking the "puente" off i.e. off work Sat through to Tues... So be aware on the weekend of 8th/9th/10th
Thank you as I didn’t think about the weekend prior to Tuesday the 12th. I will also look into reserving lodging for those dates too.

Reactions: natefaith

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.