• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wanting to get back on the trail, but knee issues

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here, but happy to be back. I hiked about 100 miles in 2015, loved it, and the Camino got into me and became part of me. That pilgrimage resulted in a gigantic bone spur on my ankle that had to be surgically removed, resulting from a 30+ year old childhood injury. All good now with the ankle, no worries there now and forever. Peroneal tendon resected, in place, tightened up, bone spur removed, strength returned in record time.

Then in 2021, I went back, hiked another 100 miles, but had more issues, this time, with a rib dislocating from my spine -- heard and felt the THUNK as it popped out. Fortunately I had a tennis ball with me, so I rolled on the floor, popped it mostly back in, but then changed my ticket and came home. I wasn't sure if my initially fluent Spanish could be understood, or if chiropractors in Spain would speak enough English. I was sore, in pain, and just tired, totally done with my Camino at that point.

And then, after I was home, one morning, my knee just wouldn't hold me. All okay overall now, but that was and is the weakest spot in my body. In the 90s, I had two operations, one to put the kneecap on straight (I have subluxation issues), and both times to get out osteoarthritis. All of this in my 20s. I walked around for over 30 years (I'm 56 now) and no issues. However, on the 2021 Camino, I carried too much. and my knee just couldn't take it, carrying my own overweight body around, plus a backpack. It's taken more than a year for me to get back to being able to walk around mostly normally. Fortunately, my orthopedist said no other operation needed; the knee is attached well, and it was just a strain, so RICE was all that was called for. I go regularly to my chiropractor, who put me in a Knee-on-Trac machine to help restore extension.

My question to the forum is this: after a year of mostly not exercising, babying my knee, and taking literal and figurative baby steps to get my steps back, I need a plan of action if I'm going to make it back on the trail. I've been in gyms over 20 years, so I know my way around. How long do y'all think it'll take me to get back in reasonable shape? And is it realistic to carry my bag, or should I go for bag transport? I'm heavily leaning to bag transport and just carrying a day pack. I know some people highly advocate for carrying your own bag, but I dont' want to suffer. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Katie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow -I’m lost for words. You have given it everything.
, or should I go for bag transport? I'm heavily leaning to bag transport and just carrying a day pack.
I think this is the safest way. I’m like you- I’d prefer to carry my own pack if possible but it’s more important for you I think., to give your poor body some help … don’t over stress it this camino. I see that you are very strong and ‘soldier on’ but for this return camino after everything that has popped up or (popped out) ; I think you should see how you get through this one just enjoying the walk with a day pack.

Edit: I do hope you’ll be near someone else on this walk. Even if you want to walk alone .. someone nearby who knows your fitness and lend a hand if needed.
Buen camino.

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here, but happy to be back. I hiked about 100 miles in 2015, loved it, and the Camino got into me and became part of me. That pilgrimage resulted in a gigantic bone spur on my ankle that had to be surgically removed, resulting from a 30+ year old childhood injury. All good now with the ankle, no worries there now and forever. Peroneal tendon resected, in place, tightened up, bone spur removed, strength returned in record time.

Then in 2021, I went back, hiked another 100 miles, but had more issues, this time, with a rib dislocating from my spine -- heard and felt the THUNK as it popped out. Fortunately I had a tennis ball with me, so I rolled on the floor, popped it mostly back in, but then changed my ticket and came home. I wasn't sure if my initially fluent Spanish could be understood, or if chiropractors in Spain would speak enough English. I was sore, in pain, and just tired, totally done with my Camino at that point.

And then, after I was home, one morning, my knee just wouldn't hold me. All okay overall now, but that was and is the weakest spot in my body. In the 90s, I had two operations, one to put the kneecap on straight (I have subluxation issues), and both times to get out osteoarthritis. All of this in my 20s. I walked around for over 30 years (I'm 56 now) and no issues. However, on the 2021 Camino, I carried too much. and my knee just couldn't take it, carrying my own overweight body around, plus a backpack. It's taken more than a year for me to get back to being able to walk around mostly normally. Fortunately, my orthopedist said no other operation needed; the knee is attached well, and it was just a strain, so RICE was all that was called for. I go regularly to my chiropractor, who put me in a Knee-on-Trac machine to help restore extension.

My question to the forum is this: after a year of mostly not exercising, babying my knee, and taking literal and figurative baby steps to get my steps back, I need a plan of action if I'm going to make it back on the trail. I've been in gyms over 20 years, so I know my way around. How long do y'all think it'll take me to get back in reasonable shape? And is it realistic to carry my bag, or should I go for bag transport? I'm heavily leaning to bag transport and just carrying a day pack. I know some people highly advocate for carrying your own bag, but I dont' want to suffer. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Katie

Katie,

Transport your bag.

While on camino, you neither have anything to prove nor validate to anyone but yourself.

Ask your chiropractor for conditioning advice in preparation for the way.

Hope you’re back on track to Santiago as soon as possible.

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i've also been injured on the camino (500miles) and it has been a two year ordeal of trying to get back to the point where I can walk again. if I go back, I would never want to transport my bag to be tied to having to be at a certain place, but will simply take a super minimal amount and carry a very, very small pack- it can be done! you might want the flexibility to stop earlier than where your bag is sent.

well, good luck! since you know sort of what to expect, just try walking longer and longer distances at home and see what happens. I may never be able to do it again, but I got so much of what I needed and wanted out of the first one and was able to finish it despite the injuries, if I can't make it, I won't feel too bad about it as it totally fulfilled me. it was worth the 2years snd counting of repair work. i havent given up the idea of returning yet though!

as sn alternative, there's always volunteering to help at an albergue or pilgrim office sonewhere! whatever hapoens-buen camino to you!

