Past Pleasures of Urban Walking

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
The New York Times 03/11/2020 published a review by Parul Sehgal of The Walker , a new book by Matthew Beaumont who reasons "the slow death of purposeless walking as symptom of the slow death of democracy, of the human"
His is an erudite and well documented discussion of selected authors across time who found themselves by losing themselves in the delight of the then modern city.

Today such past easy meanderings as Matthew recounts seem, under the nearly universal confinement due to the Covid19 pandemic, to be impossible dreams.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Merci @mspath once again for sharing this article.
On my ever growing reading list.

This especially captured my interest.

"Borrowing from Baudelaire’s description of the flâneur as a “kaleidoscope gifted with consciousness,” Beaumont calls the distracted walker “a smartphone endowed with consciousness.”

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ernesto.IT
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
Hi everyone! I'm planning to start on the Camino de Francés, then from Léon I will walk the Camino San Salvador, then the Camino Primitivo and maybe if I have time the Camino de Fisterra. My...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.