• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus - Santiago to Leon

andarilho

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin Podiensis start planned for September 2022.
I'm flying into Santiago de Compostela on Thursday, May 31 at 15:40 and the only ALSA bus to Leon, from where I want to start my walk, is at 8am the next day, Friday, June 1st (from checking their website timetables). Same situation with Renfe trains. If possible I would like to get to Leon on the Thursday, even if it's late, to leave as much time as possible to undertake the walk back to Santiago. I don't think a taxi is feasible, based on likely cost. Does anyone know of any other possible bus services from Santiago to Leon, or other suggestions? many thanks for any help, regards.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry to say, but I think you've found the two options, both early morning departures from Santiago. You'll arrive in Leon in early afternoon, and could conceivably start walking then. But that's a pretty late start for a full day's walking, so you'd probably only make it to Virgen del Camino, 8 or 9 kms out of Leon. (the next albergues are 16 or so kms further on, I think).

But don't be too sad to be stuck in Leon, it's a beautiful city and you can enjoy the cathedral and the historic core (the Barrio Humedo) where there are great tapas and a very convivial atmosphere! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Laurie & Julie, appreciate your help. As you both say, great idea to use the time to explore some of Leon, George

If you put Santiago to Oviedo into the ALSA search, check the 'no date' box and enter you will get a number of buses show. Some go via the north, others are more direct, most go through Leon. Click on the show button to get their routes.
A long journey, sometimes with a stop and change in Ponferrada. Putting Santiago-Leon into the search only produces that single bus, via Lugo.
Just been doing a similar search ourselves for post Camino return to Santander via Leon.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back