• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Buying walking sticks in SJPDP

DonaldGimmy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. Oct. 2015 SJPD to Santiago
Can I buy walking sticks in St. Jean Pied de Port? If yes, about how much? It seems it would be easier to buy them in SJPDP rather than risk traveling with them. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

I bought mine there. It cost 20€ Per stick. I am bringing mine again this year as I would not be without them.

Buon Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is the exact info I was looking for too! thanks!

You can also buy awesome wooden sticks for under €10 each in SJPP and all along the Camino. They make very nice mementos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I am interested in buying wooden sticks but am not sure if I am allowed to bring them back to Australia with me. I will be starting my camino in August.

Hi, I am interested in buying wooden sticks but am not sure if I am allowed to bring them back to Australia with me. I will be starting my camino in August.
I bought a wooden sticking SJPP and managed to bring it home by taping it to my checked bag and putting it in "oversize" luggage. A great souvenir.

Last year I bought "high end" sticks that are similar to my Black diamond ones for 22e each. My sticks from home got "lost" in transit.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, sorry for my ignorance, but am not sure what "high end" means in regards to walking sticks. Also, I will only have carry on luggage, not checked in luggage.

There are differences between a 10e stick and a 22e stick. I preferred the more expensive stick due to its lighter weight and a very good method of clamping the sliding sections together. Go to a local store before you leave and see what they have. Or better yet use the internet for your search. Remember that you will need two of then and if you haven't used them before check on the internet for a video or two on how to use them.

Thanks. Will try to "try some out" before we make the final choice. I will definitely watch some instructional videos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are coming through Bayonne there is a Decathlon outdoors store with a range of hiking poles. The French site will have the prices or check the UK site for product descriptions. Warning: Much like a trip to IKEA one has to resist the temptation to buy extras. Actually easier than IKEA as you've got to carry it all.

You can also buy awesome wooden sticks for under €10 each in SJPP and all along the Camino. They make very nice mementos.

Mine was 18 euros. But it was one of the taller ones. I loved it. Wouldn't walk with anything else. Sadly, the airline lost it. I still miss Mr. Stick.

Most read last week in this forum