Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Bilbao Airport to Portugalete

jsalt

Jill
Past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, has anyone here walked directly from Bilbao Airport to get onto the camino, next to the estuary route, to Portugalete?

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
I saw that AFTER I took the bus to the airport!!! Seems doable and definitely a shortcut if you don’t want to visit Bilbao. Even the bus takes a circuitous route to get to the downtown area! Plus the walk to Portugalette is not that great. I say you do it and let us all know! 👍

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
I have driven to the airport many times from Biarritz. I would say it is doable and probably fairly easy to find your way, but it is all commercial and probably only sidewalks along busy streets.

Last edited:

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
There is a monastery near the airport that offers rooms: Monasterio de la Merced. Info on their website.

If you don’t mind the added distance, there are certainly smaller roads to walk on that will cover that same trek.

manoll

Peregrina 2013
Past OR future Camino
Hi, has anyone here walked directly from Bilbao Airport to get onto the camino, next to the estuary route, to Portugalete?
When I was doing CDN in 2013 a friend of mine decided to meet me along the way. She had my tentative itinerary so she flew into Bilbao, but I was already in Castro Urdiales, and without any hesitation she literally got off the plane and walked to Portugalete without a problem. It took us about 2 days to eventually hook up in Laredo.

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Past OR future Camino
Bilbao is one of the nicest cities in Spain. Why miss it? The walk from Bilbao to Portugalete, on the other hand, can best be missed. But don't miss the moving bridge in Portugalete. Buen Camino

jsalt

Jill
Past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Bilbao is one of the nicest cities in Spain. Why miss it? The walk from Bilbao to Portugalete, on the other hand, can best be missed. But don't miss the moving bridge in Portugalete. Buen Camino
I don't intend to miss it. I have been through Bilbao on the Norte before, and I intend to stay there for a couple of days on the way back, to get the return flight. I have also walked from Bilbao to Portugalete alongside the estuary before, and I really liked it. It was a Sunday, so all the industry was closed, and I loved being there when it was so quiet. And, yes, I crossed the bridge!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads