• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plantar fasciitis.

Footslogger

Time of past OR future Camino
May 4 - May 13. Sarria to Santiago
I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the exercises. The symptoms were not worsening...until I did my first 10km pack-hike practice a couple of days ago, after having minimised my walking over the past month. Aged 73, I am generally fit, but after the practice pack-hike my heels were tender and I developed a sensitive area on the outside edge of one knee.
My question is: does anyone have any recommendation for what I should do, (1) pre-commencement? and/or (2) during the Camino, if symptoms worsen? Thank you. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the exercises. The symptoms were not worsening...until I did my first 10km pack-hike practice a couple of days ago, after having minimised my walking over the past month. Aged 73, I am generally fit, but after the practice pack-hike my heels were tender and I developed a sensitive area on the outside edge of one knee.
My question is: does anyone have any recommendation for what I should do, (1) pre-commencement? and/or (2) during the Camino, if symptoms worsen? Thank you. Buen Camino.
Sad situation. For your knee, I recommend Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets. You will notice the difference after a couple of weeks. I am also 73, completing my Camino last year in September, taking 31 days.
Next year, the Camino del Norte awaits!
Buen Camino 😎 🇳🇿🇪🇸

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My first case of PF was on the Camino del Norte. I hobbled into Santiago then 6 months of physio and cortisone injections followed before I could walk Pain-free. Since then Ive walked a few very long Caminos always in HOKA shoes (BONDI or STINSON or SPEEDGOAT depends on terrain I anticipate) with custom-made orthotics and I carry a tennis ball to practice arch massage daily. I keep my pack weight total to max 5 kg (4kg if summer weather). You may think about having your backpack transported daily - it makes a huge difference. Good luck, don’t lose faith and lighten your pack to start.

I have had PF in the past. Medical advice from professionals is always better than random folk on the internet; but since you asked …

If you’re substantially overweight, you need to sort that out.

Include calf stretches in your exercise regimen.

Do you over-pronate? Orthotics or even just supportive insoles can help.

I sympathise. PF can be excruciating.

I'm so sorry. I just developed PF in my left foot, along with tendonitis and an old Morton's Neuroma injury in my right foot. I've seen a podiatrist, done physio and acupuncture but I still can only manage 6-7km before needing to rest and massage my foot. I reckon with 5km breaks I should be able to manage the daily distances (20-25km) but I've also learned how to tape my feet for added support, added orthotics for my high arches, and purchased a shoe with stability support (Asics Kayano). I have been told to do daily calf massages and I also massage my feet using a tennis ball. I do suggest you seek medical advice, but do try some of these therapies because they may offer some relief. Get some poles. You can also have your bag transferred. Finally, I've learned from past hikes that you really should not push through the pain or you may risk longer term damage. Listen to your body, and stop when you have to. Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

I am a long time sufferer of this condition. I have tried all the exercise programs physiotherapists have given me. Nothing ever seemed to really help. Until I suddenly realised that the planter membrane itself is attached to the very rear of the heel which then attaches to the calf muscle. By incremental low level stretches of the calf, hamstrings and gluts (they’re all connected) after years of trouble with my planter fasciitis on both feet. I got control back. You have to look at all your bio mechanics. Stretches for all the leg muscle in general will help the feet. We are all unique and my solution may not help but it certainly controlled my foot pain better. I’m currently walking the Camino and I’m 59 years young.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh boy. I GOT plantar fasciitis on the Camino last year, and I wouldn't want to do anything that aggravated that! I finished June 24th. Every day my feet would hurt when I woke up in the morning, but would get better after walking around for a little while. I would just massage them periodically during the day and when I arrived somewhere to stay. I thought that when I got to Santiago and wasn't doing all this walking every day, the pain would go away.

WEEKS later, it hadn't, and I was getting frustrated because I had really wanted to keep walking a lot in my daily life after the Camino, and that just seemed ill advised with the foot pain that was going on. I read up on it and decided that I probably had plantar fasciitis, so I did stretches and things that I found online. That didn't help enough, so in around October or so I finally ended up a physical therapist's office. They confirmed my self-diagnosis and did massages and gave me more exercises. After a couple months of those appointments, it got a lot better, and they discharged me from treatment and said it would keep getting better. But lately it's gotten worse again. (Admittedly, I did back off from stretching multiple times/day once it had almost disappeared -- I need to bring that back.)

