Alternative Camino Routes for a First-Timer

charrita

Dec 23, 2012
www.go-nicole-go.com
Time of past OR future Camino
April (2013)
I'm planning on walking to Finisterre in April 2013 and keep going back and forth on which Camino to take. I'm interested in a route that isn't very busy so I can have some solitude, but is still easy to find shelters, etc as a woman walking alone. I'd particularly like a route that is more nature path and less road. I'm from Vermont (USA) and accustomed to hiking by myself in the wilderness.

I'm planning to start the trip with a visit to the Caves at St Baume outside of Marseille to pay respect to Mary Magdalene and the divine feminine, so the Arles route is very attractive (although I don't have enough time to walk all the way from Arles). However I don't speak any french yet (my spanish is decent) and I've read about difficulties finding refugios along that route. I'm also curious if I do the Arles route, will I miss any quintessential spots before meeting up with Camino Frances in Puente la Reina?

People say Le Puy is beautiful but I can't find a place in the middle that I could easily hop on from the train. I would want to start at least 3 days before St Jean to get my legs under me before the Pyrenees crossing. The Camino Norte also sounds lovely but again, concerned about having difficulty finding places to sleep. And now I keep hearing about the Porto route, and it may also be warmer in the late winter/early spring...

Any recommendations will be very welcome! Thank you!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

julie

Apr 17, 2006
Sydney NSW Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
You'll find that both the Le Puy and the Arles routes have a mix of road and nature walking. Both are beautiful. I have not walked them at the time you would be setting out so can't make a recommendation of one over the other.

If you are coming from Marseilles, you can join the Le Puy route at a number of stations depending on the time you have available. Those in the latter part of the route include Cahors (approx 15 days from SJPDP) and Lectoure (10 days).

You could join the route from Arles at Toulouse (approx 18-20 days from Puente la Reina), Auch (about 16 days) or Pau (to start from Lescar or Lacommande, about 10 days from P la R). The numbers of days depends on whether you walk the Col du Somport or whether you catch the bus.

Your pilgrimage will be special no matter which route you decide to do so don't worry about missing "any quintessential spots", every route has them and you'll find lots of differing opinions about what they are!

There's always next time ... and the time after that ... and ... :D

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello, I am looking for contact to friend/pillgrim Ignacio from Argentina. He started Camino sanabrese from Ourense 14.may and finished 20.may in Santiago. If you know him, please contact me.
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides