• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances 4 May 2019

Wren

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2019
Planning is well underway, even though this is a way off! Our deposits have been paid, so it is REAL now! We are also starting to collect our bits of kit we need as we go along.

So far I have a hat, head torch, quick dry towel and a hydration daypack. My new boots (I much prefer them for dog walking here in UK so they will be dual purpose) are on the way, and will be well broken in and comfy by the time we start walking.

Theory is, that by breaking things down into manageable chunks, it won't be a last minute panic. Who am I kidding, there is bound to be a last minute panic! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All very sensible. Just don't do what I did and have boots so well broken in that they're falling apart half way through the camino!

Thanks Dorpie, don't worry, they won't be worn out, both of my last pairs were good boots, and lasted over 4 years each with practically constant wear, so I'm expecting these to be just right by May. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good plan to get your boots worn in by the time you walk. I also tend to chip away at things for months ahead. I’ll be walking in Feb and Mar. I hope to also avoid the last minute rush. A few other items to nail down early: backpack, socks, and trekking poles. I added trekking poles because if you aren’t used to the them, it takes some practice to get the technique down. I’m a big proponent for trekking poles if used properly.

Good plan to get your boots worn in by the time you walk. I also tend to chip away at things for months ahead. I’ll be walking in Feb and Mar. I hope to also avoid the last minute rush. A few other items to nail down early: backpack, socks, and trekking poles. I added trekking poles because if you aren’t used to the them, it takes some practice to get the technique down. I’m a big proponent for trekking poles if used properly.
Thanks Tom, I have a backpack sorted out, just haven't bought it yet, it's sitting on a wishlist! We are having our packs transferred as part of our trip, but trust me, choosing a hydration daypack took me some time! I think I have one that will do the job now though. I don't need to carry much with me.

I bought cooling socks when I bought the boots both have now arrived, and luckily it is currently raining so I have a real reason to wear my new boots for dog walking later! I am a bit confused though, the socks pack stated they are liner socks, does this mean they are meant to be worn under another pair, or doesn't it matter much? I do have hiking socks, always have had for wearing with my boots walking the dog, and have heard people mention wearing two pairs of socks on the Camino.

I also have trekking poles on the wish list, and have been advised many times that they are a great help. I can sometimes have knee problems, so they were one of the first things I checked out.

Thanks Tom, I have a backpack sorted out, just haven't bought it yet, it's sitting on a wishlist! We are having our packs transferred as part of our trip, but trust me, choosing a hydration daypack took me some time! I think I have one that will do the job now though. I don't need to carry much with me.

I bought cooling socks when I bought the boots both have now arrived, and luckily it is currently raining so I have a real reason to wear my new boots for dog walking later! I am a bit confused though, the socks pack stated they are liner socks, does this mean they are meant to be worn under another pair, or doesn't it matter much? I do have hiking socks, always have had for wearing with my boots walking the dog, and have heard people mention wearing two pairs of socks on the Camino.

I also have trekking poles on the wish list, and have been advised many times that they are a great help. I can sometimes have knee problems, so they were one of the first things I checked out.
Liner socks are meant to be worn under a pair of hiking socks. I wear a liner pair when hiking. You’ll get differing points of view on liner socks. I find they help me avoid hot spots and blisters.

On your backpack, did you have it professionally fitted? It’s super critical to try it on with someone who is trained on fitting backpacks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I thought that would be the case for the socks, thanks for confirming! The one I am getting is a forclas Air that have various adjustment bits and is designed for women, when I get it, I will get it fitted properly as I know this is very important, I don't want to be damaging any of my ancient creaking bones and muscles by wearing it incorrectly. :) This is the one I have saved http://www.twobagsandasuitcase.com/2014/quechua-forclaz-40-air-backpack-review

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.