• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Almost...

PEI_Heather

Canadian Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 - Voie de la Nive
2012, 2016 - Frances
2013 - Portuguese
2012, 2013 - Finesterre & Muxia
Another six days and I fly out, over to London.
Another ten days and I travel to Bayonne then to St Jean Pied de Port.
Another eleven days and I start to walk!
Holy moly. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am looking at my house, strewn wall to wall with camping/hiking/walking gear, as well as the normal flotsem and jetsom. Today and tomorrow I become a reverse tornado and tidy this up for my housesitter (and me).

Presentation on Monday. Work on Monday, Tuesday. Over two tons of pellets for my pellet stove delivered on Wednesday--hump those into my basement (my Camino exercise for that day). Then Thursday. Thursday, the final day to check and double check that everything is ready and packed. And the day to take off. :shock: :D :shock:

I don't think I'm ready for this.

Questions. A couple that I've been trying to sort out; a couple silly ones that have popped into my head.

To leave Santiago, once the walking is over, do people prefer to go by bus, plane or train? To go directly home or head for a small respite from walking so much?

Do people get railpasses and are they worth it?

When people arrive at a augbergue and take off their boots, where do they leave them? (Inside? Outside? Under their bunk? On their bunk? In their bunk, hahaha!?) I've read a couple postings where someone had her boots taken by someone with the same brand but with a different foot size; someone had her trail shoes taken which also had copies of her passport, insurance, etc underneath the shoe liner. Just wondering.

Email copies of passport and other important papers? Take copies? Where do you keep them so they are safe?

I don't know what time I'll be getting to SJPP on the 8th, but the Pilgrim's Office will be opened when I get there, right?, to help me find a place to stay for the night? (Though I guess perhaps I could meet someone on the train who has an answer to that question.) I think for the first night I may want to stay at a private hostel to get a good nights sleep. Any recommendations in SJPP?

Did anyone walk the Camino last year and hear about or meet a young Scottish lad who walked the whole way in a kilt? He was a massage therapist and helping to pay for his trip by giving massage to pelegrinos along the way.

Are there massage therapists and chiropractors in the smaller centres or (if I am in need) just in the larger cities/towns?

How is the bedbug situation along the (Camino Frances) trail? (Begbugs... :( )

Sorry...pre-trip jitters. I've enough energy in me right now, you'd think I drank 40 cups of coffee. Strong coffee. With chocolate covered coffee beans for garnish.

Thanks! Cheers and Buen Camino! :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are ready.You'll feel it the first step you take on the camino, don't worry, ever body goes through this stage, just keep on "living"till you start.
leaving Santiago- Easyjet any where, the easiest fatsest way, you won't like it travelling a whole day at least by train after this entensive walk.
If you order now -they're cheap, even cheaper then train pass.
Shoes- each albergue and its rules, generally outside, tie them together if you worry some one will make a mistake, withdraw insoles to dry.
Passport- always carry with you, even to the shower, make copies and save them to your internet mail inbox
SJPDPD sleeping- reserve ahead. If you arrive in the early afetrnoon ' do a short sighseeing, get your passport stamped and walk the first 5 km up to Hounto, it'll make it easier the next day.

Don't worry so much. just start walking and after 2 days it'll feel like home.

Thanks Zammy! I appreciate the info and the words. I'm a worrier by nature until I get on the road, then I just let nature and serendipty be my guide!
I'm going to look into EasyJet again. I quickly went on the website but will go back. I don't want to book anything as I don't know what day I will arrive in Santiago! I wonder if the airline has open tickets like the bus services and trains do... :)

Cheers!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Heather

Lots of questions, so hopefully I can answer some.

First I assume you are from PEI - if so, then hello from the other side of Canada

Re staying in Santiago. If you have time, take the time to explore the city and better still the rest of northern Spain. You may or may not be back that way, so if you don't have to rush home - slow down and enjoy the moment.

Re Rail passes. Since you are arriving in Bayonne France by plane, I would suggest not to bother. My experience with rail passes (I have been to Europe a couple of dozen times) is that they only make sense when you plan to travel long distances (over 4-6 hours) and/or in countries like Germany, France, Switzerland (ie northern Europe) If you decide to go with a pass, then buy the second class flex pass for 3-4 days within 2 months plan. But given what you have described I think you are better off not getting a pass.

Re boots and albergues. Each one is different but normally you leave your boots at the entrance or in a special boot room/section. Switch into your afternoon/evening sandals, whatever but many people simple walk in their socks to their beds. Done the camino twice and never experienced anybody that has lost their boots. Left behind poles, hats and gloves, underwear on the line, etc but not boots

Passports: Different opinions but I always carry a money belt where I keep my important documents like my passport, plane tickets, etc and depending on the place take it with me (around my waist). Traveled this way for more that 10 years and I am still using the same money belt. And I have a photo copy of the passport and any credit cards, id cards, etc in the belt too.

