• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflection in anticipation of the Camino

CaminoDeChristiano

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022
Camino Vagabondes 2024
I'm not sure why I felt compelled to write something here though I feel as though others will relate to this. I will be leaving from Dublin via ferry to Cherbourg and walking over 1500km until I reach Santiago. This journey begins in a little over ten weeks from now and makes up the first section of a two-year career break.

I almost feel as though I've made the journey through France and Spain a dozen times in my head - imagining the things I'll see, the people I'll meet, and the emotions I'll feel. Of course, all of this is ultimately unknowable until my feet take me to those places in time - no matter how much I read and research. I'm also aware that this walk is taking more and more of my headspace as it draws closer which can make it difficult to be present at the moment.

It's a feeling I experienced waiting to complete the Camino Frances in 2022. I left Santiago then but it certainly has not left me. The anticipation to start the walk and experience that simple life again is a wonderful, frustrating, exciting, difficult to articulate feeling. I can't wait. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh the anticipation is so sweet. I look forward to hearing about your Camino version 2.0 experience! New friends, new food, new blessings? Did your familiarity with the Way of St. James open new doors?

May luck be with you on your next Camino, and your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure why I felt compelled to write something here though I feel as though others will relate to this. I will be leaving from Dublin via ferry to Cherbourg and walking over 1500km until I reach Santiago. This journey begins in a little over ten weeks from now and makes up the first section of a two-year career break.

I almost feel as though I've made the journey through France and Spain a dozen times in my head - imagining the things I'll see, the people I'll meet, and the emotions I'll feel. Of course, all of this is ultimately unknowable until my feet take me to those places in time - no matter how much I read and research. I'm also aware that this walk is taking more and more of my headspace as it draws closer which can make it difficult to be present at the moment.

It's a feeling I experienced waiting to complete the Camino Frances in 2022. I left Santiago then but it certainly has not left me. The anticipation to start the walk and experience that simple life again is a wonderful, frustrating, exciting, difficult to articulate feeling. I can't wait. Buen Camino.
What route are you taking, down to mont St Michel, are you camping

Hi @CaminoDeChristiano , I am in a similar situation. My first Camino in 2022 and are now anticipating my second Camino in 5 months.
I can relate with much that you have said: the anticipation, the joy of returning to a simpler life, the time for reflection (I meditate while walking).
I almost feel as though I've made the journey through France and Spain a dozen times in my head - imagining the things I'll see, the people I'll meet, and the emotions I'll feel.
My first Camino was nothing like I had previously planned or imagined. It was completely different and absolutely perfect. So now I am traying not to get expectations about the second Camino, and not to overthink it, in order not to get disappointed (in case I don't make the same connection nor have similar feelings as in the first Camino). But also in order to keep myself open to whatever the new Camino brings, good and not so good.

I wish you a Bueno Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @CaminoDeChristiano , I am in a similar situation. My first Camino in 2022 and are now anticipating my second Camino in 5 months.
I can relate with much that you have said: the anticipation, the joy of returning to a simpler life, the time for reflection (I meditate while walking).

My first Camino was nothing like I had previously planned or imagined. It was completely different and absolutely perfect. So now I am traying not to get expectations about the second Camino, and not to overthink it, in order not to get disappointed (in case I don't make the same connection nor have similar feelings as in the first Camino). But also in order to keep myself open to whatever the new Camino brings, good and not so good.

I wish you a Bueno Camino!
Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. I think, for me, I understand this next journey won't be like my first - although I wouldn't want it to be. My first Camino was this beautiful, difficult, maddening, and inspiring once in a lifetime experience. I'm treated this one like another one-off experience in of itself.

I will actually be volunteering at an albergue between Villafranca del Bierzo and O Cebreiro in 5 months time. Hopefully we cross paths if you're walking the Frances. Buen Camino.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. I think, for me, I understand this next journey won't be like my first - although I wouldn't want it to be. My first Camino was this beautiful, difficult, maddening, and inspiring once in a lifetime experience. I'm treated this one like another one-off experience in of itself.

I will actually be volunteering at an albergue between Villafranca del Bierzo and O Cebreiro in 5 months time. Hopefully we cross paths if you're walking the Frances. Buen Camino.
I wish you a great experience. On the Camino and as a volunteer.
I will be doing the Portuguese, senda litoral + spiritual variant, so we won't cross paths (at least not this year ;) )

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back