So here I am, nearing the date on which I started walking last year, and I still have plantar fasciitis as a souvenir of my Camino. I can only hope it's not permanent, but at this point, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it is going to always be with me, at least as occasional flare-ups.

I am in my 50s and not overweight. My pack was not excessively heavy, and for the couple weeks I did the Invierno at the end, I also had it transported because I wasn't up for also hauling water and food every day, along with the regular pack.

For the past several months, I've been wearing nothing but Hoka's, including to work. They're not the most professional-looking shoes and don't exactly go with my business casual attire, but I don't care. At least my feet don't hurt (or hurt as much). Oofos sandals are also really helpful. I had a pair on the Camino as my evening and shower shoes, and that was great. Now I am wearing them in the house because it hurts to walk barefooted or just in socks. They are expensive, but worth it.

Honestly, if you're having PF now, I don't think I'd do the Camino right now. It's going to get worse. Possibly a lot worse. I didn't have any additional involvement of a knee issue with it or anything like that, thank God. But I wish I didn't have this now, and I don't think I'd start a Camino with this going on.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
i can't believe it! i'm a strong walker and totally over did it. i had plantar fasciitis a few years ago and it's come back. i leave next monday! i've been doing the exercises and icing it with ice water bottle from freezer (rolling it) but look i'm going and if i need to use taxis i will. i'm still going to sit and ponder life on a grassy plain. this is all part of my camino. i'm walking sjpdp to burgos and coming back next to finish it. i will be strong and ready then but i'm strong and mentally ready now. do your best. we can share taxis maybe!!

Hi,

I am a long time sufferer of this condition. I have tried all the exercise programs physiotherapists have given me. Nothing ever seemed to really help. Until I suddenly realised that the planter membrane itself is attached to the very rear of the heel which then attaches to the calf muscle. By incremental low level stretches of the calf, hamstrings and gluts (they’re all connected) after years of trouble with my planter fasciitis on both feet. I got control back. You have to look at all your bio mechanics. Stretches for all the leg muscle in general will help the feet. We are all unique and my solution may not help but it certainly controlled my foot pain better. I’m currently walking the Camino and I’m 59 years young.
Agree with SandyBELL. "Downward facing dog" yoga pose in morning and before bedtime really did the trick stretching out muscles discussed, when I was on the camino. Also legs up the wall (side of bed) as soon as I arrived at lodging helped also.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I feel your pain!! I have been dealing with PF for a while and like everyone else do say the MDs/Physios know best - however there is a lot of conflicting information on how to treat even within the medical community - so definitely can be hard to sort it all out - but these are the things that have helped me keep walking with my pack pretty comfortably while also seeing improvement too.

-Keep up the exercises
-Stretch religiously - bottom of feet, calves, hamstrings, quads, hips and lower back.
-Massage calves and feet daily - can use hiking poles to roll out calves and feet - also a tennis ball or cork ball.
-My podiatrist recommended PowerStep brand Insoles - these made a significant difference.
-Not sure what shoes you are using - so unsure if a zero drop shoe would work, but if so - the Altra Olympus Trail (not waterproof) with the PowerSteps had zero break in time and made a huge difference. I know you leave soon - so a shoe switch might be too difficult but in case it's helpful.

PF is tough - but you can work through it effectively - Buen Camino !!

As a fellow sufferer of PF, I appreciate all the experiences and suggestions given above. I developed this problem after my first day on the CP two years ago and have been dealing with it on and off since then. Completing the CP was a real accomplishment considering that every step along The Way hurt! I had walked four Caminos previous to this with no foot problem. But, part of the culprit this time might have been that I did not wear a shoe with good support and I paid the price. Argh!

So, since then, what have I done? I have been a regular visitor to my podiatrist. Initially, cortisone shots were effective. That no longer seemed to be the case on my last visit less than two months ago.

However, custom orthotics did help. Second, he prescribed physical therapy which has helped, but not totally elevated my foot/heel pain. The stretches that I now do daily certainly help. I also ice my foot after any prolonged walking and in the evenings. But, with all this said, rest seems to be the major way my foot feels better. Unfortunately, for active people or those training for a Camino, staying off your feet is so hard to do. I’m just in from my morning dog walk. I pushed it to just under 5 miles today (usually it’s only around three). I came home limping.

At this point, I don’t think I’m up for a Camino and particularly the CF. You might want to think about doing a shorter walk or have a contingency plan on the CF if you find your PF getting worse. Right now, and this was also the recommendation of my podiatrist, I am doing more cycling than walking. No foot discomfort from that activity. I could leave today and comfortable cycle a camino, which I have done before, but walking even a relatively short one doing 12-15 miles a day would be out of the question. As was suggested above, if you do walk, consider using a transport company for your backpack.

