• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on walking Le Puy to Cahors in April

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
God permitting, I plan to travel to Le Puy on Saturday 13 April, walk to Cahors (via the Célé variant) and on Tuesday 30 April take the train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, to continue along the Camino francés.

I have walked many of the Caminos in Spain but this will be my first walk in France and I would appreciate some advice and input from those of you who have experience of the Voie du Puy.

First of all, is it really necessary to book in advance all of my stopovers from Le Puy to at least Conques? I would have thought that walking after the Easter holidays and before the long weekends of the month of May it would not be necessary, but many posters warn future walkers to reserve in advance.

Secondly, from the many threads I have read here on the forum and from studying Gronze's pages devoted to the Voie du Puy, would I be right in saying that as regards accommodation, you have to choose, most nights, between the comfort of a single room in a chambre d’hôte or a communal meal in a gîte?

To choose places to sleep, I have noted the many accommodation recommendations made in various threads in this forum, though some of them are quite old. I will also take account of the recommendations on Gronze. Various posters have praised the gîtes listed on the Haltes vers Compostelle site. Is there any other source of recommendations that I am missing? I am not looking for lists of accommodation (like MMDD or Dave’s very comprehensive spreadsheet)) but for recommendations.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First of all, is it really necessary to book in advance all of my stopovers from Le Puy to at least Conques?
On April, I recommend to book in advance: all the gites are not yet opened.
Furthermore, take care that the Aubrac could be quite cold, and quite empty (no cows yet, few pilgrims...).
However, I am sure you will enjoy your camino. Do not miss the daily blessing in Le Puy Cathedral, at 7 am, before starting.

Great resource for all your questions, in English.

Bon chemin!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The main reason for reserving at least a day in advance is so Madame has a headcount when buying groceries for dinner. Because the communal meal in the gite is very often one's only choice for dinner. What's not to like about French cooking?

The gite rooms usually only sleep 2-6, not the dozens one finds in Spain. And chambre d'hote can often be twice the price.

Spain is not France. https://kitsambler.wordpress.com/2023/01/07/le-puy-route-is-not-camino-frances/

God permitting, I plan to travel to Le Puy on Saturday 13 April, walk to Cahors (via the Célé variant) and on Tuesday 30 April take the train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, to continue along the Camino francés.

I have walked many of the Caminos in Spain but this will be my first walk in France and I would appreciate some advice and input from those of you who have experience of the Voie du Puy.

First of all, is it really necessary to book in advance all of my stopovers from Le Puy to at least Conques? I would have thought that walking after the Easter holidays and before the long weekends of the month of May it would not be necessary, but many posters warn future walkers to reserve in advance.

Secondly, from the many threads I have read here on the forum and from studying Gronze's pages devoted to the Voie du Puy, would I be right in saying that as regards accommodation, you have to choose, most nights, between the comfort of a single room in a chambre d’hôte or a communal meal in a gîte?

To choose places to sleep, I have noted the many accommodation recommendations made in various threads in this forum, though some of them are quite old. I will also take account of the recommendations on Gronze. Various posters have praised the gîtes listed on the Haltes vers Compostelle site. Is there any other source of recommendations that I am missing? I am not looking for lists of accommodation (like MMDD or Dave’s very comprehensive spreadsheet)) but for recommendations.

Hi,
Be aware of the spring holidays in France:
They are mostly in the second half of april
Buen camino!

I stayed exclusively in Gites and loved the experience, including the communal meals which were wonderful. We booked ahead, but only one day at a time, and it was to be sure of a bed and to let the hosts know so they could plan the food accordingly. I walked the month of June as far as Auvillar.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I've have walked this Camino twice, most recently in the beginning of Sept 2022 when a lot of pilgrims start walking. I never pre booked any accommodation and I never had any difficulty finding a place to stay!! On occasion I booked a day ahead. As you will be starting in April you will have no difficulty finding accommodation as there will be less pilgrims.
In April expect more rain and as the elevations are higher, especially in the Aubrac around Nasbinal, cooler temps. This area is also exposed to the elements but, in my opinion, one of the most peaceful and spectacular along the trail!
Bon Camino!!

Last edited:

as for recommendations, the answer is no I don’t think so [you haven’t missed other sources] ... are you wanting accomm. recommendations for every village / town / hamlet from Le Puy-en-Velay to Cahors?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Demi-Pensión is a must really.
Don’t worry too much about recommendations, wherever you stay is very likely to be good.
The communal meals are great.
Bunk beds are a rarity.
If you want to try somewhere special, this place is great. New last year, Owned by a Michelin starred chef and his wife, who have decided to live a different style of life.
It is about 2 hours after Conques. So if you want to stay in Conques then it probably won’t suit. But, i think Conques can be visited without the need to stay.

Thank you all for taking time to share your experience and advice with me! If I have not reacted sooner, it is because I wanted to get my ideas straight before replying.

