• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

28 year Canadian - First time Canadian to walk Camino

AbbyGoodwin

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to start and walk the Camino June 2
Walked from Santiago de Compostela - Fisterra (2017)
Good morning!

I am a 28-year-old female who is need of a break between living in Egypt and moving back to Canada. The Camino has significance to my family and I am looking forward to starting my journey. I am planning on arriving in St Jean de Pied Port the end of May and start walking (solo) on June 2 or 3.

I am completely overwhelmed with trying to plan this trip, especially from Cairo as its hard to find quality gear and impossible to get things imported.

However, I am looking forward to sifting through the forums to get some answers. I would love to chat with any other single female walkers, in terms of safety, and would love tips for best gear to get. I also have questions about shipping bags through to Santiago de Compostela, sending a bag forward each day, what to pack, booking alburges and so much more! So any information pertaining to this time of the year, the walk itself, gear ... anything.. would be helpful and appreciated!

Abby Goodwin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, Abby, and welcome to the website.

As you can see, I am not a female Walker, but I can give some advice on luggage transfer!

To send luggage direct from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela, try Express Bourricot (they are useful for other things too, such as transfers from Biarritz airport to St Jean Pied de Port)

To transfer luggage from one overnight stop to other, from Roncesvalles onwards (Express Bourricot can take it from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles) have a look at the highly recommended Spanish postal service, Correos.

You will meet many other similar female walkers, both on this website and on the Camino itself. They will be a mine of useful information.

Come back to this site any time for information: there's always lots of people only too willing to help.

Enjoy the planning (but don't overdo it) and have a great time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a store in Saint Jean Pied de Port very close to the pilgrim's office that has everything you would need for a trek on the Camino, and good quality. So, in theory, you could get some hiking shoes or boots, break them in, travel to Saint Jean Pied de Port, get your credential at the pilgrim's office, get outfitted at this store, and then make your way to Santiago de Compostela.

Buen Camino!
--jim--

Hi Abby,
Planning is a lot of fun. I am a visual person so I look what pictures of the Camino I like. For me it’s the sea.
For you maybe green Forrest after such a long time in a desert area?
How long time do you have?
How is your budget?
Is it important to reach Santiago?
How much time do you give yourself your body to acclimate yourself?
Is starting in a relatively warm or hot area and the going towards the cooler north an option?
Then you decide which Camino you want to walk. The the stops. Maybe slowly increasing your distances. Then you almost there.
I think for me was only the walked in shoes a must. I decided from early on if my package gets lost or stolen- not that it happened- I would have enough funds for a simple gear. And needs be with my parero a bottle of water continue my walk. There are a lot of gear advise here and packing list and a lot of YouTube videos.
I enjoyed Lindsey Cowie tips and Count everything’s . So have fun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Abby, I have walked 2 times by myself and found it perfectly safe, you will meet up with people along the way that you can walk with if you choose or meet them at the next stop but you will not be alone unless you want to be. I prefer to walk alone and meet up along the stops. You can buy gear in St Jean PD or anywhere. However with the Canadian Dollar being like the Aussie it’s cheaper to buy in Canada. Just don’t pack too much, just necessities you can always buy along the way if you run out of stuff. Keep your backpack as light as possible.
You will love the Camino!

For discussions among women pilgrims, there is a FB page Camigas which, I am told (it's a private group and, as a male-identified person, I've not asked to be admitted!) is very helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.