• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Anyway to cover tops of favourite runners?

Sarah80

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk july 15
hi

Starting from Leon on the 22nd, walking to Finisterre. I've had rain every summer in Galicia so I'm aware I'm going to need to either carry my solomons (another kilo to the bag) or, my preference - work out a way to cover the tops of my mesh Asics which are like walking on air even for 30k distances. My Solomons are bareavle but will give me blisters!

How can I cover the tops of my regular trainers to make them waterproof? Any product does this?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are walking in the summer and it's a warm rain, why not bring hiking sandals instead and just get wet? Skin dries quickly again and you will have your dry Asics in your pack to put on afterwards. If your Salomons give you blisters they are no good to you anyway. There are things out there like cyclists' gaiters which cover the whole top of the shoe and zip up the ankle but if you are walking on wet ground your shoes might still get wet. Good luck!

Great recommendation! I knew of gaiters but they seemed to only go half way down the show and not cover the toe area but with the recommendation of cyclist gaiters I've found the solution! And no need to walk in the hellish solomons!

Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Try googling "rubber over shoes" or "rubbers for shoes". Years ago these were fairly popular and fit over one's dress shoes to offer protection from rain, slush, snow. I don't think I've seen anyone wearing them in years, decades since they're "not cool" but might do what you propose.
Buen camino!

Hi Sarah,

My only word of caution about gaiters or overshoes of any kind is to be aware of heat build up and reduced breathability. I bought some in Pamplona because I was tired of stopping to pick tiny stones out of my boots. I'm sure they contributed to my developing blisters on a particularly hot day walking through Rioja.

All the cycling shoe covers I have used depended on the sole of your foot never actually touching the ground and as such would not sustain much wear in that area, something else to keep in mind.

If you find a good option I'd love to hear about it.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Wow, that's fantastic, thank-you so much.

Most read last week in this forum