I have in the meantime read the many threads on the forum on this subject. I now understand better the nature of the Voie du Puy, its specific challenges and the ways in which it will be a very different experience from walking in Spain.

I tend to agree with those of you who argue that there will not be too many pilgrims in April, on account of the cool and wet spring weather to be expected.

I am grateful to Beliperegrina for drawing my attention to the school holidays in April but I am counting on the parents of school-going children not wanting to "randonner" with their family at that time of year. My understanding is further that the majority of walkers are retired.

Nevertheless, I am going to book all ten nights from Le Puy to Conques in the coming days, just to be on the safe side. Once on the Way, I can if necessary adapt my bookings to take account of the weather and the difficulty of the stages. After Conques, I will reserve just a day or two in advance.

Despite having reached a venerable age, my doctor considers me very fit for my age and I am already preparing for the ups and downs of the Voie (in particular wall squats and walking up and down the stairs to and from our 4th. storey flat).

In reply to BlackRocker57 and others, I have MMDD and Dave’s spreadsheet. My task now is to select from their comprehensive lists the best accommodation. By "best", I mean gîtes and CH which are especially comfortable, offer excellent demi-pension cooking and where I can if possible have a room to myself. I don’t mind walking in the rain, cold and snow, as long as I know I will end up with a tasty hot supper and a good bed.

I am of course looking forward to the camaraderie of the shared evening meals.

To whittle my choice down to manageable proportions, I will base myself on the Haltes vers Compostelle list, the recommendations of Gronze and the many suggestions made by former pilgrims, including yourselves, in the threads on this subject. Further recommendations, especially if recent, will always be welcome!

Once again, thank you all very much for your help! You will be in my prayers as I walk!

Thank you all for taking time to share your experience and advice with me! If I have not reacted sooner, it is because I wanted to get my ideas straight before replying.

I have in the meantime read the many threads on the forum on this subject. I now understand better the nature of the Voie du Puy, its specific challenges and the ways in which it will be a very different experience from walking in Spain.

I tend to agree with those of you who argue that there will not be too many pilgrims in April, on account of the cool and wet spring weather to be expected.

I am grateful to Beliperegrina for drawing my attention to the school holidays in April but I am counting on the parents of school-going children not wanting to "randonner" with their family at that time of year. My understanding is further that the majority of walkers are retired.

Nevertheless, I am going to book all ten nights from Le Puy to Conques in the coming days, just to be on the safe side. Once on the Way, I can if necessary adapt my bookings to take account of the weather and the difficulty of the stages. After Conques, I will reserve just a day or two in advance.

Despite having reached a venerable age, my doctor considers me very fit for my age and I am already preparing for the ups and downs of the Voie (in particular wall squats and walking up and down the stairs to and from our 4th. storey flat).

In reply to BlackRocker57 and others, I have MMDD and Dave’s spreadsheet. My task now is to select from their comprehensive lists the best accommodation. By "best", I mean gîtes and CH which are especially comfortable, offer excellent demi-pension cooking and where I can if possible have a room to myself. I don’t mind walking in the rain, cold and snow, as long as I know I will end up with a tasty hot supper and a good bed.

I am of course looking forward to the camaraderie of the shared evening meals.

To whittle my choice down to manageable proportions, I will base myself on the Haltes vers Compostelle list, the recommendations of Gronze and the many suggestions made by former pilgrims, including yourselves, in the threads on this subject. Further recommendations, especially if recent, will always be welcome!

Once again, thank you all very much for your help! You will be in my prayers as I walk!
@eamann I have a comprehensive curated list of charming, comfortable and hiker-friendly accommodations for the GR65 Via Podiensis [plus other relevant information such as prices €, accurate distances between villages and metres of ascent and descent so that you can use as a planning document] many of which I have personally stayed at ... plus another comprehensive list of all the places where I have stayed on this route over the last ten years ... more than 130 of them ... if you are interested please PM me and I will send to you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@eamann I have a comprehensive curated list of charming, comfortable and hiker-friendly accommodations for the GR65 Via Podiensis [plus other relevant information such as prices €, accurate distances between villages and metres of ascent and descent so that you can use as a planning document] many of which I have personally stayed at ... plus another comprehensive list of all the places where I have stayed on this route over the last ten years ... more than 130 of them ... if you are interested please PM me and I will send to you
Good day
Me and my friend will be walking the Le Puy Camino starting in Le Puy from 26 May and end in Moissac on 16 June 2024.
Please can you send me the list of accommodation for the GR65 Via Podiensis ?
Doreen Schmidt
South Africa

Good day
Me and my friend will be walking the Le Puy Camino starting in Le Puy from 26 May and end in Moissac on 16 June 2024.
Doreen Schmidt
South Africa
please PM me Doreen ...

Good day
Doreen Schmidt
South Africa
Bonjour Doreen, please PM me and I will send to you ...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am interested in this listing but don't know how to PM you. Can you tell me how to do that?
Thanks,

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back