• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 Australians

Rellimgreg

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 2018
Muxia 2018
Fisterra 2018
Del Norte march 2019
We are doing the French Way starting 8 March from SJPP.
Wondering about a sim card? Any advice welcome.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I usually order mine online and get them sent to me a couple of weeks before departure.
Lots of options available. You have time to get them sent to you.
Or pick one up on arrival........ Depending where you fly in to.

If flying into Madrid there is often a Lebara kiosk in T4 - but I was not terribly happy with that on the last trip. There is also an Orange store on the top level of T4 and that is where I'll get mine next time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought one from a typical phone shop cum shoe repair service in a seedy part of Barcelona :) . The young man spoke excellent English and fitted it for me . Local calls are very cheap in Spain , just remember you will be in Spain for much longer than in France . No matter what cross border convention there is it seems to me that Spanish Sims work better in Spain . I found it difficult to get a plan that will also allow international voice calls . This is easily fixed by using Whatsapp video calls messaging and voice calls all for data cost only .

Buen Camino

Hi! If you could wait til Pamplona you can by it easily there. Different companies offers different coverages so check it out before. I would say movistar/orange is the best.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I never use a phone. Just use my IPhone for photos and wifi. If you want to book accomodation it's a problem but I have have never booked ahead on any of my 6 Caminos....I just walk until it's time to stop.

Buen Camino
I only use my phone for the odd days I cannot get wifi as I use viber to talk to my wife or text (its free and reliable) and when needed I use $5 a day vodafone roaming, when do you start your walk I will be in SJPP on the 14th. Apollo Bay Australia my 4th walk.

I only use my phone for the odd days I cannot get wifi as I use viber to talk to my wife or text (its free and reliable) and when needed I use $5 a day vodafone roaming, when do you start your walk I will be in SJPP on the 14th. Apollo Bay Australia my 4th walk.
For 5€ you can get a SIM and a month of data.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For 5€ you can get a SIM and a month of data.
I used a sim last time it was not that reliable and after my first walk with no phone and 8 days in intensive care in Santiago its the only must my wife insist on....

As long as I am on the road walking to Santiago I would use a pidgeon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walked CF last year, starting at SJPP. Intended to get a SIM card for the data rather than the phone as I had a tablet, and then more to keep in touch with family via social media than by phone. I had not planned on booking accommodation ahead and I had an app on the tablet which showed the path of the CF on satellite image for navigation purposes. This app did not require phone access and got me out of trouble a couple of times when I strayed from the path I wanted.

Tried getting a SIM card in SJPP - the Orange shop "could get one sent in in about three days..." - a phone card was readily available but not a phone/data card. Unfortunately, not much use to me as I was leaving the next day.

As matters turned out, I found that almost every albergue I stopped at had free wifi - the only issues I had were no wifi or limited bandwidth at some municipal/faith-based establishments - the world continued to spin on its axis despite this. In addition, many bars also advertised free wifi. I managed to keep a current log of my travels on social media for the information/amusement of the folks at home.

Doing it all again in 2018? - I would be more inclined to get a phone/data card in Paris on way to SJPP to facilitate booking accomodation ahead, although booking ahead every night seems to be a bit excessive. Plan B - get one in Pamplona (as many on this forum have suggested).

That said - walking unplugged is not life threatening and for some can be an invaluable part of the camino experience (learning what you can really do without, and dealing with each days' challenges as they arise).

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back