I apologize for not being able to offer you any real solutions. I wish there were a magic pill to take care of PF, but we know there’s not. I empathize with you and wish you the very best.

I had my plantar fascitis surgically fixed. It will NEVER come back. Yeah!!!!!
(easy way out)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I struggled with PF for a couple of years. Then a podiatrist told me about the Strassburg Sock. I bought one on Amazon. I was amazed, and I'm still amazed, at the quick relief. I had remarkable improvement over a couple of nights, however I wore it for the recommended 3 weeks or so (product literature says the avg. 100% relief takes 18.5 days). That was 1.5 years ago and the problem has not returned. It's also super light so you could take with with you on the Camino and wear it overnight. Good luck, PF is No Bueno!

Strassburg Sock - BLACK, Regular Size (Measurer calf at fullest part, up to 16" is a Regular size)​

4.0 4.0 out of 5 stars 828 ratings

| Search this page

Amazon'sChoiceOverall Pick

Hi. PF hit me hard a few weeks ago. PF is where an issue manifests. I had one session with an Amatsu lady and the problem was not in my foot at all. I feel perfect again. Not sure if Amatsu is available in your area but it worked 100% for me. Liam

My husband developed bad plantar fasciitis on the camino.
It was so bad, we thought our camino was over. A kind pilgrim gave him so kinesio tape (we had to google how to use for PF), which got us to the next stop.

We changed enough to continue on:
1. Had backpacks transported daily
2. Bought more kinesio tape at a farmacia (along with buying scissors to cut it at a Chinese store)
3. Shortened our trip by taking taxi/train further along the camino
4. The taxi/train trip was a "rest" day for the PF
5. Planned much shorter walking days.

Next time, we will bring KT tape with us, plus probably other socks/sleeves or such to help PF. We will also plan shorter walking days and probably have our packs transported.

I would recommend going back to the podiatrist for more treatment, get instruction on proper technique for using KT tape for PF, take that KT tape with you, and maybe look into that Strassburg sock or other aids.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband developed bad plantar fasciitis on the camino.
It was so bad, we thought our camino was over. A kind pilgrim gave him so kinesio tape (we had to google how to use for PF), which got us to the next stop.

We changed enough to continue on:
1. Had backpacks transported daily
2. Bought more kinesio tape at a farmacia (along with buying scissors to cut it at a Chinese store)
3. Shortened our trip by taking taxi/train further along the camino
4. The taxi/train trip was a "rest" day for the PF
5. Planned much shorter walking days.

Next time, we will bring KT tape with us, plus probably other socks/sleeves or such to help PF. We will also plan shorter walking days and probably have our packs transported.

I would recommend going back to the podiatrist for more treatment, get instruction on proper technique for using KT tape for PF, take that KT tape with you, and maybe look into that Strassburg sock or other aids.
When I was stricken by PF several years ago a physio on here recommended taping - but with ‘low dye’ - non stretch - tape as opposed to the elastic KT and similar.

What you do obviously works for you, but the more rigid tape worked for me. It’s entirely possible that both do the job.

Otherwise I’m a KT fan and will stick it on most body parts whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Foot splint at night was essential when I had it. Keeps the foot from dropping flat. It's a little bulky but not too heavy. Helped 3 of my friends too. It's never returned.

I have had plantar twice. The first time was during the final two weeks of my first Camino from Malaga to Fisterra. I also had a stress fracture in my big toe.

The plantar cleared up without treatment after I finished the Camino. Took a couple of weeks.

The second time was after a later Camino. My GP gave me some exercises, mostly calf stretches, which fixed the problem fairly quickly.

And I thought it was only me!!
I'm doing all of the above too, but can more or less still manage around 24kms sin rucksack.
My biggest issue is that its too painful for me to climb those thin rungs on bunkbeds to get to the top bunk. So, I'm avoiding bunkbeds on my September camino (where I can)

I'm so sorry. I just developed PF in my left foot, along with tendonitis and an old Morton's Neuroma injury in my right foot. I've seen a podiatrist, done physio and acupuncture but I still can only manage 6-7km before needing to rest and massage my foot. I reckon with 5km breaks I should be able to manage the daily distances (20-25km) but I've also learned how to tape my feet for added support, added orthotics for my high arches, and purchased a shoe with stability support (Asics Kayano). I have been told to do daily calf massages and I also massage my feet using a tennis ball. I do suggest you seek medical advice, but do try some of these therapies because they may offer some relief. Get some poles. You can also have your bag transferred. Finally, I've learned from past hikes that you really should not push through the pain or you may risk longer term damage. Listen to your body, and stop when you have to. Good luck!
Sound advice Dee. Thank you.

