• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

albergue in Ocebreiro

bpondugula

Good evening everybody

I just saw on TV Galicia (on satellite in the Netherlands), the new / modernised albergue in Ocebreiro. Last March, they were still busy completing it. It looks beautiful , spik and span.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Still a construction site in June

I stayed there in June and it was still not finished. We slept in construction site metal cabins. The toilets/showers were in a separate metal cabin. There was lots of noise from a jackhammer most of the afternoon.

There was no charge for the accomodation when I stayed.

It was raining and not very comfortable, so I suggested in an earlier post (a few weeks ago) that pilgrims stop at La Faba instead.

Regards

Bob M

I heard it was loud and busy and a place to avoid! La Faba, 5k down the hill is rather nice, if not a little basic.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wish I could figure out how to embed a photo here. I have a great shot of the O'Cebrero Atco site cabins.

Can anyone tell me how to include a pic in a post? I've seen it done ages ago (shots of boots in that case), so presumably it is possible. Maybe you need to upload from a website with the "URL" thingy - not from a computer.

Regards

Bob M

bpondugula said:
Good evening everybody

I just saw on TV Galicia (on satellite in the Netherlands), the new / modernised albergue in Ocebreiro. Last March, they were still busy completing it. It looks beautiful , spik and span.

The albergue where I stayed in O'Cebreiro in Nov 2005 was large, heated, clean, quite modern. As I recall it was slightly beyond the village and perhaps slightly higher than it. Am I to understand that it was demolished for a newer one or was it perhaps just renovated? As I vaguely recall, I would not think it would require the cash outlay for either of the possibilities.

I do remember using the pay phone booth just outside the building the evening I was there. I also remember it was quite cold and was snowing slightly with a wet mixture of snow and sleet, and the hot fire warming the bar just down the hill from the albergue was particularly welcome.

I don't think I would have changed any of it.

BobM said:
Maybe you need to upload from a website with the "URL" thingy - not from a computer.

You are right Bob, you must use a URL to get the image embedded in your text. Failing this, if you have a good image to share, send it to the photo album and tell us you did so, we'll run to have a look at it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thx to Ulysse re the tip on photos. I will give that a go.

Regards

Bob M

The building shell is still there as John says, but all the inside has been torn down - at least that is what appears to be happening by looking in.

The renovations seem to be on quite a grand scale. Beats me why - unless the data shows lots of people are saying there. Lots of tourists go to the village by bus etc. I will try to post a pic.

Lots of people arriving after 3 pm had no place to stay anywhere in the village, but were not allowed to sleep on the floor of the building shell.

Regards
Bob M

Ruitelan - 7 km short of O,Cebreir

I stayed in Ruitelan earlier this year. It is around 7 km short of O,Cebreiro. It was run by a fantastic guy named Carlos (click this link for a picture of Carlos at his albergue. He is on the left, me on the right. http://www.imagestation.com/8639097/3906024116 . (Aafter 8 February 2008 - use this link instead http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... zVq2cN2Lkw ) I think it cost just 5 Euros for a bed. We had dinner and breakfast there. The food was the best of any albergue I stayed in and the welcome very warm. We were well fed, rested and ready the next day's steep climb up to O'Cebreiro. I recommend it as an alternative.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What's the latest?

Has anyone stayed at O Cebreiro albergue recently? I had planned on staying at the hostel at the end of August but perhaps I should schedule a stop somewhere else instead.

Another option is to stay at La Faba between Ruitelan and O'Cebreiro. It is a small refuge in a very beautiful setting. The German society folks who run it are lovely, and it is a overall a great place to stay. There is a small village nearby which serves an evening meal.

I'm with Donovan. It's also easier dealing with the climb at the start of the day, rather than the end. There's a nice garden to chill out in, too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum