• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An Upper Body Exercise Regime

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
We do worry about upper body fitness don't we?
And if we don't, well then by golly we should.
Surely it therefore makes sense to introduce into our pre-Camino fitness program some form of exercise that will help in this regard.

With this in mind I would like to introduce a favourite one of mine for your consideration.
I found it on a running website.
I do so hope it is helpful.

The Great Tato Exercise Regime
One should commence by standing on an even, comfortable surface.
Ensure there is plenty of room to each side.

Now, with a 2-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute then relax.
Each day you'll find you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a few weeks move up to 5-lb bags.

Then try 10-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 20-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms out straight for more than a full minute.
(I’m at this level.)

After you feel confident at this level, try putting a potato in each bag.

Regards
Gerard

PS
Sometimes I feel as though I don't contribute much to the "Helpful to Pilgrims" part of this forum. I hope this goes some way to make up for that.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You got me Gerard...sucked right in, knowing it was a spoof but not expecting the empty bag part at all. Ha ha ha!
And a reality check for you...in case you hadn't noticed, you do make a few of us smile from time to time...which is a very nice contribution, thank you! I don't know what you weigh (and won't ask), but whatever it is, you're worth that much in gold.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We do worry about upper body fitness don't we?
And if we don't, well then by golly we should.
Surely it therefore makes sense to introduce into our pre-Camino fitness program some form of exercise that will help in this regard.

With this in mind I would like to introduce a favourite one of mine for your consideration.
I found it on a running website.
I do so hope it is helpful.

The Great Tato Exercise Regime

One should commence by standing on an even, comfortable surface.
Ensure there is plenty of room to each side.

Now, with a 5lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute then relax.
Each day you'll find you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a few weeks move up to 10lb bags.

Then try 50-lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms out straight for more than a full minute.
(I’m at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, try putting a potato in each bag.

Regards
Gerard

PS
Sometimes I feel as though I don't contribute much to the "Helpful to Pilgrims" part of this forum. I hope this goes some way to make up for that.
Gerard,you had me in the net up to the 10lb.weight then the penny started to drop!! What are you like? ha,ha,ha,!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gerard, if you don’t write That Book soon someone else might steal all your stories and write That Book instead. And then they will make lots and lots of money . . . . and then we will ALL be sad for you :(:p:D

Thanks a lot Gerard, for letting me laugh so loud that I just waked up my wife :eek::confused:;)
But please keep coming with your marvelous stories... The forum would be much too serious without them! :D

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

PS: will try the 10 kg bag tomorrow...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back