I developed PF on the Portuguese. I bought gel insoles, they didn’t help. Someone had a lacrosse ball and that felt so good. I think a tennis ball would be fine, and lighter, but the rigidity of the lacrosse ball was really nice at the end of the day.

I’ve heard these arch sleeves are good: https://www.amazon.com/Support-Slee...T1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWNfYnRm&psc=1

I have one of these feet stretches and it seems to help: https://www.amazon.com/ProStretch-B...qid=1714444449&sprefix=foot+st,aps,165&sr=8-3

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

Thanks Sandy. I am doing similar exercises and hoping. All the best and buen Camino.

When I was stricken by PF several years ago a physio on here recommended taping - but with ‘low dye’ - non stretch - tape as opposed to the elastic KT and similar.

What you do obviously works for you, but the more rigid tape worked for me. It’s entirely possible that both do the job.

Otherwise I’m a KT fan and will stick it on most body parts whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Thanks Henry. Keep on stickin',

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I struggled with PF for a couple of years. Then a podiatrist told me about the Strassburg Sock. I bought one on Amazon. I was amazed, and I'm still amazed, at the quick relief. I had remarkable improvement over a couple of nights, however I wore it for the recommended 3 weeks or so (product literature says the avg. 100% relief takes 18.5 days). That was 1.5 years ago and the problem has not returned. It's also super light so you could take with with you on the Camino and wear it overnight. Good luck, PF is No Bueno!

Strassburg Sock - BLACK, Regular Size (Measurer calf at fullest part, up to 16" is a Regular size)​

4.0 4.0 out of 5 stars 828 ratings

| Search this page

Amazon'sChoiceOverall Pick
Many thanks. I did buy some PF socks from the podiatrist and think they do help. Fingers crossed.

As a fellow sufferer of PF, I appreciate all the experiences and suggestions given above. I developed this problem after my first day on the CP two years ago and have been dealing with it on and off since then. Completing the CP was a real accomplishment considering that every step along The Way hurt! I had walked four Caminos previous to this with no foot problem. But, part of the culprit this time might have been that I did not wear a shoe with good support and I paid the price. Argh!

So, since then, what have I done? I have been a regular visitor to my podiatrist. Initially, cortisone shots were effective. That no longer seemed to be the case on my last visit less than two months ago.

However, custom orthotics did help. Second, he prescribed physical therapy which has helped, but not totally elevated my foot/heel pain. The stretches that I now do daily certainly help. I also ice my foot after any prolonged walking and in the evenings. But, with all this said, rest seems to be the major way my foot feels better. Unfortunately, for active people or those training for a Camino, staying off your feet is so hard to do. I’m just in from my morning dog walk. I pushed it to just under 5 miles today (usually it’s only around three). I came home limping.

At this point, I don’t think I’m up for a Camino and particularly the CF. You might want to think about doing a shorter walk or have a contingency plan on the CF if you find your PF getting worse. Right now, and this was also the recommendation of my podiatrist, I am doing more cycling than walking. No foot discomfort from that activity. I could leave today and comfortable cycle a camino, which I have done before, but walking even a relatively short one doing 12-15 miles a day would be out of the question. As was suggested above, if you do walk, consider using a transport company for your backpack.

I apologize for not being able to offer you any real solutions. I wish there were a magic pill to take care of PF, but we know there’s not. I empathize with you and wish you the very best.
Thank you so much for your kind advice and support. I will try to do all the right things and hope I make it to SdeC intact. Thanks again and best wishes to you too.

I feel your pain!! I have been dealing with PF for a while and like everyone else do say the MDs/Physios know best - however there is a lot of conflicting information on how to treat even within the medical community - so definitely can be hard to sort it all out - but these are the things that have helped me keep walking with my pack pretty comfortably while also seeing improvement too.