I did the camino for the second time last year and met a guy from Nova Scotia (Charles) who wore a kit all the way but I am sure he did not massages. But a fun guy to meet in any case

Here are some of my photos from my various caminos I have done (5 in total) including the last one in France this past May and June, when my wife and I walked from Le Puy to Lourdes.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113275942061875339803

Neville

PEI_Heather said:
To leave Santiago, once the walking is over, do people prefer to go by bus, plane or train? To go directly home or head for a small respite from walking so much?
My choice is to stay in Santiago about 5 days and leave by airplane. 5 days in Santiago is quite a long time but I love Santiago and love to go to the mass 2 - 3 times a day.

I agree you're ready to go. There will be food, drink and sleep wherever you go, which is pretty much what you need. As for Scottish people in kilts, I've never seen one and as a Scot can confirm that we don't regularly lift our kilts 'just for fun' unless provoked by excessive alcohol consumption. :D

The pilgrim office in SJPP can advise on all kinds of accommodation. Train passes are probably only useful if you're doing extensive travel before/after your Camino.

Re. documents. Just save them somewhere other than the originals. One in backpack and the other in pocket (sporran) etc. If possible send yourself an email with scanned images so you can access the basic info even if you get stripped of backpack, jacket and clothes. This extreme scenario doesn't happen often, though. Never, in fact. :)

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Leaving Santiago-sigh
There is a bus twice a day from Santiago to the Madrid airport-buses in Spain are very trustwrothy concerning timetables-their springs and suspension leave much to be desired. The ride is long, rough, few stops and should only be considered by those with iron will, iron bodies, and a bladder the size of a watermellon-they also involve changing buses in Madrid. Trains are much more comfortable can also be trustred but cost almost as much as flying. Santiago has a wonderful small airport, never really busy but few flights. If you consider flying order your ticket early, you may not find a seat at the last minute. Vigo has a larger airport as does A Coruña both easily reached by bus or train.

S

Thank you all!

Hmmm. From the sounds of it, to get out of Santiago cheaply and with all human springs attached, it might be best to do a reverse Camino~~walk back from whence I came! I'm not sure I have a bladder the size of a watermelon and neither an iron will at times so perhaps I'll leave the bus for more hearty souls!

Since I'm not quite sure when I will arrive in Santiago, I don't want to book a flight in advance, but knowing there are a couple cities/towns that also have options for transportation gives me a sense of relief. Perhaps I should just let this go and think about it when I am closer the end of my walk on the Camino then before I start it. (It's not easy to do, but I will try...!)

@Tyrrek Just for you. I lived for a long time in Halifax, Nova Scotia! It's a beautiful small city on the east coast of Canada, on the Atlantic Ocean.

I was asking about the young Scottish lad as he paid for his Camino by giving massage therapy to people along the way. (The kilt was how people recognized him!)

Tomorrow I will set up my printer (new to me) and will scan my documents and send them as an email to myself. So much easier than carrying a couple copies that could get wet or torn or made off with.

Thanks again, everyone!

PEI_Heather said:
@Tyrrek Just for you. I lived for a long time in Halifax, Nova Scotia! It's a beautiful small city on the east coast of Canada, on the Atlantic Ocean.
As with many North American cities you've taken a good thing and made it better. York is lovely, but New York is much more exciting. I've heard that Halifax NS is a great city. Halifax, West Yorkshire is a bit of a dump. :D Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
tyrrek said:
PEI_Heather said:
As with many North American cities you've taken a good thing and made it better. York is lovely, but New York is much more exciting. I've heard that Halifax NS is a great city. Halifax, West Yorkshire is a bit of a dump. :D Buen Camino!

Hmmm. Maybe you'd better some over to the Maritime Provinces of Canada (PEI, NB , NS) to do Camino de Lobster. You can have lobster (and oysters, mussels, clams, etc) fresh off the boat wherever you go, including Halifax and Charlottetown (where I am from)! :D

I am in planning stages for my first Camino, I want to leave tomorrow, but... Anyway, when I travel, even around home, I carry my phone and or iPod with a picture of both my driver's license and my Passport. You never know when you might need ID.

True that, Crazyot. I think I will email (copies of) mine to myself. If I lose the physical ones, there will be easy access to my info.

I'm not leaving tomorrow but soon! I really wonder where the last one-two months disappeared to. Really. It was just August, wasn't it?! :lol:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
PEI_Heather said:
Hmmm. Maybe you'd better some over to the Maritime Provinces of Canada (PEI, NB , NS) to do Camino de Lobster. You can have lobster (and oysters, mussels, clams, etc) fresh off the boat wherever you go, including Halifax and Charlottetown (where I am from)! :D
I would love that. On my first Camino I was greeted in Santiago by two female Newfoundlanders (NOT Canadians!) who I'd met along the way. They knew what I needed (a beer) and sat me down outside while they sorted it out at the bar. Great women! Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Crazyot
Oh! That is a great idea! Then I can send to my email and have the image on me! Thanks for the most excellent tip! My mind is firing on ALL cylinders at the moment. I'm leaving tomorrow!!!
And have a list as long as my arm of things still to do!
As we say in the Maritimes: git 'er done! :D
Cheers!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You write well. Recognizable. Others have given good answers.
Wishing you a buen Camino :)

Thank you, Vigdis! I appreciate that!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back