Quite an impressive story of determination and resistance.

And is it realistic to carry my bag, or should I go for bag transport?
The only reason for not having bag transport is if you want the freedom to stop when you feel like it. Otherwise, do what you feel like, and listen to your body. Besides bag transport, you have other options (non-exclusive) that can help you:
- Shorter stages
- Reduce backpack to a minimum (you can send a bag ahead to Casa Ivar in Santiago with the things that you might need for after the Camino)
- Take a bus / taxi-Camino in the stretches that are more demanding
- Choose a Camino with less hiking
- Do the Camino with someone that can help you / share the weight

My advice: don't postpone until you have all the ideal conditions.
Listen to your orthopedist / chiropractor, and if they say you are good to go, just do it.

I hope you make it. Bueno Camino

My advice is more than simple. No one but an orthopedic physician who has done the necessary tests and diagnosis should be giving you advice about how well your knee or back will hold up. You should also describe the different walking challenges such as road walking, areas of the Camino that are extremely rocky, that may include the many steep uphills and downhills, use of walking poles, physical therapist or the doctor for the proper training and stretching that will help with your particular issues. The discussion of baggage transportation is a legitimate conversation to have. Just my advice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I dont know... the 3 strikes and you're out comes to mind but.... if we skip here on the superstition and go to your question then yes by all means utilize the transport and walk with only light backpack (water, perhaps 1 change of clothes and light at that, towel and maybe some snacks)
If you have not used them I would strongly recommend poles!

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Hi, I have knee issues, two surgeries prior to the Camino and once since, and then another Camino. For my first Camino I got some injections in my knee, stem cell or something like that, not cheap but definitely worth it if you can afford it. I also wore neoprene knees sleeves on both knees. Carrying my pack never hurt my knees, more so my feet, but perhaps transport would be the best choice for you.

And then, after I was home, one morning, my knee just wouldn't hold me. All okay overall now, but that was and is the weakest spot in my body. In the 90s, I had two operations, one to put the kneecap on straight (I have subluxation issues), and both times to get out osteoarthritis. All of this in my 20s. I walked around for over 30 years (I'm 56 now) and no issues. However, on the 2021 Camino, I carried too much. and my knee just couldn't take it, carrying my own overweight body around, plus a backpack. It's taken more than a year for me to get back to being able to walk around mostly normally.
With the difference that my knees gave out when I was in my 40s, I've had similar experience.

It took me about a year just to get back to hobbling about, including about 4-6 months of physiotherapy, then a year of training with knee braces between 2013 and 2014 to get back to being capable of a Camino.

I'd say that the Camino purpose really helped motivate the effort of it.

I used knee braces with metal support, and they really helped -- my knees suddenly got a lot better at Lourdes when I started out from there on my 2014, so that they ended up in my backpack, and I've not used them since, but that's not necessarily something that's guaranteed on that particular pilgrimage ; not everyone gets that sort of healing.
I'd say, rather than the gym, the way to prep for a hike is by walking. Of course you can do both -- but walking builds up the specific strengths that you need for a hike, that gym sessions might not.

I don't know how much free time you have during the week, but if possible, I'd recommend about 3 or 4 training hikes every week, at least 15K/10 miles, and sometimes 25K or more if you can manage it. Best not to do that with a heavy pack !! Also, select a training route close to public transport back home in case of problems. Also best to select a route for those purposes with spots or places where you can stop for rests or even refreshments -- it's meant to be about getting back into better health and strength, not about punishing yourself !! (your knees will do that for you regardless)

From all that you should work out what a reasonable K/day pace should be in your current health situation. If you get to the point of being confident that you can reliably manage 15K to 25K /day **without** a heavy pack, then you're ready enough.

There's a pain management aspect to walking a Camino in such conditions, a lot of which is psychological -- at the outset, realise that the pain is unavoidable, so how to deal with it ? And realising that's a technical question, not an emotional one.

Rest days and slow days then become a part of the basic hiking regimen. So don't try and keep up with any predetermined schedule nor with the other pilgrims, but keep your time frame flexible, don't pre-book a return date, and accept that you'll be slower than the other pilgrims. And at the start, that you have no idea how long it will take you to finish. Yes that does all lead to a more solitary Camino -- but then all of those weekly training hikes alone do also help prep you for that aspect of things.

As to carrying your pack or not, that still remains personal choice, at least on those Camino Ways that have pack transport. Most of my walking is not on those routes, or rather only partly on them, so I've no choice but to carry -- and I'd say that injury avoidance is vital.

I use army boots that I can strap up if I should twist my ankle. and as I said, during training for my 2014 Camino, I used the type of knee braces I mentioned -- they keep your knees warm which helps cartilage function ; and they keep your knees in a better position, improving function, distributing some weight away from the knees, and helping prevent twisting and hurting the knees.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona...
There have been several threads recently about illness and safety on the Camino. I have been looking into travel insurance, as this seems to be a good idea and a reasonable precaution. I’ve...
I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
Buen Camino all! I completed my first Camino a couple of weeks ago, from Valenca to Santiago, aprox 124km. Had the most fantastic experience and cannot overestimate how worthwhile it was. The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.