• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Arlés in April

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
On the train to Paris where I have to change train station for the last leg to Arlés. We are a bit delayed so I really hope I can make it.

The train is noisy and I can’t make any phone calls today so I have emailed places in St Gilles and Vauvert one in St Gilles answered that they are full, so far no other answers.

Will meet a woman tomorrow morning at 08:30 for my credential. So a late start. I have some back pain so I might only walk to St Gilles.

Will try to update now and then with things from my Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the train to Paris where I have to change train station for the last leg to Arlés. We are a bit delayed so I really hope I can make it.

The train is noisy and I can’t make any phone calls today so I have emailed places in St Gilles and Vauvert one in St Gilles answered that they are full, so far no other answers.

Will meet a woman tomorrow morning at 08:30 for my credential. So a late start. I have some back pain so I might only walk to St Gilles.

Fantastic. I am looking forward to your posts. I was going to start from Arles in mid-June, but right now an uncertain holiday planning points me to Barcelona and the Camino Catalán. Where do you pick up a Credential in Arles? Will you walk to Somport, Puente la Reina or some other place?

Fantastic. I am looking forward to your posts. I was going to start from Arles in mid-June, but right now an uncertain holiday planning points me to Barcelona and the Camino Catalán. Where do you pick up a Credential in Arles? Will you walk to Somport, Puente la Reina or some other place?
I contacted Renee Debard and he forwarded my mail to a woman who lives next to the cathedral. She will meet me 8:30 outside the cathedral. What a service. I’m aiming for Somport initially then we will see where I end up. Have some ischias pain so I might have to discover how it is to do short stages :) I will walk as far as I get until I have to take a train back home. Starting my new work at May 17. I might come to the office directly from the train.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So excited to see you take on this route! It's been on my radar and I *might* find myself walking there this summer, we'll see. In the meantime, I hope your back pain doesn't make the walking difficult. Buen Camino, my Norte friend!

So excited to see you take on this route! It's been on my radar and I *might* find myself walking there this summer, we'll see. In the meantime, I hope your back pain doesn't make the walking difficult. Buen Camino, my Norte friend!

I know, so many Caminos to choose from. I am waiting for @BeatriceKarjalainen 's updates to sway me towards Arles this summer as well... Were are you heading to if not to Arles, Nadine?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @BeatriceKarjalainen Things are falling into place for you. 😍 loved the Arles Way but it was 2016 so I don’t have current information to give you. But I do hope you have a little time in Arles before you begin - an underrated town in my view. So much to offer with its Roman, Camino and Van Gogh connections.

We walked from Arles, over the Col du Somport and then on the Aragones to Obànos and then one day ‘in reverse’ to Pamplona. One of my favourite Ways.

Bon chemin pèlerine. 😎

PS. We started from Arles on 1 April 👍 we didn’t have much rain but every year is different. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Buen camino! I started in Somport last year (morning bus from Jaca to get there). I don't know if you should plan on spending a night in Somport. There was pretty much nothing up there. The hostal place was closed and other than that, there's nothing but ski resorts (which I think were also closed at that point, since the snow was gone). There's no one around. The wonderful new albergue in Canfranc Pueblo is 10 km from Somport, with major descent in elevation for that whole 10 km. Which will also take longer than you'd think 10 km would take because it's so breathtakingly beautiful that you'll want to stop and look around a lot!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know, so many Caminos to choose from. I am waiting for @BeatriceKarjalainen 's updates to sway me towards Arles this summer as well... Were are you heading to if not to Arles, Nadine?
@Bad Pilgrim I'm not sure yet, so many options! Back in 2019, when I re-walked the first half of the Norte, I said to myself- "I want to come back and walk this route every 5 years" (I'd also walked it in 2015). Well, it's been 5 years, and I was thinking it could be fun to walk Irun to Ribadeo, pick up the Ruta do Mar, then continue from Ferrol to Santiago (I haven't walked the Ingles, yet!)

But, then, there's France, which has its own allure...

I've never understood why the Arles Way isn't more popular, given the popularity of the Le Puy Way. It has a long history of pilgrimage, natural beauty of the landscape, some great towns (including Arles, Montpelier, Toulouse, Castres, Auch) and beautiful villages, wonderful gites and welcoming hosts, and you can cross the Col du Somport and continue on the Aragones. Or, after Oloron St Marie, you can walk on the Piemont to SJPP. Not that I'm trying to turn a quiet path into a busy one - but it's a bit surprising. 🤔

Hope all goes very well for you @BeatriceKarjalainen -- the first few days until Montpelier are not the most inspiring - we treated them as a warm up for what was to come! Bon chemin. 😎

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

My wife and I will be starting from Oloron Ste Marie on May 23, so we'll miss you, but I'll follow along!

I've never understood why the Arles Way isn't more popular,
Well we who have walked my promote it a bit more. My first day was quite nice. Arles to Vauvert 42 km via Le petit Rôhne. It was so green. Not much variation but I settle for green and 25C instead of snow snow and more snow. My partner texted me and said they have -17C at home.

My back is giving me some trouble. I have my sciatic/ischia nerve pinched so it feels like someone is sticking a knife in my butt cheek/back every step. But after around 12 km I don’t think of it. It makes me take shorter step. Up is a bliss don’t feel anything then. Down is worse but I press my fingers into the muscle and then it works. I hope it goes back to normal. I have had episodes since I carried my first child in 2000/2001.

My nemesis on this Camino is the language. I speak absolutely no French, I don’t have any use of the 3 languages I do speak. So it a bit of a challenge. But a lot of places had WhatsApp/text so then I can use Google translate.

I’m in the gîte municipal in Veuvert. Simple but it works. Eric is very welcoming and friendly. Have my own room.

IMG_6430.jpeg

That’s a long distance … Sorry your back is troubling you. Wishing you bon courage 🙏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well we who have walked my promote it a bit more. My first day was quite nice. Arles to Vauvert 42 km via Le petit Rôhne. It was so green. Not much variation but I settle for green and 25C instead of snow snow and more snow. My partner texted me and said they have -17C at home.

My back is giving me some trouble. I have my sciatic/ischia nerve pinched so it feels like someone is sticking a knife in my butt cheek/back every step. But after around 12 km I don’t think of it. It makes me take shorter step. Up is a bliss don’t feel anything then. Down is worse but I press my fingers into the muscle and then it works. I hope it goes back to normal. I have had episodes since I carried my first child in 2000/2001.

My nemesis on this Camino is the language. I speak absolutely no French, I don’t have any use of the 3 languages I do speak. So it a bit of a challenge. But a lot of places had WhatsApp/text so then I can use Google translate.

I’m in the gîte municipal in Veuvert. Simple but it works. Eric is very welcoming and friendly. Have my own room.

View attachment 167370

42 kms gives me a back pain just thinking about it...!

But it does look beautiful! Happy to hear you have nice weather!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back