-Keep up the exercises
-Stretch religiously - bottom of feet, calves, hamstrings, quads, hips and lower back.
-Massage calves and feet daily - can use hiking poles to roll out calves and feet - also a tennis ball or cork ball.
-My podiatrist recommended PowerStep brand Insoles - these made a significant difference.
-Not sure what shoes you are using - so unsure if a zero drop shoe would work, but if so - the Altra Olympus Trail (not waterproof) with the PowerSteps had zero break in time and made a huge difference. I know you leave soon - so a shoe switch might be too difficult but in case it's helpful.

PF is tough - but you can work through it effectively - Buen Camino !!
Many thanks Gini. That is very helpful advice. I think I am doing all I can to alleviate the symptoms, fingers crossed. The main thing, I think, is to be consistent with my exercise routine and hope for the best. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i can't believe it! i'm a strong walker and totally over did it. i had plantar fasciitis a few years ago and it's come back. i leave next monday! i've been doing the exercises and icing it with ice water bottle from freezer (rolling it) but look i'm going and if i need to use taxis i will. i'm still going to sit and ponder life on a grassy plain. this is all part of my camino. i'm walking sjpdp to burgos and coming back next to finish it. i will be strong and ready then but i'm strong and mentally ready now. do your best. we can share taxis maybe!!
I hope it goes well for you. You have a good attitude. Buen Camino.

Hi. My sympathies. I am 76 and just getting over 4 months of PF. Stretching, especially underfoot, and the airplus orthopaedic insoles have worked magic for me. Just done 15km hike and pain free
Thanks and good on you Graham.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh boy. I GOT plantar fasciitis on the Camino last year, and I wouldn't want to do anything that aggravated that! I finished June 24th. Every day my feet would hurt when I woke up in the morning, but would get better after walking around for a little while. I would just massage them periodically during the day and when I arrived somewhere to stay. I thought that when I got to Santiago and wasn't doing all this walking every day, the pain would go away.

WEEKS later, it hadn't, and I was getting frustrated because I had really wanted to keep walking a lot in my daily life after the Camino, and that just seemed ill advised with the foot pain that was going on. I read up on it and decided that I probably had plantar fasciitis, so I did stretches and things that I found online. That didn't help enough, so in around October or so I finally ended up a physical therapist's office. They confirmed my self-diagnosis and did massages and gave me more exercises. After a couple months of those appointments, it got a lot better, and they discharged me from treatment and said it would keep getting better. But lately it's gotten worse again. (Admittedly, I did back off from stretching multiple times/day once it had almost disappeared -- I need to bring that back.)

So here I am, nearing the date on which I started walking last year, and I still have plantar fasciitis as a souvenir of my Camino. I can only hope it's not permanent, but at this point, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it is going to always be with me, at least as occasional flare-ups.

I am in my 50s and not overweight. My pack was not excessively heavy, and for the couple weeks I did the Invierno at the end, I also had it transported because I wasn't up for also hauling water and food every day, along with the regular pack.

For the past several months, I've been wearing nothing but Hoka's, including to work. They're not the most professional-looking shoes and don't exactly go with my business casual attire, but I don't care. At least my feet don't hurt (or hurt as much). Oofos sandals are also really helpful. I had a pair on the Camino as my evening and shower shoes, and that was great. Now I am wearing them in the house because it hurts to walk barefooted or just in socks. They are expensive, but worth it.

Honestly, if you're having PF now, I don't think I'd do the Camino right now. It's going to get worse. Possibly a lot worse. I didn't have any additional involvement of a knee issue with it or anything like that, thank God. But I wish I didn't have this now, and I don't think I'd start a Camino with this going on.
Thanks AnneMarie. I hope you manage to overcome your PF longer term.

Hi,

Thanks again Sandy. I'll keep up the exercised for sure. Buen Camino.

My first case of PF was on the Camino del Norte. I hobbled into Santiago then 6 months of physio and cortisone injections followed before I could walk Pain-free. Since then Ive walked a few very long Caminos always in HOKA shoes (BONDI or STINSON or SPEEDGOAT depends on terrain I anticipate) with custom-made orthotics and I carry a tennis ball to practice arch massage daily. I keep my pack weight total to max 5 kg (4kg if summer weather). You may think about having your backpack transported daily - it makes a huge difference. Good luck, don’t lose faith and lighten your pack to start.
Many thanks Colette.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Since your pack seemed to affect it, I would send the pack ahead. And I’d get one of those small golf ball sized spikes balls and roll the bottom of your feet as often as you can, when stopping for breaks, in morning and night. You can also buy a band that goes on the arch of your foot.

