• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Portugalete?

cailinnua

Hello there everyone,

I haven't been in touch for a while, but getting very excited about continuing my journey on El Norte next week!

Having fallen in love with El Frances last April, I started el Norte last Sept/Oct (Irun to Bilbao) and now I fly back into Bilbao to walk on from there. My question is how people would advise me to start my first day-I arrive into Bilbao airport at 15.30, so do people think I should walk on to Portugalete and spend my first night there? Or do you think better to spend the night in Bilbao and then walk a longer distance on morning one- ie leaving Bilbao in the morning?

Another question is the Albergue in Portugalete open the end of May?

And finally, how are pligrims getting on these days on el Norte?? How is the weather? Are the albergues open?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and buen camino!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi cailnnua.
I´m currently in Bilbao, I think I would stay in Bilbao,there is a very good albergue near the Hospital behind the Termibus station. Do not follow the arrows, with the hospital behind you cross the road and head to the right up the hill, there are very few arrows. The arrows marked a or albergue lead eventually to a closed school.

regards

George

Most read last week in this forum

If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....
please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back