• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

another allergy question

trinencadian

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2013
Hey!

I noticed people asking allergy questions and thought I’d ask mine as well. Does anyone know how prominent fresh pork is in Spanish food? I can eat cured pork (ie cured ham and bacon) but anything fresh makes me horribly ill. Weird, I know. How likely would pork just randomly appear in a dish? And is pork lard used as a base in cooking, generally? I learned about pork lard the hard way after I chowed down on two tamales in Mexico a while ago… I'm planning to make sure I know "tengo una alegria al puerco" but thought I'd ask here anyway!

Thanks,
T

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is a pork-base cuisine!! You will need to ask about soups. Other dishes -- fish, beef, salads, octopus -- will be pork-free, but many vegetable dishes will have a pork base.

*bangsheadondesk* I suspected as much. Didn’t think about the soups and vegetables, though. Thanks, Falcon. Hopefully the pastries and fried foods aren’t done in pork lard!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum