• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for two weeks time !

sol

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I walked a section of the camino frances last September it was tremendous and I'm itching to do more.
In true camino style I'm planning rather last minute to walk the portugese camino/ coastal route in ten days ! Starting out on the 19th April from Porto. I

Would love some thoughts/advice on the below:

- Any recommendations for unusual / special albergues along the route. I treasured staying on the frances at donativo albergues and smaller albergues with a more homely communal, atmosphere with growing gardens.
- I'll most likely book the first night only and wing it otherwise, but is this unrealistic as I know it's a busy time of year.
- Could I get away without a sleeping bag and just a liner ? it's getting hotter.
- I'll be packing gaiters for the sand/waterproofs and walking in shorts or trousers/ t-shirt, & fleece for the morning...sound about right ? Any tips from pilgrims walking would great.

Thank you all in advance this forum is the best !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I walked a section of the camino frances last September it was tremendous and I'm itching to do more.
In true camino style I'm planning rather last minute to walk the portugese camino/ coastal route in ten days ! Starting out on the 19th April from Porto. I

Would love some thoughts/advice on the below:

- Any recommendations for unusual / special albergues along the route. I treasured staying on the frances at donativo albergues and smaller albergues with a more homely communal, atmosphere with growing gardens.
- I'll most likely book the first night only and wing it otherwise, but is this unrealistic as I know it's a busy time of year.
- Could I get away without a sleeping bag and just a liner ? it's getting hotter.
- I'll be packing gaiters for the sand/waterproofs and walking in shorts or trousers/ t-shirt, & fleece for the morning...sound about right ? Any tips from pilgrims walking would great.

Thank you all in advance this forum is the best !
Following… leaving Porto on April 24…

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Albergue de Peregrinos in Porto!
Sleep & Go in Esposende.
The Albergue de Peregrinos Sao Joao dos Caminhos (Monastery).
Albergue Portela (if you don't walk the Variante Espiritual)
Albergue Milladoiro (outskirts of SdC).

HTH
Have fun!

Could I get away without a sleeping bag and just a liner ? it's getting hotter.
I’d say yes. I have never taken a sleeping bag on camino and always been fine, but I trend towards hot rather than cold at night, YMMV.

The Albergue de Peregrinos in Porto!
Sleep & Go in Esposende.
The Albergue de Peregrinos Sao Joao dos Caminhos (Monastery).
Albergue Portela (if you don't walk the Variante Espiritual)
Albergue Milladoiro (outskirts of SdC).

HTH
Have fun!
thank you roland, much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gators for the sand are a good idea but you probably only need them in a few places, depending on sand shifting.

A few albergue suggestions:
Casa de Carolina at Anha
Quinta da Quinhas at Vila Praia de Ancora (and walk up the hill to the restaurant)

Then I went inland at Caminha to Valenca and stayed at Alvorada Medeival in Sao Pedro da Torre (family run)
Casa Alternativo at Os Eidos (very homey, nice meals)
O Lugar de Jesus at Escravitude (the best communal meal!)

And a big YES to the Spiritual Variant!

My wife and I are walking this route in mid-August, and from a posting somewhere here I've taken note not to miss Praia dos Cristais de Silleiro (the crystal beach) on the littoral route as you're heading in the direction of Baiona. I've not been here before....but have read some quite enthusiastic reports that it's worth a visit (if you're into crystals on beaches that is). Buen Camino.

Gators for the sand are a good idea but you probably only need them in a few places, depending on sand shifting.

Casa de Carolina at Anha
Quinta da Quinhas at Vila Praia de Ancora (and walk up the hill to the restaurant)

Then I went inland at Caminha to Valenca and stayed at Alvorada Medeival in Sao Pedro da Torre (family run)

I loved Casa de Carolina - such an understated place, with good energy!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Casa de Carolina at Anha

amazing thanks arlene

@sol , you might want to pm @Cheryl2445 about clothing, she and her daughter are on the trail right now. She won’t be able to help with the Albergue questions, as they’re staying private.
Her thread is very entertaining!

Thread 'Here we goooo!'
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/here-we-goooo.85880/

Bom Caminho!

EDITED to add: a friend of mine is leading a group on the CP too, they’ve had a moderate amount of rain and cooler weather.
ZERO bookings, zero problems with accommodation - and that’s with a group of 7, staying I believe solely in Albergues

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@sol , you might want to pm @Cheryl2445 about clothing, she and her daughter are on the trail right now. She won’t be able to help with the Albergue questions, as they’re staying private.
Her thread is very entertaining!

Thread 'Here we goooo!'
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/here-we-goooo.85880/

Bom Caminho!

EDITED to add: a friend of mine is leading a group on the CP too, they’ve had a moderate amount of rain and cooler weather.
ZERO bookings, zero problems with accommodation - and that’s with a group of 7, staying I believe solely in Albergues
Thank you Peter, that's helpful to know.

Hi -On the CP right now, doing mostly Coastal and Senda Littoral......in Vigo this evening. It has been very warm with the exception of first night out of Porto (April 7th). Packed all my rain gear and coats away. I have been walking with merino T-shirt for the past 6 days. Bring sunscreen, big hat. I find it quite humid so change of socks and shirts. Enjoy!

Hi -On the CP right now, doing mostly Coastal and Senda Littoral......in Vigo this evening. It has been very warm with the exception of first night out of Porto (April 7th). Packed all my rain gear and coats away. I have been walking with merino T-shirt for the past 6 days. Bring sunscreen, big hat. I find it quite humid so change of socks and shirts. Enjoy!
Thanks CalgaryLynn - I am finalizing my packing for the same route w spiritual variant- w an April27 start! Will remove the second pair of zip off pants and add another quick dry T! Have you had fog as that’s when my wool long sleeve would be needed? Jen Frm BC

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks CalgaryLynn - I am finalizing my packing for the same route w spiritual variant- w an April27 start! Will remove the second pair of zip off pants and add another quick dry T! Have you had fog as that’s when my wool long sleeve would be needed? Jen Frm BC
Hi - A wool long sleeve or something long sleeve that won't absorb moisture will be good for evenings, still gets a little chilly. Foggy only one day. I am on the Espiritual Variante right now and still wearing merino T's and zip off pants. Start mornings with a light cover up, my rain jacket is too much with the amount of humidity, I just sweat in it....need something that will provide some warmth but not provide more moisture.

Casa de Carolina at Anha

Hello! Hola! Ola! I’m wondering if any of the above mentioned places provide private rooms with bedding? I would love to stay in an Alberg with my 9yo but am weary of not having privacy, and also, we’re not traveling with bedding. Thx!!

Casa de Carolina at Anha

I agree with several of these!! Casa de Carolina and Quinta da Quinhas were both great, as well as O Lugar de Jesus.

Another suggestion is La Cala Inn, in Oia. Amazing location on the coast and next to the monastery, and Tanya is a fabulous and generous host who prepared such an amazing evening meal... for me this is a must stay! It's about 15/16km after you cross from Portugal into Spain https://lacalainn.com/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi - A wool long sleeve or something long sleeve that won't absorb moisture will be good for evenings, still gets a little chilly. Foggy only one day. I am on the Espiritual Variante right now and still wearing merino T's and zip off pants. Start mornings with a light cover up, my rain jacket is too much with the amount of humidity, I just sweat in it....need something that will provide some warmth but not provide more moisture.
Thank you so much! Will keep in my merino long sleeve hoodie! 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...
Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back