• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2013

irishgoose

I am planning doing this in April 2013. I have reservations about whether to do the France's or the Norte .
1- will the weather be good enough to go in April ?
2-Are there enough albugres open at this time?
3-pros/cons. Norte vs France's
4-1st time camino
5-I have hiked the smoky mountains ( Appalachian mountain trails) ...difficulty comparison

Expectations
Scenery, experience, people,food, in that order
I say this because I know France's is busier than Norte, but Norte looks more appealing to my expectations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Response on Primitivo thread to your post there re Norte/Primitivo :)

In 2011 April 1st was unseasonably warm at 30 degrees Celsius on the Norte. When I walked the Norte a month later it had cooled to 12-16 degrees. Because of the proximity to the ocean the weather is usually moderate but variable.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you. This is my first Camino....and I am not sure what to do....the Norte/Primitivo...or the Frances. I have about 34 days to walk...recommendations?

Expectations
Scenery, experience, people,food, in that order
Some might give other caminos the edge on scenery, but they would have to ignore the Pyrenees, the meseta, and Galicia. The Camino Frances is tops in the other three. You may never see people on some other routes! (a bit of an exaggeration, I admit)

I walked from St Jean Pied De Port to Burgous last July on the French Route with my wife, then returned in August and walked from Irun to Ribedesalla on the Northern route in August on my own.
I enjoyed them both but for different reasons. The French route was better serviced with Auberges, coffee stops and facilities. It was also much busier and had a greater variety of fellow walkers. It was my first Camino and I just loved it. The Northern route I found to be more difficult in comparrison. A lot more climbing and for the first stage as far as Santander an awful lot of asphalt. Having said that the scenery was spectacular, there is something about a view of the sea while walking that most people really appreciate. The same sea was of course very refreshing on many occassions. I met no native English speakers on the North route but this was not a problem as almost everyone (Spanish pilgrims included) speaks at least a little English, but this fact did embarrass me enough for me to take up Spanish classes for my return. I think that if you are speaking to a Spanish person in Spain you should at least attempt their language.
Basically though the fellow walkers/pilgrims that I met on both routes were some of the nicest people that I have ever met, and I have made friends with people from all corners of the world, for life I hope.
Back to your post. Based on what I know now, if I was you I would do the French route, particulary if it is in April for the following reasons; The route is easier to follow, I used the John Brierley book and found it excellent, there will be more people/pilgrims on it at that time of the year, accomodation will be easier, at least 50% of the Auberges that I stayed in on the North only open in the summer months, the weather will be better on the French route, walking and swimming in the sea was great on the North but I doubt if it will be warm enough in April for that.
Whichever route you decide I am sure that you will enjoy either, you can after all return and do any of the other routes at any time in the future. I intend to complete the North route at end of March/April next year and hopefully return in July to complete the French route, this probably goes against my advice above but is purely driven by time available and my fellow companions and to be honest it's not really about reaching Santiago for me but more about the whole experience along the way. After about one weeks walking I think that you will understand what I am saying and I wish you well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
polsmith63,

Thank you very much. I have been trying to come to a decision for some time now. I bought my ticket to Paris last May and have been unsure about what route for some time now. I have read these forums quite a bit. Looking on youtube for videos of the two main routes that I am interested in and weighing my options. I would just like to say thank you for your very thoughtful response in helping me in with my decision.

Hi I walked the Camino Frances in 2010 and the Primativo this September in 2012. I would definetly recomment the Primativo route - the scenery was outstanding, it was much more off road than the Camino Frances and much less crowded and so very much had a family feel as there were perhaps about 20 + people doing it and we kept meeting, walking together and mostly all arrived in Santiago on the same day. When we joined the Camino Frances at Melide, it was like joining a motorway of people. I am now considering doing the Camino Norte but still feel you would be hard pushed to beat the Primativo route. I wasn't particularly fit at the beginning and it was hard but was fit by the end!
Wishing you a buen camino - whatever you decide to do - it is wonderful to be living a simple life outdoors and meet many lovely people.
Sheila

Hello Irishgoose, and everybody else.

I have plane tickets booked for April, to Madrid. I was planning on doing the Camino Frances, but I'm still thinking about doing the Norte path. I'll arrive spain on April 2nd and will probably decide on spoth where to go hahaha, hopefuly we'll meet along the way.

I don't like planning ahead too much, I'd rather be surprised. But I'm open for tips and advice for either path.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back