dear Footslogger,

I have had PF off, but more often on, over the last two years. I have read through the responses and many may be helpful. I have tried everything suggested. The thing I have found about PF (especially from prior rounds of PF) is that it is so unpredictable. Last spring I walked from Oviedo up to the Norte and then to SdC. Terrible pain until the last four days and then it disappeared completely. Now I am on the Frances. I have been walking since 4/17. Despite stretching, taping, massaging, and anti-inflammatories, I am thinking about pausing my Camino soon. The pain has been lasting all day. I do recommend taping if someone knowledgeable can show you how. (Not sure I could explain it properly so I won’t try.) Best of luck. Buen Camino. P.s. a shot of cortisone earlier this year helped me for a month or so — not sure whether that would work for you. My doc says next step may be surgery given the duration and severity of this round of PF. I am 68 years old — two prior rounds of PF when I was younger resolved with time and stretching, etc. This round won’t quit!

Hello! I don’t know if this helps at all, but during my Camino I developed insane heel pain. It may not be PF, but I got a gel heel insert for my shoe, which seemed to help me knee pain as well, and it was like 95% of the pain instantly disappeared. Hope you’re able to find some relief :)

I developed bilateral plantar fasciitis (and Achilles tendonitis) last year on the Norte. Outstandingly awful. I did the stretches and tennis ball, but I tell you, the thing that immediately helped me was switching to shoes (thank you, Connie) with a WIDE TOE BOX!
I was more shocked that in all these years of wearing shoes and boots, I thought narrow toe box meant stiletto heels and cowboy boots. But no. Regular shoes don't (necessarily) have wide toe boxes.
Look for those truly wide toe boxes!!!

I tore my plantar fascia (partial tear) years ago. I use the FEETURES sleeve for my marathons and will take it with me for my Camino. Also once you finish your walk for the day roll out your arches with a lacrosse ball. If you have a Nalgene or hydroflask water bottle they can be used as make shift rollers. But the lacrosse ball won’t take up much room and is great to have for tight glutes or hamstrings too.

I've had PF for well over 15 years (I'm 66 years old). I developed it while running marathons. I gave up running for long-distance hiking because it's less traumatic to the feet. However, my PF limited my hiking until I found the right podiatrist that knew how to cast feet properly for custom made orthotics. My first podiatrist didn't have a clue and her expensive orthotics didn't work. After getting my first pair of orthotics from my current podiatrist, my PF pretty much went away completely within 3 months. I started feeling relief within the first week after wearing them all the time.

Unfortunately, now I'm beginning to have flare up of PF with long distance hiking. Here's a few things in order of effectiveness that help me cope with it while on the trail.

1) Bring along and sleep with a pair of lightweight PF splints. I like the Futuro brand plantar fasciitis night splint. They are a bit bulky but lightweight enough to pack and are very effective.

2) After the hike, I usually prop my feet up on a pillow and apply either Ibuprofen gel or diclofenac gel liberally to them. It helps with the inflammation and sooths the pain. Both are available in pharmacies on the Camino.

3) lately, I've had some acute pain in the left arch. I think I might have damaged or ruptured a tendon. I find that a 3/4 plantar fasciitis compression sock helps a lot. I'm hoping this issue will pass before my upcoming Camino, but the compression does help a lot. Wish I had started this treatment earlier!

4) Finally, I take Celebrex (by prescription) for arthritis joint pain. It also helps with the PF, but caution is in order when combining oral NAISIDs with topical NAISIDs (e.g., the above gels). Too much NAISIDs can thin the blood excessively and possibly cause gastric ulcers and/or bleeding. If you note any bruising or stomach upset, it's best to back off. I do this under a doctor's care.

Hope you fine one or more of these suggestions helpful! Buen Camino!!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Including myself, I have heard of a good few people are experiencing Gastrointestinal issues between Burgos and Ledigos. Anyone else find this and is the situation wider than this area.
Just spent the night in a packed 8 person room with a gentleman who was very ill and coughing all night without a mask or covering his mouth. As former healthcare provider and clinical...
Does anyone have news of the man receiving CPR on the Camino yesterday (May 4) just north of San Miguel on the way to Padron? Grateful for the many Pilgrims, including a nurse, who were helping...
There have been several threads recently about illness and safety on the Camino. I have been looking into travel insurance, as this seems to be a good idea and a reasonable precaution. I’ve...
I just finished the VdlP. 1,000km averaging 30km/day over 34 days and 2 rest days. It was challenging - blisters, foot pain and 3 days before SdC I developed shin splints but I was in good shape...
My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.